Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

italian or german?

• 07-09-2012 3:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

ok so, im doing arts with music and i wanted to do a language with it, but the college are limiting me to german or italian (id much prefer spanish or french). Im already learning spanish (on my own) and so i was thinking italian would be an easy step and i also prefer italian. my problem is, german seems to be the more practical language to learn, with more teaching jobs and business opportunities in that area. any advice people? im still undecided....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

shane9689 wrote: »
    ok so, im doing arts with music and i wanted to do a language with it, but the college are limiting me to german or italian (id much prefer spanish or french). Im already learning spanish (on my own) and so i was thinking italian would be an easy step and i also prefer italian. my problem is, german seems to be the more practical language to learn, with more teaching jobs and business opportunities in that area. any advice people? im still undecided....

im having the same problem. Its been five years since i spoke German. I may aswel begin a new language. However youre right about german being more practical.

Saying that, I wont need too much convincing to do Italian instead..

id say go attend both if possible for the first 5 weeks and see which fits best. Thats my plan anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

keelanj69 wrote: »
    im having the same problem. Its been five years since i spoke German. I may aswel begin a new language. However youre right about german being more practical.

Saying that, I wont need too much convincing to do Italian instead..

id say go attend both if possible for the first 5 weeks and see which fits best. Thats my plan anyway..

yeah...my mind is leaning towards italian too.

:confused::confused::confused:

problem about italian, is theres few teahcing jobs in it and not much money in italian trade business (not in the south anyways)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Forget practicality-if you have no interest in learning a language, it won't happen.

If you're passionate about Italian, but German seems distinctly meh, go for Italian.

I'm going into second year intending to take French and German (personally I love it!), having also taken Spanish and Computer Science for first year. You've probably heard this already, but interest in your choices should be the most important factor in your decision at this stage. It's not that hard if you're willing to work, and it won't seem like work if you like it.

Oh and RE the practicality of Italian-none of the major EU languages are going to die any time soon. You never know where it might take you, so don't stress about that at the moment.

Advertisement