Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand law book do older additions make a difference?

Options
  • 07-09-2012 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I am buying some law books, which are extremely expensive to buy new, does it make a big difference if I were to buy an older addition.

At the moment I need to buy byrne and mccutcheon on the irish legal system 5th addition, I've located a few older additions but am worried a lot of cases etc may be missing.

Also, can anyone recommend sites / shops where I can buy second hand college books ?

Thank you.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jawn

You don't really need to buy law books for college. There are multiple copies of anything that'll be on your reading lists in the library. The quantity will drop around exam time when people take them out not wanting to upset James McDermott by failing exams.

To answer your question though: the problem with older editions of law books is that the cases cited to back up topics may no longer be relevant. General points of law like negligence haven't varied much since Donoghue v Stephenson in 1932 but things do change. You're best to reference from the latest edition of a textbook as it will provide up-to-date cases and relevant commentary thereof.

You're best to hold off on purchasing until you don the wig.

Advertisement