Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any advice would be appreciated

Options
  • 07-09-2012 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

hi all :)

so im 2 months back from australia, due to problems over there i couldnt do my farm work for the 2nd year visa. i met my partner who is australian over there just when i arrived so we have been together just a year, but only living together for 6months, so we cannot do the defacto sponcership we have applied twice and just got a big fat NO! we are at a total loss and they say all we can really do is get married, though that can take upp to 6months-2years for the application to be accepted and being 24 and only being going out a year im not sure i want to get married i never thought i would and this just seems like such a big risk to take incase it didnt work out, i do love him with all my heart but ido want to be realistic about things.

Anyway so my family came up with up with something else, but i cant help but think this wouldnt work. My mum who is deceased was born in england before 1961 and since i was born after 83 i should be intitled to a british passport, so could i apply for another 1 year visa with the british passport or are all passports linked even though from another country? its a long shot i know. only other alterenitive is for me to go on a hol visa to aus, but that is kinda out of the question as i have no where near the funds to support myself without working.

Thank you for reading and would really appreciate any advice big or small :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I watched a show on BBC a couple of months back about Australian customs and they pulled a fella from the North who'd used a Brit passport with a slightly differently spelled name to get a visa, having already used an Irish passport to go there a year or so before (or vice versa). He was deported without even being able to speak to his brother and friend that he was travelling with, since they'd already apssed through customs.

They're wise to it, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

• Registered Users Posts: 14 seashells24

thank you, great help, thats that options out!! theres an invitation to my wedding in the post :P

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Look at your different visa options depending on your qualifications, is your occupation on the sol list?
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/sol/

Maybe you have a friend over there that you may be their defacto long lost love lol wink wink....sorry mods if unappropriate

Maybe he could move to Ireland or both if ye go to Europe or Canada....

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Nozzer

Hi,
    I'm a massive romantic but I would advise you not to rush into the marriage thing. I agree with a previous poster who suggested that your partner could come here or maybe move somewhere neutral? Ye should live together for another couple of years before even thinking about marriage. Hope it works out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Let me add to Nozers...
    Marriage is crazy at this stage no matter what you think or feel, if he's willing to move to Ireland or somewhere else thats a good start

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Don't do the passport thing. You have already been knocked back twice and if you are caught you will never get in.
    Can your partner come stay with you in Ireland for a while or move elsewhere together? That is what we did, in fact all the Irish defactos that I know here have spent time with their partners in Europe before the applications were submitted. It shows a commitment to the relationship and a not just I want to come live in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A PR DeFacto visa isn't a boyfriend/girlfriend visa. Its meant for more permanant relationships. So based on what you describe you aren't entitled to one at the moment. If marraige feels like its a bit much now, then it's prob a really bad move.

However, that isn't to say it won't change. I'd go with the advise above, move to Ireland, or Canada and qualify for a PR visa that way. Worry about marriage later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I'm too lazy to look up the links but I know for a fact these visas do exist as I know people on them.

1. There is the "intending to get married" visa. Girl I work with had her Spanish fiance come over on it. You have something like 12 months to get married while here. I don't know if you need a de facto relationship status though to get this.

2. Possibly the same visa but I know you don't need the de facto bit. Its again a "intending to get married" visa but its the one all the arranged marriage folk use. I know of a guy who's fiance (who he had never met before) came out on it and they had to get married within 12 months (or remain married for 12 months) for it to be effectual.

Anyway...just wanted to let you know of them. Can't you just be normal and apply for PR like everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Batgurl wrote: »
    I'm too lazy to look up the links but I know for a fact these visas do exist as I know people on them.

1. There is the "intending to get married" visa. Girl I work with had her Spanish fiance come over on it. You have something like 12 months to get married while here. I don't know if you need a de facto relationship status though to get this.

2. Possibly the same visa but I know you don't need the de facto bit. Its again a "intending to get married" visa but its the one all the arranged marriage folk use. I know of a guy who's fiance (who he had never met before) came out on it and they had to get married within 12 months (or remain married for 12 months) for it to be effectual.

Anyway...just wanted to let you know of them. Can't you just be normal and apply for PR like everyone else?

You are sort of correct. It's called prospective marriage visa. It allows you to enter australia to get married. It's valid for 9 months. But thats it, It doesn't give you PR or anything like that so it's no use to the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Where is your partner OP, for PR defacto you'll usually need to live together for a year, can he come over to live with you?.
    You said you tried to do the defacto sponsorship twice? Can you clarify this, what visa did you apply for?

On a Mod note, please no illegal visa suggestions. The Australian immigration department are not stupid. This is for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭leverarch12

Ya arent Australians entitled to a year whv over here? He could come over for a couple of months and ye could live together then reapply for the australian visa!

Advertisement