Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nipping at heels and jumping around!

• 07-09-2012 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

This has probably been our most long standing issue with my Boxer, I still haven't been able to find a solution to that works. And it makes life a bit difficult as my mother will not go out into our back garden even to hang Washington the line because she is afraid he will knock her which is a very real possibility.

When you walk outside he will be fine for the most part but when you walk on the grass he he will start jumping around, play bowing infront of you, when you don't start to play with him he will, start nipping at your heels and then barking. I've tried everything from completely ignoring him to dropping a container with pennies on the ground to try and shock him out of this behaviour, it is not nearly as bad for me but he really takes the piss with my mother or anyone else who goes out there and it has made our back garden at but of a no go zone when he is out there.

Does anyone have any ideas on what we could do to curb this, we had a behaviourist out and it really helped change him into a more manageable dog in many ways except for this one issue, I would like for my mother to be able to go in the garden without the fear of him knocking her over. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

try a household cleaning spray bottle with water in it (obviously wash it out thuroughly first!). after a few squirts and a strict 'NO!' they usually get the message.. unless he likes it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

try a household cleaning spray bottle with water in it (obviously wash it out thuroughly first!). after a few squirts and a strict 'NO!' they usually get the message.. unless he likes it :D

Thanks I will give that a go so and see, fingers crossed he doesn't like it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

My one does it all the time. Just being playful.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oh Hell Oui!

This behaviour seems pretty typical for boxers, they are 'boisterous' to put it mildly! Has the dog knocked anyone over or is it just barking?

This behaviour seems pretty typical for boxers, they are 'boisterous' to put it mildly! Has the dog knocked anyone over or is it just barking?

Your are completely right it is typical boxer behaviour, he hasn't knocked anyone over yet... It is an accident waiting to happen though, and I notice my mother being slightly fearful of his strength and it isn't fair on anyone which is why I want to curtail it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Thanks I will give that a go so and see, fingers crossed he doesn't like it :)

A drop of lemon juice in the water can help (depends on the dog though)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

One of our dogs loves to do this, and it can be pretty annoying! I have managed to stop her from doing it almost completely by stopping walking and standing stock still until she stops barking and nipping at my shoes. I accompany it with arms folded and a sharp 'no' a few times. I don't move off until she stops, and if she starts again when I walk, I wash, rinse, repeat, until she gets the message. It takes patience and persistence, and she is inclined to take up the habit again after a few weeks of being really good, but at least it stops it for a while.
    I don't know if this will work for your dog, as maybe you've already tried it. I have read that this behaviour is a sign of attempted dominance on a dog's part, but I don't know about that. It always just seemed like the dog was playing with me in the way that she plays with other dogs when they are excited.

Jelly2 wrote: »
    One of our dogs loves to do this, and it can be pretty annoying! I have managed to stop her from doing it almost completely by stopping walking and standing stock still until she stops barking and nipping at my shoes. I accompany it with arms folded and a sharp 'no' a few times. I don't move off until she stops, and if she starts again when I walk, I wash, rinse, repeat, until she gets the message. It takes patience and persistence, and she is inclined to take up the habit again after a few weeks of being really good, but at least it stops it for a while.
    I don't know if this will work for your dog, as maybe you've already tried it. I have read that this behaviour is a sign of attempted dominance on a dog's part, but I don't know about that. It always just seemed like the dog was playing with me in the way that she plays with other dogs when they are excited.

Well I would agree that it is a sign of attempted dominance, it's basically him saying I want to play and if you don't this it what I will do.

I have tried this and it works well for me but due to his size and strength, he is very big boxer, it scares her and I would like it if there was something she could do to make him stop when I am not around to put the foot down.

I notice my mother being slightly fearful of his strength and it isn't fair on anyone which is why I want to curtail it.

I understand, I had the same problem with my own dog to a certain extent and my mother was very nervous with him at the start.

She was afraid to correct him if he started playing too rough. As in your case when I was around there was no problem but I couldnt leave the dog at the house without me as it wasnt fair.

With me it was a case of getting my mother comfortable with him and getting her to correct him if he did something wrong even if I was there.

It took time for her to have the confidence to correct him if he started acting up. But once she did he started to respect her boundaries.

I notice my mother being slightly fearful of his strength and it isn't fair on anyone which is why I want to curtail it.

I understand, I had the same problem with my own dog to a certain extent and my mother was very nervous with him at the start.

She was afraid to correct him if he started playing too rough. As in your case when I was around there was no problem but I couldnt leave the dog at the house without me as it wasnt fair.

With me it was a case of getting my mother comfortable with him and getting her to correct him if he did something wrong even if I was there.

It took time for her to have the confidence to correct him if he started acting up. But once she did he started to respect her boundaries.

That sounds good what do you mean when you say correct? Just to clarify :)

• Advertisement

A verbal correction, a good firm NO or whatever you use yourself. I get my guy to sit until he calms down a bit.:)

Advertisement