Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fees For Being "Stupid" - Inspired by O Leary

• 07-09-2012 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭

Huzzah for Michael O Leary once again as he brands a passenger an idiot for not following procedure. Full Story Here.

A woman tried to seek compensation off Ryanair when she and her 4 of her family turned up to the airport for a flight home without having printed her Boarding Cards and the was charged €60 for each card by Ryanair.
    Ms McLeod went on Twitter to complain about her treatment. She also wrote to Mr O'Leary, seeking compensation and a gesture of goodwill.

On Tuesday Mr O'Leary said about this: "To which we have replied, politely but firmly, thank you Mrs McLeod but it was your fúck up and if you screw up, you compensate us and you send us a gesture of goodwill."

Proper order I say. It was in the Terms and Conditions when she bought her ticket so tough. I love the Airport TV Shows where people turn up late or with no photo ID then blame everyone but themselves.

I'm sure there are plenty of other service industries we could apply a "stupid" fee.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I saw that facebook post, what a load of crap.

The T&Cs are there plain as day for everyone to see, her own fault she got charged. Idiots like her keep my flights nice and cheap :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i got caught out by this, i lost mine in the airport in a taxi. they will not let you re-print them via the website 3 hours before your flight.

aer lingus will print them for you free of charge

the cost to ryan air for doing this service is a sheet of paper and milimetre of ink and for the print button to be pressed.

5 euro would be enough to charge for a mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

The terms and conditions are there to read, you get an email prior to departure reminding you to check in, what more does the woman want? People complain about ryan air but they forget how much flights used to cost. When we lived in london 20 years ago it used to cost £300. sterling for 2 of us on a return flight to Ireland I have paid less for return flights to Spain with Ryanair for 5 people including all charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

davet82 wrote: »
    i got caught out by this, i lost mine in the airport in a taxi. they will not let you re-print them via the website 3 hours before your flight.

the cost to ryan air for doing this service is a sheet of paper and milimetre of ink and for the print button to be pressed.

The cost to Ryanair would be the cost of providing an extra staff member to print them and renting an extra desk from the Airport.

Tough luck on the woman but she had 15 days to think about printing the cards. His language does sound OTT though, it does cost nothing to be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭Shelga

He's dead right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

hardCopy wrote: »
    The cost to Ryanair would be the cost of providing an extra staff member to print them and renting an extra desk from the Airport.

Tough luck on the woman but she had 15 days to think about printing the cards. His language does sound OTT though, it does cost nothing to be nice.

He is right but, jesus, there's no need to be such a cunt about it.

no extra staff is needed, they check your luggage on anyways if you dont have your boarding pass it comes up on screen, push print and its done

i'm not arguing there shouldnt be a charge to deter people but 60 euro is alot dont you think? thats per pass too btw

On Tuesday Mr O'Leary said about this: "To which we have replied, politely but firmly, thank you Mrs McLeod but it was your fúck up and if you screw up, you compensate us and you send us a gesture of goodwill."

:D

I feckin hate Ryanair, but god I love Michael O'Leary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I always print two copies, keep one in my bag and the other on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Daisy M wrote: »
    The terms and conditions are there to read, you get an email prior to departure reminding you to check in, what more does the woman want? People complain about ryan air but they forget how much flights used to cost. When we lived in london 20 years ago it used to cost £300. sterling for 2 of us on a return flight to Ireland I have paid less for return flights to Spain with Ryanair for 5 people including all charges.

She might want to be treated like a human instead of cattle.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    I always print two copies, keep one in my bag and the other on me.

thats a great tip, i'll remember that, thanks :)

MagicSean wrote: »

In fairness to cattle, they always have their boarding passes printed out ahead of time.

no extra staff is needed, they check your luggage on anyways if you dont have your boarding pass it comes up on screen, push print and its done

i'm not arguing there shouldnt be a charge to deter people but 60 euro is alot dont you think? thats per pass too btw

The thing is, if there was no charge or a small charge, they'd have to print cards for everybody. Why would anybody go to the bother of printing their own cards if they could get it for a nominal fee at the airport.

Once you start printing everyone's cards then you do need those extra desks. That's how Ryanair's model works, charge big for the extras and employ as few people as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

She agreed to either print out the cards herself or pay the fine when the tickets were booked. Doesn't like the rules now? Tough, go fly with another airline.

Though he was OTT imo.

In fairness to cattle, they always have their boarding passes printed out ahead of time.

Source?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

But if it was a €5 charge only, then more and more people would say ah feck it, sure I'll the €5 and let them do it. This would create bigger queues which will result ppl complaining or flights running late. So a new desk for printing cards and another staff member. Or the people could do what normal people do and print the cards in advance. I would only have sympathy if someone lost a card but you can't even expect a lesser charge as everyone would use that excuse.

The rules are largely known to print the boarding pass or you will pay excessive fees. Same with the baggage allowance. Some people take the complete mick with the baggage when they get refused with a bag clearly too big to fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Dear Mick

please take charge of the HSE

kind regards

SEPT 23 1989

The thing is, if there was no charge or a small charge, they'd have to print cards for everybody. Why would anybody go to the bother of printing their own cards if they could get it for a nominal fee at the airport.

Once you start printing everyone's cards then you do need those extra desks. That's how Ryanair's model works, charge big for the extras and employ as few people as possible.

i'd bet everythin i own that if that charge came down from 60 euro to 10 euro there would no great increase in people forgetting to print them.

A friend of mine of mine forgot to print his with aerlingus, we were checking our bags in and he told her he forgot to print his boarding pass...

10 seconds later she handed him one.

i'm not saying there should not be a charge but 60 euro is extortion imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

:D I feckin hate Ryanair, but god I love Michael O'Leary.

Oh he's a boorish fúcker, but he's great. The Yanks love him too if you see their take on the whole thing saying that it's unheard of for a CEO of a company to tell it like it is.

Seeming stupid people keep air fares low and these fees subsidise cheap flights. Credit cards do the same, by charging late fees etc, they can give rewards to other customers.

Yawns wrote: »
    But if it was a €5 charge only, then more and more people would say ah feck it, sure I'll the €5 and let them do it. This would create bigger queues which will result ppl complaining or flights running late. So a new desk for printing cards and another staff member. Or the people could do what normal people do and print the cards in advance. I would only have sympathy if someone lost a card but you can't even expect a lesser charge as everyone would use that excuse.

The rules are largely known to print the boarding pass or you will pay excessive fees. Same with the baggage allowance. Some people take the complete mick with the baggage when they get refused with a bag clearly too big to fit.

people are that price concious now a days that wouldnt happen imo

aer lingus have the same amount of staff at their counters and people dont miss flights or have massive queing, the same would be said for the other carriers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Thought this thread was about the lotto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Because of people like her, and all those that buy scratchcards and sandwiches (if you can call them that!!) on the plane, I get cheaper flights. Seems like a good deal for me! Mo'L is bang on

I think it's a little unfair to call her stupid. It's easy to forget something or miss something when reading smallprint. He could easily have told her no without being a dick. There is nothing remotely admirable about that man.

Source?

All the way back to the farm.

a family of four are traveling they forget the boarding passes - ryan air charge 10 euro per pass lets say - thats 40 euro, that family will make sure they have the passes printed

a family of four are traveling they forget the boarding passes - ryan air charge is currently 60 euro per pass - thats 240 euro - families spending is almost gone, weekend away fcuking ruined, a bit of a tough lesson to learn which i think is unfair

or am i just being too soft and its right the people get fcuked over as hard as possible for a mistake, like loosing the documents in the airport or your wallet being robbed

also if its such a hassle why shut the facility down 3 - 5 hours before your flight, there are internet cafes in the airport, you could go there and print yourself but then ryanair wouldnt get there 240 euro !!

i'd bet everythin i own that if that charge came down from 60 euro to 10 euro there would no great increase in people forgetting to print them.

A friend of mine of mine forgot to print his with aerlingus, we were checking our bags in and he told her he forgot to print his boarding pass...

10 seconds later she handed him one.

i'm not saying there should not be a charge but 60 euro is extortion imo

You do know that most Ryanair passengers don't check bags in at all?

They don't even want you near the desk, never mind printing anything.

I'm not a betting man but I'd disagree that printing wouldn't increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

He was calling her stupid for seeking compensation, not for forgetting the cards.
    Believe it or not, I got let off teh charge having misled my boarding card before.
    Not sure how exactly it happened but a mate of mine (male) who is big into planes, spent about 10 minutes chatting to the (male) bag drop attendant and came away from the exchange with a new copy. Wouldn't ever tell me what he said though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

I think it's a little unfair to call her stupid. It's easy to forget something or miss something when reading smallprint. He could easily have told her no without being a dick. There is nothing remotely admirable about that man.

There's no small print about it. The day before your flight you get an email that has 'Don't forget you MUST check in online and print your boarding pass' in the subject line!

A bit of tact wouldn't have gone amiss from Michael O'Leary but that woman was totally in the wrong. You wouldn't forget to bring your passport or money to the airport so why would you forget what is pretty much your ticket.

I use Ryanair all the time and I have never ever once encountered a rude staff member or been mis-treated by them in any way. Just saying. Play by their rules and the travel is grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

Dear Mick

please take charge of the HSE

kind regards

SEPT 23 1989

"And here's the €60 charge for your loved one dying out of hours" I think would be the likely result.

• Advertisement

You do know that most Ryanair passengers don't check bags in at all?

They don't even want you near the desk, never mind printing anything.

I'm not a betting man but I'd disagree that printing wouldn't increase.

of course i know, its like that for most airlines now, i dont see that makes any difference. the number of staff remains the same for most airlines, ryan air are not the exception with that anymore.

we'll just have agree to disagree on that one :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Its been a good while since I last flew Ryanair, can you download the boarding passes?

If not then people should install
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

which allows you to print to a .PDF file, then upload it to your email or google docs and if you did lose it or something happened then you could always retrieve it from the net and print it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

also if its such a hassle why shut the facility down 3 - 5 hours before your flight, there are internet cafes in the airport, you could go there and print yourself
    thats just what i wanted to ask...

Stinicker wrote: »
    Its been a good while since I last flew Ryanair, can you download the boarding passes?

which allows you to print to a .PDF file, then upload it to your email or google docs and if you did lose it or something happened then you could always retrieve it from the net and print it again.

nice one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

Stinicker wrote: »

You can do this with your Ryanair boarding pass already! It give you an option to print and save. I always do both and then email the PDF to myself just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Can't remember the last time I flew Ryanair but I know Aer Lingus give their boarding passes for printing in PDF form. Do Ryanair do the same? If so, USB stick with PDF copy for security, print enough to wallpaper the airport five minutes before your flight in any internet cafe. I always have a spare boarding pass printed but if I remember, I'll have it on a USB stick too. Costs nothing extra and saves on stuff like that. Realistically, there's no real excuse for being stung for a fine like that, when you've been alerted to the system. He's still a thundering cúnt, but in this case, he's at least substantially right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

He is right but, jesus, there's no need to be such a cunt about it.
    Exactly ...put ignorant before cunt to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

At least she won't forget the next time. While €60 might seem extortionate (and it is), it is set so high so that people don't forget. Ryanair run a very tight schedule with quick turn arounds and can't afford to be waiting for people to have their tickets re-printed.

But yeah, he doesn't need to be such an ass about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Latchy wrote: »
    Exactly ...put ignorant before cunt to

And she is not ignorant and rude for going public to point out how bad ryanair is? when in fact their T&C cannot be anymore clearer.

To succeed with ryanair all you have to do is read everything and twice and print everything twice and save everything twice and at the end of it you get a quick and cheap journey to most places in europe and you have extra spending money because of companies like ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

To be honest, I think the rudeness was a response to being publicly badgered for compo....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I do not consider been asked to pay for her mistake anything similar to been treated like cattle, she wasn't herded into a trailer or barn and asked to eat silage, lets get some perspective here.:)

When you purchase something you have to go along with the suppliers terms and conditions, if you buy a ticket and you lose it or leave it at home or did not print it off would you still expect to be allowed into the venue or onto the bus/train? People have to expect a certain level of personal responsibility. When you are going off on holiday it is up to you to have everything in place to ensue smooth running, sometimes the only person to blame is yourself and that is certainly a case here.

I am not saying Ryanair are always right but they are not always wrong either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Imagine an airline which treated it's customers nicely but at the same cost of Ryanair minus the pathetic attempts at trying to swindle you. They wouldn't even need to shortchange you as everyone would fly with them, who wants the stress and bad experiences of rude staff, absurd luggage procedures and being treated like cattle? If there are any would be entrepeneurs out there please set up an airline like this and run Ryanair out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bdeithrick

maximoose wrote: »
    I saw that facebook post, what a load of crap.

The T&Cs are there plain as day for everyone to see, her own fault she got charged. Idiots like her keep my flights nice and cheap :)

here here i agree , every man and his dog knows not to turn up for a flight with out a boarding card and on line check in, even if its aer lingus, better safe that broke.
    its on jo duffy every week and any news channel. tough but equally fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

billybudd wrote: »
    And she is not ignorant and rude for going public to point out how bad ryanair is? when in fact their T&C cannot be anymore clearer.
    I know all about their terms and conditions and I've printed out a few boarding cards myself when traveling with them .I was referring to O'Leary's mannerisms but hey , he's ( thankfully) not in the hospitality business .
    To
    succeed with ryanair
    all you have to do is read everything and twice and print everything twice and save everything twice and at the end of it you get a quick and cheap journey to most places in europe and you have extra spending money because of companies like ryanair
    Succeed ?... pft .

Just an attention seeking ,bad mannered , all frills and no knickers ,Honky Tonk airline as far as I'm concerned .

Imagine an airline which treated it's customers nicely but at the same cost of Ryanair minus the pathetic attempts at trying to swindle you. They wouldn't even need to shortchange you as everyone would fly with them, who wants the stress and bad experiences of rude staff, absurd luggage procedures and being treated like cattle? If there are any would be entrepeneurs out there please set up an airline like this and run Ryanair out of business.

If they could've they would've!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

He was unrepentant about calling passengers in general who turn up at airports without printed boarding passes stupid and added that they were idiots.

But he insisted to the Irish Independent last night that his comments should not be interpreted as a personal attack on the British mother who had sought compensation from him.

Reminds me of the boards rule - attack the post, not the poster. Everyone knows that 'this post is stupid' means 'you're fúcking stupid'.

I think they're not wrong for charging her extra for this, because it was her OWN mistake. While I understand he's a very out spoken person who calls a spade a spade, well it just seems a bit unprofessional. You wouldn't see a small business owner calling or insinuating that customer was stupid (certainly not to their face or publicly) as it would damage business. He has no reason to resort to this in my opinion, they were in the right in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I don't like Ryanair at all, I fly with them the odd time out of necessity but in general I try to fly with Aer Lingus instead. Even as someone who doesn't like Ryanair I still think the woman was wrong, I thought that by this stage everyone would know about the 60 euro charge for not having your boarding card printed out? It's not like they make a secret about it, it's in the T&Cs and they warn you about it when you've booked. If you're going to fly Ryanair you've to fly by their rules, there's a reason why the fares are low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I have no interest in queueing behind 100 people who couldn't be bothered printing out their boarding pass.

Ryanair for me every time. Fast, cheap, reliable.

Latchy wrote: »
    I know all about their terms and condirions and I've printed out a few boarding cards myself when travelling with them .I was referring to O'Leary's mannerisms but hey , he's ( thankfully) not in the hospitality business .

Succeed ?... pft .

Just an attention seeking ,bad mannered , all frills and no knickers ,Honky Tonk airline as far as I'm concerned .

Thats exactly what they are! but so are aer lingus europe, you get charged for everything on their flights also.

Beats being back in the 80/90s and having to get the boat everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Ok, I'm gonna come out and say it: it's wrong to charge a family £380 after a holiday because someone made the mistake of forgetting to print out the boarding cards. I agree that there should be some charge to deter everyone from doing it, but that kind of fee can destory a family holiday. Such a massive charge was unnecessary, and it's a bit depressing to hear people agree with it simply because it was in the T&C's. Is it now the way that any and all mistakes should be punished in as harsh a manner as one can get away with? Because that's pretty shitty IMO.

Einhard wrote: »
    Ok, I'm gonna come out and say it: it's wrong to charge a family £380 after a holiday because someone made the mistake of forgetting to print out the boarding cards. I agree that there should be some charge to deter everyone from doing it, but that kind of fee can destory a family holiday. Such a massive charge was unnecessary, and it's a bit depressing to hear people agree with it simply because it was in the T&C's. Is it now the way that any and all mistakes should be punished in as harsh a manner as one can get away with? Because that's pretty shitty IMO.

Granted its not nice but have you ever heard the way some customers speak to ryanair staff on a daily basis, they have to put up with alot of peoples hostility and 99% of the time its because said customer is wrong.

Why bother have T&C if they are just ignored.

• Advertisement
Advertisement