Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia Lumia 920

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It does look like a very good phone. Not having Nokia Drive would put me off, if HTC do bring that in I'd be more tempted then.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

HTC 8X = €459 on pre pay from three, €515 on expansys, approx €500 from amazon.co.uk or €555 for black, €532 for blue or €598 for yellow !! from amazon.de

Lumina 920 is €769 on amazon.de

thats a big price difference between the 8x and the 920 €310 !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 kearneyt

I presume three.ie are joking with their contract pricing for this phone..........

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

HTC 8X = €459 on pre pay from three, €515 on expansys, approx €500 from amazon.co.uk or €555 for black, €532 for blue or €598 for yellow !! from amazon.de

Lumina 920 is €769 on amazon.de

thats a big price difference between the 8x and the 920 €310 !!!

that's from a marketplace seller, amazon.de are still expensive enough at €625/€599 black/white but at least it's not as bad as your figures :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

kearneyt wrote: »
    I presume three.ie are joking with their contract pricing for this phone..........

They did the same with the Lumia 800. It was 99 euro on a 2 year year contract.

I don't think Three wants those phones to sell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I would say once distribution is sorted and this phone is widely available the price will plummet to sub €500. Will most likely be after Christmas before that happens though

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

Mactard wrote: »
    that's from a marketplace seller, amazon.de are still expensive enough at €625/€599 black/white but at least it's not as bad as your figures :pac:

Yep...apologies your right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 chuckjits

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/nokia-gets-aggressive-with-sans-contract-lumia-920-pricing-290200

Hopefully they'll start to get this aggressive with pricing over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Just wondering where you seen three pricing?
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Can I just ask a question? Recently upgraded to an iPhone 5 but not feeling it any more and really like the look of the windows 8 phones.

The Lumia seems slightly more appealing but this is mainly due to the Nokia Music and (various) Map apps that ship with the phone.

Is there any chance that these will actually be available for the HTC 8x? Also, is that version that 3 have, the HTC Accord, the exact same phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

SK1979 wrote: »
    The Lumia seems slightly more appealing but this is mainly due to the Nokia Music and (various) Map apps that ship with the phone.

Is there any chance that these will actually be available for the HTC 8x?

Doubtful, Nokia will want to maintain some edge over the competition.
    Also, is that version that 3 have, the HTC Accord, the exact same phone?

That's just the development name of the phone, it's deffo the 8X

Nokia have made Drive (turn by turn GPS) available to the other OEMs, it's up to HTC to decide if they want to include it or not though. I think it's kind of doubtful that they will, it would be like putting a free ad for Nokia on their own phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Can I just ask a question? Recently upgraded to an iPhone 5 but not feeling it any more and really like the look of the windows 8 phones.

Is there any chance that these will actually be available for the HTC 8x? Also, is that version that 3 have, the HTC Accord, the exact same phone?

Possibly will not have and of the Nokia apps, but Xbox Music comes with all Windows 8 (and WP8) devices, which is essentially an iTunes/Pandora mashup i.e. you can stream, make playlists and purchase tracks etc. There is a free version that makes you listen to an ad every 5 songs or so. I'm not sure about the offline offering for the free service though

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭valdigre

It is a bit insane what is happening with Lumia 920.

I heard some rumors, that this device will most likely not be available in Ireland this year, be it on contract or SIM free.

I was hoping to source one from UK, but EE has exclusivity for it and it is impossible to get one completely unlocked...

I had it ordered from Germany, but I ordered a yellow one and who knows when those be available.

The most common are black ones, then white, but first batches have been completely sold out and who knows when new batches will be available...

On a side note, day light photos have been a big disappointment for me and I guess it is better to wait and see next couple of weeks will bring...

Nokia have confirmed that they will be fixing the daylight photo performance.

http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-to-fix-nokia-lumia-920-daylight-performance/

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭valdigre

I am aware of that, but until we see the results and it gets released, the daylight photos are very blurry and inferior to those of iPhone 5, which for me has become a point of reference.

They have basically released a non-finished product, I cannot imagine them not seing this issue, taking into account how much this phone was about the camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

valdigre wrote: »
    I am aware of that, but until we see the results and it gets released, the daylight photos are very blurry and inferior to those of iPhone 5, which for me has become a point of reference.

They have basically released a non-finished product, I cannot imagine them not seing this issue, taking into account how much this phone was about the camera.
    How tardy of them, suppose it'd kinda be like releasing a phone that had a design flaw that didn't allow for such a simple thing as a clear phone call to be made...actually that would be worse!

Popped into a Three store after work yesterday, looks like it's cheaper in the shops compared to the website, free on all 24m contracts.

AngryLips wrote: »
    Popped into a Three store after work yesterday, looks like it's cheaper in the shops compared to the website, free on all 24m contracts.

Did they have any dummys or demos to mess around with? Even though they probably dont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 kearneyt

This is in relation to the HTC 8X - The pricing is on their website when you go to bill pay for the 8x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

valdigre wrote: »

Nokia do this ALL THE TIME. I love their products (well, maybe less so these days) - but there are nearly always serious issues. For example, I am still using an E7 and I dare not let it run completely out of charge as it may never turn on again, see here. Years after the phone has been released, the issue has still not been resolved.

Did they have any dummys or demos to mess around with? Even though they probably dont

The shop on Grafton Street had a working model. At first I just assumed it was a dummy phone because the screen was static, that was until the salesperson started tapping away on it and the whole thing kicked off with the various animations.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mout

In relation to HTC 8X comments - I called to the Three store in Liffey Valley today. They have 8X phones for sale but no dummy phone or working one to show customers. Bit of a disaster really!

It's just launched, I'm sure one will arrive there in a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

In fairness lads, ye are chatting in the wrong topic - I've subscribed to this thread because I'm only interested in the Lumia 920 as its a far superior phone to the 8x and anything else currently on the market for what I personally want from my €600.

I don't feel a discussion regarding the 8x fits here or even has any benefit to anyone wanting to chat about that phone in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Can posters please keep on the topic, which is the Lumia 920, please. This includes comparisons that describe it as "as its a far superior phone" to X, because that's simply asking for trouble.

Any further reported attempts to drag this thread OT will be met with infractions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The 920 went on sale in the USA today.

I pre-ordered one from AT&T and it should be at home when I get back this afternoon. Black matte finish. I get sweaty palms so i figured it would be better than the glossy colours.

I've been an iphone owner from the beginning but when the iphone5 came out i was underwhelmed. Particularly with the lacklustre update to iOS. I originally was attracted to apple as being cutting edge new tech but lately they've just devolved into being the establishment. SO now its time for a Change.

I'm really excited to start using Win8.

Just from using the Lumia 800 I always thought the 800's matt finish was always a finger print magnet.

Cant keep that things clean for 5 mins

Just from using the Lumia 800 I always thought the 800's matt finish was always a finger print magnet.

Cant keep that things clean for 5 mins
    Can't say I plan on looking at the back of mine much!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'm considering going for the high gloss white version now...having originally only eyes for the grey one...much to ponder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

i have titan and lumia 800 , just waiting for 920 , was checkin in uk , its ava in UK on EE but dont when its gonna be in ava in ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

According to their FB page, they're just making an Irish market announcement about the 920 in December. Just an announcement, no mention of launching.

I'd say it'll be the new year before we see it here, particularly on the networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I'm considering going for the high gloss white version now...having originally only eyes for the grey one...much to ponder.

I have the white gloss 800, it really is very tasty. I even switched to meteor to get it so nice it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭niallharty

InTheTrees wrote: »
    The 920 went on sale in the USA today.

I pre-ordered one from AT&T and it should be at home when I get back this afternoon. Black matte finish. I get sweaty palms so i figured it would be better than the glossy colours.

How did you order it from At&T do you live in America?

Has anybody been able to order one successfully from anywhere?! Amazon.de won't deliver it to Ireland and Cyberport won't allow the transaction to be completed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

I've ordered from Cyberport, the missus had trouble with the zip code while trying to order, but I found leaving that part blank worked fine for me...

niallharty wrote: »
    How did you order it from At&T do you live in America?

Sorry yes. It arrived yesterday.

and after charging and activation I spent a good eight hours messing with it (only used about half a charge too).

After the iphone4 its Huge. And I'm still getting used to the size. I have big hands so it fits well. The case is really nice and solid, its shaped like a huge 4th gen ipod nano. The weight is fine. Its heavy but no heavier than the iphone in a bulky case.

Windows8 is fun. I really like it. But I really like change so it could just be an initial excitement at the huge difference. We'll see after a month or two. There is a huge increase in speed over the iphone. Speed of the device and connection speed. The 4g has been as fast as our home wifi.

So far I've been able to replicate about 75% of the apps I had on the iphone, and thats going to change fast now win8 is finally out.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Sorry yes. It arrived yesterday.

and after charging and activation I spent a good eight hours messing with it (only used about half a charge too).

After the iphone4 its Huge. And I'm still getting used to the size. I have big hands so it fits well. The case is really nice and solid, its shaped like a huge 4th gen ipod nano. The weight is fine. Its heavy but no heavier than the iphone in a bulky case.

Windows8 is fun. I really like it. But I really like change so it could just be an initial excitement at the huge difference. We'll see after a month or two. There is a huge increase in speed over the iphone. Speed of the device and connection speed. The 4g has been as fast as our home wifi.

So far I've been able to replicate about 75% of the apps I had on the iphone, and thats going to change fast now win8 is finally out.

:pac:

how the browser and camera m8?i would better like to hear from hands on fellow man, then reviewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

seriously considering a 920, going to AT&T today for a hands-on hopefully.

@InTheTrees: you're hardly using a Mac are ya? I'd like to know if the connectivity problems and syncing have been fixed in the Windows phone app. Don't forget to pick up your free charging pad on Friday!

The browser is adequate. Internet Explorer. My first impression were that it was clunky, a third of the screen was taken with menus. But to be honest I've only spent about 20mins max with it. On the other hand I didnt want to spend much more time with it. I've assumed that other browsers would be available in the app store but I havent seen any yet.

Same with the camera. I took a couple of shots in my low lit apartment to see the low light qualities that are being pushed. And it looked fantastic. Really good. But again only spent about 20mins with it.

Pics are auto saved to a folder. If you've set up "cloud drive" i think they get auto saved there as well which is good because you can then load them up on your PC without having to sync.

I installed the PC "windows phone" software. Iw as expecting something similar to itunes but its much more basic at this point. It seems more like a way of sync'ing with your PC rather than a control panel for the phone. That's okay though its still early days.

The "bing" (search) button works pretty well. I dont quite see the point though.

I tried CIty Lens yesterday in a quite built up area of seattle and it was pretty useless. Although I have a feeling there's some more set up I need to do.

GPS seems really good/accurate. Maps are Great. You can download maps to use offline too. No street view but I'd take them any day over google maps.

There's still a lot of features I still have no idea about. I only sent my first text this morning and it worked well. Nice actually, the win8 graphics are just more pleasant (i think) than the iOS.

I have three co-workers who I've promised playtime with the device tomorrow so I wanted to keep installing private stuff to a minimum until i've showed it around.

• Advertisement

muff03 wrote: »
    @InTheTrees: you're hardly using a Mac are ya? I'd like to know if the connectivity problems and syncing have been fixed in the Windows phone app. Don't forget to pick up your free charging pad on Friday!

No. PC.

What about the Free charging pad on Friday?? I was disappointed that I didnt get one with the phone. Whats the deal about friday?

No. PC.

What about the Free charging pad on Friday?? I was disappointed that I didnt get one with the phone. Whats the deal about friday?

Early adopters with AT&T get a free charging pad as an incentive, but they aren't shipping them yet:

http://nokiafreecharger.com/pages/holding

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/nokia/lumia-920-high-gloss-red.html#fbid=i2qZ3yJib9c

Finally got my order through from Cyberport, not shipping until the 15th at the earliest, but not a huge deal cause not moving back to Ireland until after that!

Went into AT&T to play with one of them today, really like the build of the phone and Windows 8 seemed very responsive, only had it for a few minutes so didn't get to look into anything in great detail! Happy I have it coming to me now!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Finally got my order through from Cyberport...

Are they really charging €600+ for it or am I wrong? AT&T are no-commitment for $450, I'm thinking an early Christmas present :D

Yeah they are, seems to be the standard sim free price so far, some have gone up to €750+!

That price is subsidized by AT&T and not sim free!

Was on to AT&T and the deal is you order it no-commitment and pick a plan, then once you get the phone, before you activate it you cancel with them and they send out the unlock codes. No fee. So $450 and walk away.

As of now there is no way they can be unlocked yet according to everything I've read, no codes available! Also, with the 6 month exclusivity I really doubt they are going to give away the codes straight away!

What network are you planning on using it on?! You know it won't have proper data capabilities on most other networks yeah?!

I was only chancing my arm with her to be fair, I said I'd be traveling with work so if I was to get it I'd need to be able to swap between networks. She said once I do like I said above I'd be fine using it abroad on GSM networks. I didn't get to go to any store today, gonna go tomorrow and suss it out a bit better, maybe go to the Microsoft store altogether too. I'm heading back home on Saturday so I'm kinda caught for time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Clove in the UK are selling white sim-free 920s starting tomorrow. Stocks are limited.

Source

£520 / €650

http://blog.clove.co.uk/2012/11/12/sim-free-nokia-lumia-920-white-arriving-tomorrow/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CloveTechnologysBlog+%28Clove+Technology%27s+Blog%29

White Nokia Lumia 920 coming to clove.Co.uK tomorrow

We are pleased to announce that we will have SIM-free stock of the Nokia Lumia 920 White arriving tomorrow, priced at £433.33 (£520.00 inc VAT).

• Advertisement
Advertisement