Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seán Moncrieff's Movies and Booze - Dooley's Hotel - Friday September 14th

Options
  • 07-09-2012 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭

Put this up in the Harvest Festival thread but I'm sure not everyone will see it there.

Seán Moncrieff is broadcasting his 'Movies and Booze' show from Dooley's Hotel next Friday. I attended the one he did from The Tower last year for The Tall Ships and it was great.

For those of you not familiar with him or the show, Moncrieff is a presenter on Newstalk. He covers quirky topics and is very good at what he does. The 'Movies and Booze' show is one he does every Friday. He gets in a wine or beer reviewer and a movie reviewer and they review movies and booze! Pretty simple. As an audience member, you get a glass of whatever they're reviewing. We also got a goody bag with a few bits and pieces.

I think if you want to attend, you just text Harvest followed by your email address to 53106 and you'll be contacted by email if you get tickets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Moncrieff is a legend, would love to go to that but have an appointment. I hope people get out and support this years harvest festival, looks like good effort made and all needs now is support of all the locals so get out of your local, get into the city and do something different

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Moonmad

Got tickets :)
    Thanks for heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Moonmad wrote: »
    Got tickets :)
    Thanks for heads up!

Good to hear. Got the call for my tickets from the lovely Annette Freeman yesterday. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Yep, got the call from Annette too. Lookin forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

What time does the audience have to be there at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tangled

It's Dean McGuinness doing beers this week for those who are going.

Tangled wrote: »
    It's Dean McGuinness doing beers this week for those who are going.

Is it really beers? I had heard it was wine. I'll be very, very happy if it's beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

why did I read that in his voice :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tangled

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Is it really beers? I had heard it was wine. I'll be very, very happy if it's beer.

It's REALLY beers - he just posted on his twitter account (@BeerMessiah) that it's Rodenbach and Adnam's Broadside.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

What time is it starting at?

• Advertisement

Tangled wrote: »
    It's REALLY beers - he just posted on his twitter account (@BeerMessiah) that it's Rodenbach and Adnam's Broadside.

Oh wow, I definitely have to make it down. I'm due to work and thought I'd be able to get out early but I've something on so may not be able to. Should make the actual Movies and Booze section anyway.

I've ended up having a spare ticket for this in case anyone is interested and didn't get tickets or just fancies a look. Show starts at 13:30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone listening? The blaa is on now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Does the movie-review woman always sound like she's running a marathon whilst reviewing the movies? :pac:

(It's a couple of years since I listened to Moncrieff)

Got there at 2.30 nice crowd and good craic.

The first beer Adnam's Broadside was 6% or over nice enough but a bit sweet.
    The 2nd one Rodenbach 5% used a multi fementation technique and had a sour
    taste almost like vinegar, so couldn't really drink that.

3 ex members of white snake (if I heard right) were being interviewed and sang a song. Good but not my thing.

Eddie Reader & her back up group performed a song, and boy is that girl talented, worth going just to see her never mind the beer:)

She's in the Theatre Royal tonight afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

danjo-xx wrote: »
    The 2nd one Rodenbach 5% used a multi fementation technique and had a sour taste almost like vinegar, so couldn't really drink that.

Yeah, a lad I know reckons that's the best beer ever and told me to try it when I was in Belgium. It was the first beer I had, practically after stepping off the plane. It must be a matter of personal taste, but I could barely finish it. Every different brew I ordered after that was like beer heaven though. God bless Belgium! :D

3 ex members of white snake (if I heard right) were being interviewed and sang a song. Good but not my thing.

For some reason I thought that was just a band with a sort of ironic name, but then he played a Whitesnake song at the end. I missed the interview - were they actually formerly members of Whitesnake? :confused:

Eddie Reader & her back up group performed a song, and boy is that girl talented, worth going just to see her never mind the beer:)

Oh yeah, some voice, and a good interviewee too!

She's in the Theatre Royal tonight afaik.

Yes she was, and that was the first I heard of it. Jesus we must be spoilt if that sort of thing is passing under the radar.

Anyone go? I'd say it was top class...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Does the movie-review woman always sound like she's running a marathon whilst reviewing the movies? :pac:

(It's a couple of years since I listened to Moncrieff)

She does,highly irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

They were''t White Shnake members, they're an unfunny aussie comedy singing thing, Dead Cat Bounce.
    They met the white shnake fella in Norway, and he goes through so many band members they reckoned they were members for five minutes. Comedy gold.
    Also, second beer was muck. But Caroline Clarke is a fine thing. Moncrieff had nice shoes.

Yeah Dead Cat Bounce are a comedy music group but I'm pretty sure two were Irish and one English - not an Aussie in sight!

Have to agree that I wasn't a fan of the second beer either. It tasted nicer than it smelled but I couldn't finish it.

The movie reviewer is Esther McCarthy of the Sunday World. I think it's just a a bit of a nerves thing with her talking fast.

She has a low kinda voice and sometimes the sound engineer needs to be more on da ball as it can be a pain sometimes for listeners.

Overall though the sound was really excellent much better than I had expected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

The movie reviewer is Esther McCarthy of the Sunday World. I think it's just a a bit of a nerves thing with her talking fast.

She has a low kinda voice and sometimes the sound engineer needs to be more on da ball as it can be a pain sometimes for listeners.

Overall though the sound was really excellent much better than I had expected.

Did I hear her say she was from Tallow or maybe just over the Cork Border.

Only caught part of the show. Enjoyed listening to Edie Reader. Surprized that WLR did not get her for an interview when she was in the area, or maybe they did and i just missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Black Suir wrote: »

Only caught part of the show. Enjoyed listening to Edie Reader. Surprized that WLR did not get her for an interview when she was in the area, or maybe they did and i just missed it.

WLR probably wanted someone to sponsor the interview like every other second of their broadcasting. :rolleyes:

Black Suir wrote: »

Her parents were from Tallow but she grew up in Youghal, so claims to be half waterfordian.

Advertisement