Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia Lumia 920

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I actually started to look in to androids again now. So far on the books s3 or note 2. What's the nexus 4? Never heard of it.

I got the note 2 after the delay by Nokia - you can even see me expressing my interest a few posts back in the 920 (and then expressing displeasure at the lack of a radio/memory card slot in a flagship phone...)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It does have a radio doesn't it?

I agree the lack of a memory card slot is a downer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Griffinx

As far as I understand they will not sell online to buyers from Ireland though. You would need to walk into a shop.

Are Phones4u in the North?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

stevenmu wrote: »
    It does have a radio doesn't it?

I agree the lack of a memory card slot is a downer though.

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Nokia-Lumia-920-FM-Radio/td-p/1565054

http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/lumia920/specifications/

"Nokia Mix Radio" is online radio as far as I know - not the real thing (FM radio).

Interesting to see on the nokia discussion forum some people stating that a radio is a useless feature...whereas for me it was the single most missed feature of my old smartphone. I say I spend more time using the radio than the camera or even on phone calls. Time, if I was using 3g data, that costs me money for what would otherwise be free.

I don't think it's a hardware limitation - they just don't want people to have this feature for some (financial?) reasons.

Sorry to whinge but this is one issue that really gets my goat. I'm probably not going to buy a phone that doesn't have a FM radio any more (until FM radio is phased out by DAB or its successors).

My girlfriend misses radio on her iPhone too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Last time I used a radio on my phone was when phones had midi ring tones as standard and couldn't play anything else.

Last time I used a radio on my phone was when phones had midi ring tones as standard and couldn't play anything else.

Wow, didn't realise that it didn't have FM radio. I just assumed it would. I have a Lumia 710 at the moment and it's a great little radio player. That's something I'd really miss a lot, might have to rethink what phone to go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Thirdfox wrote: »
    I don't think it's a hardware limitation - they just don't want people to have this feature for some (financial?) reasons.

My guess is that it probably is a hardware limitation and a tradeoff with other potential users of the limited space available in a phone. Radio aerials will interfere with the other quite complicated receivers and sensors in a smartphone. Its probably not insurmountable from an engineering point of view, but probably not deemed a priority based on usage of phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Unlike the Lumia 920, it's quad-core

remember that LTE phones are dual core only due to hardware limitations..
    So far only qualcomm processors are compatile with their own LTE modems.

Nvidia and others etc are working on their own versions etc to enable quad-core and LTE.

http://www.mobileburn.com/18806/news/qualcomms-lock-on-lte-or-why-we-dont-have-quad-core-lte-devices-yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Is it just me or does it look like a good bit of the screen is taken up by the bottom buttons?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpCJwD5vhZk

• Advertisement

boc121 wrote: »
    Is it just me or does it look like a good bit of the screen is taken up by the bottom buttons?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpCJwD5vhZk

looks nearly an inch...wtf is it with these ridiculous large bezels??
    I'm happily take a hit on specs if the bezels were pretty non-existent.

Blazer wrote: »

looks nearly an inch...wtf is it with these ridiculous large bezels??
    I'm happily take a hit on specs if the bezels were pretty non-existent.

The bigger the bezel the smaller the chance of you constantly hitting the screen when you don't want to

The bigger the bezel the smaller the chance of you constantly hitting the screen when you don't want to

prob explains why my s3 shattered with a 2 foot drop :D

920 for sale in Finland now for 486 euro plus 23% VAT. (I.e. 600 euro)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

fits wrote: »
    920 for sale in Finland now for 486 euro plus 23% VAT. (I.e. 600 euro)

nice, any links to an online store? ;-)

Elisa.fi and sonera.fi so but they don't have English language versions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I just can't justify spending that 600+ on one of these. And I haven't been impressed by the form factor either, it looks odd in the hand.

The Nexus 4 has me interested. Ah sure I'll wait and see how it pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

FWIW the HTC Windows Phone 8X has been getting excellent reviews and should be out this month (according to HTC's Facebook page) and it has a bit smaller of a form factor. Certainly a great phone and might be worth looking at if you can't wait for the 920.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

MJohnston wrote: »
    FWIW the HTC Windows Phone 8X has been getting excellent reviews and should be out this month (according to HTC's Facebook page) and it has a bit smaller of a form factor. Certainly a great phone and might be worth looking at if you can't wait for the 920.

The real question is: Has HTC learned anything from the Titan? For me (a Titan owner) I feel abandonded by HTC with regards to support! There are littles issues with the phone, related to signal strength, WiFi (and many more problems based on the other forums) and there has been no support from HTC with patching the issues. I look at sites who detail all of the Nokia patches they received since the start (900 & 800) and you can clearly see that Nokia are actually supporting the phones!

HTC's support model for the Titan was to realease the Titan 2 but not in EU but that has similar issues.

Its actually the main reason I will wait for the 920, I'd even consider the Ativ S before another HTC!

• Advertisement

Diddy Kong wrote: »

The real question is: Has HTC learned anything from the Titan? For me (a Titan owner) I feel abandonded by HTC with regards to support! There are littles issues with the phone, related to signal strength, WiFi (and many more problems based on the other forums) and there has been no support from HTC with patching the issues. I look at sites who detail all of the Nokia patches they received since the start (900 & 800) and you can clearly see that Nokia are actually supporting the phones!

HTC's support model for the Titan was to realease the Titan 2 but not in EU but that has similar issues.

Its actually the main reason I will wait for the 920, I'd even consider the Ativ S before another HTC!

That's where I was. There was quite a huge amount of issues with the titan and they did **** all about it. Even though 8X looks great Im scared to go near them now.

Lumias screen looks a hell of a lot better than the 8X,

Diddy Kong wrote: »

Yeah I'm totally waiting for the 920 for a number of reasons:

- Camera looks amazing
    - I adore my Lumia 800 design and I think I'll love the 920's style too
    - Nokia software, Drive, Music etc. Amazing stuff.
    - Burned in the past with terrible support from Asian mobile phone manufacturers (Samsung especially) whereas Nokia's has been superb
    - Nokia just make very reliable hardware
    - Wireless charging

Also, I'm not in a huge rush to upgrade yet either.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Yeah I'm totally waiting for the 920 for a number of reasons:

- Camera looks amazing
    - I adore my Lumia 800 design and I think I'll love the 920's style too
    - Nokia software, Drive, Music etc. Amazing stuff.
    - Burned in the past with terrible support from Asian mobile phone manufacturers (Samsung especially) whereas Nokia's has been superb
    - Nokia just make very reliable hardware
    - Wireless charging

Also, I'm not in a huge rush to upgrade yet either.

I'm with you on many of those points

One thing is for sure, I have no interest in going back to iOS or Android. Ever day I have some little encounter that reminds me how much I love the Windows/Windows Phone ecosystem. Like taking a photo from the lockscreen of my phone, walking back to my computer and it already being in my Pictures folder (thanks to Skydrive) or while using the fantastically well done Smartglass apps with my Xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

The Independent has the Nokia Lumia 920 as their number 1 best smartphone. They seem to like being able to use the touch screen with your gloves on. That will be handy come winter time :D

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/the-10-best-new-smartphones-8269763.html?origin=internalSearch#disqus_thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Proper reviews coming out now. Mostly positive, nothing that should stop you if you've set your heart on this phone.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/1/3584486/nokia-lumia-920-review

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/6042/nokia-lumia-920-windows-phone-review

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/16087_PureView_shootout_Nokia_808_vs.php

Also sim free version up on cyberport.de now for €599 but looks like the rumour that grey isn't going to be immediately available is true :(

• Advertisement

The common negatives with Windows Phone reviews are that the ecosystem sucks. I'll be honest, I've been using it for approximately 2 years and the only app that I miss with any regularity is Hailo.

Now, I will say that I would be lying if I didn't want app developers to start taking Windows Phone more seriously - there is sometimes a lag between an iOS app and the WP one. But I'm a particularly geeky person and generally can't live without the latest thing and I have been incredibly happy with Windows Phone - I think perhaps it is because the non-app ecosystem is so wonderfully constructed or because when apps do arrive, they are inevitably the best looking versions. Or perhaps it's live tiles, whose usefulness you don't fully appreciate until you have to slum it with iOS for a week.

The second negative about the Lumia 920 seems to be about the size, so I will definitely check it out in a store before I commit to it, but it's not a lot heavier than my 800, so I think I'll be fine, given how amazing the camera appears to be.

I think I read on the hailo website that the app was coming.That was about a month or two ago.

I found an interesting website that allows side-by-side comparisons of phones: http://versusio.com/en/htc-8x-vs-nokia-lumia-920 just watch out for some small errors in the specs of some phones.

I'm pretty interested in the Lumia 920 but have been concerned about size and weight, so have been leaning a bit towards the HTC 8x. However when you compare them side by side the HTC 8x is in fact a tiny bit taller, which is a serious issue when the power button is on the top of the phone. I find it tricky enough as it is to reach the power button at the top of my HTC HD7 (when one-handed, as you are most of the time), and it's a nice bit smaller than either phone. However the Lumia 920 has the power button on the side, so no problems there...

Despite that, the 920 weighs a ton, no denying it. It's the only negative mark so far for me, and apart from the lame ecosystem complaint it is pretty much the only other negative in most of the published pro reviews out there right now. The market leading camera and the wireless charging are the features that make it very compelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭obriea3

Proper reviews coming out now. Mostly positive, nothing that should stop you if you've set your heart on this phone.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/1/3584486/nokia-lumia-920-review

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/6042/nokia-lumia-920-windows-phone-review

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/16087_PureView_shootout_Nokia_808_vs.php

Also sim free version up on cyberport.de now for €599 but looks like the rumour that grey isn't going to be immediately available is true :(

Has anybody here used cyberport.de before? Anything I should be wary of if I buy?

I think I read on the hailo website that the app was coming.That was about a month or two ago.

Their website has had the "Launching soon on Blackberry and Windows Phone" message underneath the iOS and Android links since it launched in June. No hint of it as yet though :(

• Advertisement

obriea3 wrote: »
    Has anybody here used cyberport.de before? Anything I should be wary of if I buy?

I bought a Lumia 710 from them a few months back. Everything was perfect. Delivery took about a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 kearneyt

I had this online chat with Meteor a few minutes ago.

Tom: Hi, Do you have any idea when you will have any new windows 8 phones for bill pay?
    Anthony: Nothing has been confirmed yet Tom but we should be getting them in. In my own opinion I don't think it will be until after xmas but keep an eye on the website. We did receive a pricing list for them so that could be a good indicator.
    Anthony: Do you need any prices?
    Anthony: The best thing to do is to pick out a suitable plan for yourself and then I can advise you of the price of the phone on that plan.
    Tom: Yes if you have any prices for the HTC and Lumia models that would be great.
    Tom: I would probably be going for the €25 or €40 plans
    Anthony: We only have pricing for the HTC windows phone 8x and 8s
    Anthony: The price of the 8X on the lower plan at €25.41 is €229
    Tom: ok , at least that will give me an idea
    Anthony: On the next one up at €40 it's €129
    Tom: I am out of contract on sim only at present. If these phones are going to be delayed I might go for the lumia 800 but I am aware that these will not run windows 8. Is there any options for me on getting this and then upgrading when the new phones arrive?
    Anthony: No, unfortunately not Tom. Once you commit to a contract you won't be able to upgrade until it has expired. Please note that the Lumia 800 is not upgradable to Windows 8.
    Tom: Yes I understand that. One last question - It seems from what you are saying that meteor will not be getting the lumia 820 or 920 anytime soon?
    Anthony: Again, I can only speculate on this one Tom as I don't have any concrete information on this but the fact we haven't got prices for either of these phones leads be to believe it will be after xmas before we get them in.
    Tom: Ok , thanks a lot Anthony.
    Anthony: Sorry I don't have any more definitive info for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

Ordered on Cyberport.de - Will let ye know how it progresses (Currently saying 3-10 days before its available but I have known with some time that the 16th is the date Germany and the UK will start selling them)

FatB wrote: »
    Ordered on Cyberport.de - Will let ye know how it progresses (Currently saying 3-10 days before its available but I have known with some time that the 16th is the date Germany and the UK will start selling them)

If you arent already I'd say keep an eye on this thread over at WPCentral, up to date info from others who have ordered from Cyberport

Thanks, been a long time reader of WPC and never knew they had a forum >.>

10 pages is a lot to sift through but will try get the later pages in after work... Here's to hoping it's not bad news :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Anyone register a business account with Cyberport.de?
    I need to register with a VAT number but my German isn't great, even with Google translater.:D
    I need to know if they charge the VAT to EU registered customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Griffinx

I'm in the US at the moment and AT&T are launching the Lumia on Friday and I can get an unlocked one for $599.

Does anyone know if the AT&T model will work in Ireland now and also on LTE when it becomes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

Looks like AT&T are selling it for $450 off contract !

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/07/att-selling-unlocked-lumia-920-449-99/

Wow, that's a great price. I presume they'll be locked to ATT though which is a bit of a shame.

Griffinx wrote: »
    I'm in the US at the moment and AT&T are launching the Lumia on Friday and I can get an unlocked one for $599.

Does anyone know if the AT&T model will work in Ireland now and also on LTE when it becomes available.

I'm not quite sure if it does or does not work here but one definite warning that you might want to know about is your warranty will only be valid in the continent you purchased it in. German phones are still freely serviced here in Ireland but the American ones won't be etc.

• Advertisement

If only they sold it at that price here I'd buy it in a second :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Griffinx wrote: »

I wouldn't be too worried about LTE in Ireland.
    By the time we get LTE here the 920 will be an old outdated phone.:pac:

kaizersoze wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too worried about LTE in Ireland.
    By the time we get LTE here the 920 will be an old outdated phone.:pac:

And when it is first available it will only by accessible via stupidly expensive contracts. I predict at least 5 years before LTE is reasonably priced and widely available in Dublin never mind the rest of the country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Seems like we're not going to be getting the Cyan version until the new year according to the guy over on WP Central! Kinda sucks....was hoping to have one waiting for me when I moved back howe in a few weeks!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I want the grey one dammit :D

Mactard wrote: »
    I want the grey one dammit :D

Why is everyone looking for the grey one. I though that would be one of the least popular colours :)

Why is everyone looking for the grey one. I though that would be one of the least popular colours :)

I can't speak for anyone else, but I like it :pac:

cyberport.de have bumped up the price of their Lumia 920 to €620 (from €599) due apparently to feedback from Nokia that it was excessively less than the €650 RRP... meanwhile, Amazon.de sellers have increased their prices to as high as €772! Market forces eh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Is anyone tempted by the 8X given that it's looking like it'll be available on networks here sooner?

• Advertisement

AngryLips wrote: »
    Is anyone tempted by the 8X given that it's looking like it'll be available on networks here sooner?

I'm not.

Advertisement