Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The least important part of this thread is the Title

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Apparently only one of the 4 days for the Leinster Championships is for Seniors and Masters. I think the other 3 days are for Juvenilles.

Would you not consider both rounds of the League? You can enter as an individual.

Ok fair enough. I might go to the league so, I didn't know I could enter on my lonesome.

Tuesday 9th December - Gym
    No running as I wan't to give the hammy a couple of days off. I did do some hurdle mobility stuff though.

A1) Bench Press: 20kg x10, 40kg x8, 60kg x3, 70kg x3, 80kg 4x5, 60kg x12
    A2) Pull Ups: BW x3, BW+8kg 4x5, BW x5
    B1) OHP: 40kg 2x7, 1x10
    B2) TRX BW Inverted Row: BW 3x10
    C) Core: 3 rounds of 2 exercises out of: [russian twist w/ 10kg x30, reverse crunch x15, toe-touch x18, plate-to-toes w/10kg]

Did a little bit of stretching and left it at that.

Thursday 11th December - Hills: 5x240m
    This was the same set-up as previous hills sessions; 3mins between reps, which gives me about 10s at the bottom to gather myself, then 8mins rest after doing the third rep (so 5minutes after getting back to the bottom). I felt decent enough for this during the session itself, although I felt terribly sluggish while I was jogging there. The cold and the wind were awful. I didn't do the 6th rep as I could feel my hammy starting to ever-so-slightly complain on the 5th one.

The times were: 42.0s, 42.6s, 42.9s, 42.4s, 43.1s for an average of 42.6s

My average over 6 reps on the 26th November was 42.4s, so to almost match that considering the cold and wind isn't an awful showing.
    Gym tonight.

Friday 12th December - Gym
    A) Back Squat: 20kg x10, 60kg x10, 70kg 6x10
    B)Stiff Leg Deadlift: 70kg 3x10
    Can't remember what else I did. But most likely some sort of upper body and core work.

Wednesday 17th December - 6.2km in 28mins
    Had to travel to the UK for my masters graduation which caused me to miss a few days training. Got back to it with what was originally planned to be an easy effort on a loop that usually takes me about 35 or 36 minutes, but i was full of energy and started pushing the pace a few minutes in. It's a hilly enough loop, the first 1.5km are flat with a little downhill, with the next 3km a gradually steeping long drag that ends in the hill I use for my hill reps, and a great view of Tralee when the visibility is good. The last 1.5km are downhill back to my house. Felt really strong on this one, and got a great rush of endorphins afterwards.

Thursday Afternoon - 3 x [150m, 250m]
    Did this one on the tarmac path around the local field. The distances are just guesstimates, and I didn't use a watch so there are no times. It was absolutely piddling down when I was doing the session so I got pretty soaked during my 1km warm-up jog, and it only progressed from there; each successive rep was down with increasingly sodden and so heavier gear on. I jogged back as a break to speed things up and keep this more in the aerobic than lactic type of workout.

Thursday Night - Gym
    I'd received my new weightlifting shoes the previous Saturday and so was dying to give them a run-out by the time Thursday came around. I was delighted to find that they fit like a glove, and I immediately found them to improve my positions in the squat. My legs were feeling a little beat up at this stage, but I manned up and went through a fairly painful ten minutes of foam rolling and stretching. My flexibility had noticeably worsened after almost a week of not doing much stretching, it just shows how important it is to keep on top of.

A) Back Squat: 20kg x10, 40kg x5, 60kg x5, 80kg x5, 100kg x3, 110kg x2, 120kg 2x2 PB :D, 100kg x5
    B)Stiff Leg Deadlift 80kg 3x8
    C) Pull Ups: BW 3x8
    D) Core: Kneeling Ab Wheel Rollouts 3x10, Also something else that I forget :o.

I was/am DELIGHTED with the squatting, even if the first set at 120kg was probably a bit high. I've never really done 1RMs on the squat because I never felt stable enough at higher weights and my form would go to sh1t. The weightlifting shoes (Adidas Power Perfect 2s) have made a massive difference, although I do still need to improve my calf flexibility and ankle ROM in general. I want to go after a double bodyweight squat (160kg) by the end of 2015, which I think is more than doable. I'm pretty sure I have the leg strength for 140kg+ right now, I just need to get the mobility sorted out.

Friday 19th December - Gym
    A) Back Squat: 20kg x10, 60kg x5, 80kg x5, 90kg 3x5, 60kg x10
    B)Pendlay Row: 60kg x5, 2x8
    C1) DB Front, Side & Y Raises: 2x8kg DBs 3x5 on each
    C2) Lu Raises: 2x2.5kg plates 3x20
    D1) Single Leg Elevated Hip Thrust: BW 3x10 e/s
    D2) Front Plank: 3x20s
    D3) Front Plank w/ alternating knee lift to side: 3x20
    E) Stretching: about 15mins in total. I noticed my left glute is less flexible than my right, so I'll be working on that.

I couldn't resist squatting again with the new shoes. Feeling good overall, despite having lots of training in the legs, although again, the foam rolling during my warm up was not the most pleasant experience. The lack of flexibility I'd noticed on Thursday had all but disappeared. Good little bunch of training overall.

Monday 22nd December - 6.2km in 30min
    The same loop I'd run hard last week, I took it a bit easier this time. Felt pretty good on a mild but windy evening.

Tuesday 23rd December - Hills: 6x240m off 3mins
    Calves were a little tight to begin with, despite foam rolling before I'd left the house, but I loosened up on the 1km jog from my house to the base of the hill. Did some more stretching and got into the swing of things. My previous few sessions here have had an 8min break after 3 reps, but I was feeling really strong today so I didn't bother and stuck to my 3min (walk-back) rest for the whole 6 reps.

Times were: 43.6s, 43.0s, 42.1s, 42.8s, 43.0s, 42.1s

These are roughly in line with previous efforts, maybe a little slower, but considering I had less rest it's still forward progress in my opinion.

Wednesday - Split logs for the fire
    Thursday - Christmas Day Swim in Fenit, great craic & wiped away cobwebs from the previous night's beers

Friday 26th December - 8x150m
    Managed to get out for a quick session in the local park yesterday in the midst of all the holiday season madness. Did a roughly 1km warm-up jog, a few stretches, and then got straight into the session. Recovery was walk-back between reps, and I didn't time myself. Effort was about 80%, but was fighting hard on the last couple to maintain form off limited recovery. I felt surprisingly strong, I think my aerobic fitness is decent enough at the moment.

Morning weight right now is bang on 80kg, so I'll be cutting down slowly from now towards 77-77.5kg which is what I plan to race at for the indoor season.

Saturday - more log splitting. I really think it's a good work-out for power development. If my start shows improvement over the next few weeks I'll be a happy camper! Going out for a very easy 30mins in the next hour to round off the day and get me back on track again after a boozy, boozy Steven's night.

I hope everyone on the forum had/is having as enjoyable a Christmas as I had/am doing!:)

• Advertisement

Saturday 27th December - 6.2km in 30 mins, easy
    Just in the door, and feeling like a champion now. I think I need to go see a physio soon as I'm getting random pains and twinges in my back, hips, and neck. Nothing serious though, just a few knots that need loosening out I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Saturday 27th December - 6.2km in 30 mins, easy
    Just in the door, and feeling like a champion now. I think I need to go see a physio soon as I'm getting random pains and twinges in my back, hips, and neck. Nothing serious though, just a few knots that need loosening out I'd imagine.

Could the pains be a result of the log splitting? Or is log splitting a code for some thing else - sounds like it.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Could the pains be a result of the log splitting? Or is log splitting a code for some thing else - sounds like it.

No, it's not code for anything! We cut down a load of trees in our back garden and have been burning the wood for the past couple of winters. The trunks have been cut into pieces that are too large for our stove, so they need to be split before being brought inside to burn. We have a log splitter instead of an axe, which makes it much safer, but it's still a really good power work-out - very similar to medicine ball slams.

The pains are unrelated I'm pretty sure. I haven't seen a physio in over a year and with the type of training I do I should be getting sports massages more regularly than that; there's only so much one can do with a foam roller and hockey-ball!

Sunday 28th December - Gym + Astro
    Got down to the gym for about 20 past ten this morning which is very early for me. The last time I lifted in the morning I almost crippled myself collapsing on a box squat, but that was a fair bit earlier than this so I figure I should be OK this time.

I spent a good 15 minutes warming up, rolling and stretching, as I was fairly tight in places from recent training. Felt pretty good after that, so I laced up the oly shoes and got liftin'.

A) Full Clean: 40kg x3, 50kg x3, 60, kg x3, 65kg x3
    B)Hang Power Clean: 55kg 3x3
    C) Back Squat: 50kg x5, 60kg x5, 70kg x5, 80kg x5, 90kg 2x5, 95kg x5
    D1) Neutral Grip Chins: BW x3, BW+10kg 3x5
    D2) Dips: BW x5, BW+15kg 2x8, 1x6, BW x3

That was it for the weights. I ran out of time before the football match, which went well. My right calf tightened up pretty bad about 30mins in, but it's since loosened out and I don't think it was a sign of anything other than fatigue.

Tuesday 30th December - 5x250m off 4mins
    A random sore throat and cough appeared out of nowhere a couple of mornings ago, although thankfully I haven't had much fatigue or a temperature with it, so I deemed it ok to train with. Yesterday was an all day family trip to Guagane Barra near the Cork/Kerry border, which was a good day out and while I did a fair bit of walking, mainly uphill, I didn't do any formal training.
    So, it was back to my local park for some 250s. The original plan was 6 reps, but with the cough I was working harder after 3 than I would expect so I left it at 5 reps in total. The times went: 41.4, 38.2, 38.6, 40.0, 40.4
    On the first rep a dog ran across my path twice, so I had to chop my stride, which explains the slow time. I said to myself that If I could get the 5th rep in under 40s I'd do a 6th, but I was working hard and faded at the end which told me that was enough for today. Still felt like I was moving quick enough overall. I'm really looking forward to the indoors, although I'm still undecided about opening with the National League Round 1 on the 11th Jan. We shall see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I'm still undecided about opening with the National League Round 1 on the 11th Jan. We shall see.

Literally just put in my entry for this. 60m and 800m. The stupid online entry system has a glitch in that it doesn't let you enter 2 events under the same name, so I had to put in my middle initial on my entry for one of the events. Crazy.

You still thinking of doing Welsh Champs? I just put in my entry for that now aswell.

Literally just put in my entry for this. 60m and 800m. The stupid online entry system has a glitch in that it doesn't let you enter 2 events under the same name, so I had to put in my middle initial on my entry for one of the events. Crazy.

You still thinking of doing Welsh Champs? I just put in my entry for that now aswell.

Yeah I'd be doing both of those events also. If I decide to go to the Welsh Champs, I definitely wouldn't do the league as that would have me racing 3 weekends in a row, which I think is too much to open the season with. I can't say whether I'll be able to go to the Welsh Champs yet, as my schedule is in flux depending on interviews and things. It seems I have until Jan 8th to decide, as that's the closing date for online entry.

Yeah I'd be doing both of those events also. If I decide to go to the Welsh Champs, I definitely wouldn't do the league as that would have me racing 3 weekends in a row, which I think is too much to open the season with. I can't say whether I'll be able to go to the Welsh Champs yet, as my schedule is in flux depending on interviews and things. It seems I have until Jan 8th to decide, as that's the closing date for online entry.

League on the 11th, Welsh Champs on 24th. What's on the weekend in between? Wasn't aware there was anything.

League on the 11th, Welsh Champs on 24th. What's on the weekend in between? Wasn't aware there was anything.

munsters in nenagh.

munsters in nenagh.

Ah yeh. Had forgotten about that. Had only looked at the Athlone races here.

Kildare Champs are on the 24th on Athlone, though no 400m.

Update on cough: has gotten a bit worse, so I'm taking a couple days off running. I might lift tomorrow if I'm feeling up to it, but playing it by ear.

Monday 5th Jan - 30mins easy
    Did my usual 6.2km loop but was working harder than usual, as evidently I was still not over the bug. Felt worse the next day too, so didn't train Tuesday or Wednesday

Thursday 8th Jan - 4x150m + Gym
    I was planning 8x150m off walk-back rest, which I'd done a couple of weeks and felt decent enough doing it, but I'm still clearly not over the bug, as after 4 reps yesterday I was hit by a huge wave of fatigue and knew I'd be best served by stopping at that. Positives are that the speed and technique felt decent, just need another day or two before transitioning back to full training.

Despite being knackered after half a session in the morning, I knew I wasn't a million miles off a full recovery, so I decided to hit the gym late last night for the first time in what felt like an age to do some quality stretching and a bit of lifting. I spent a long while warming up, easing into the stretches as I was pretty tight.

A) Full Cleans: 40kg x3, 50kg x3, 60kg x2, 65kg 3x3
    B)Back Squat: 60kg x5, 80kg x5, 90kg 3x5
    C) Ring Pull Ups: BW x5, x6, x10
    D1) Hanging Straight Leg Raises: 2x10
    D2) Med Ball Single Leg DL T-Extension: 4kg 2x8 e/s

Left it at that. Effort felt about right. The weights felt marginally heavier than usual, a combination of not lifting for about 2 weeks and the lingering bug. I feel grand this morning, just some light DOMS, but not a set-back like I felt on Tuesday after the previous day's run.

The weight is coming down, I've been tracking kcals since the 2nd Jan and have already lost 1.3kg :eek: and was at 78.7kg yesterday morning. I was aiming for dropping 0.25kg a week, so I'm a bit ahead of schedule, but it should even out now that I've idea of what maintenance is.

Obviously being sick wasn't part of my ideal preparation plan for indoors, and with the Munsters next Sunday I'm not sure where I'll be at; but with the training I've done over the winter I'm confident of coming into good form as the indoor season progresses.

Sunday 11th Jan - Hills: 2x3x150m
    Out this morning to face the elements for a nasty hills session. The bug is pretty much gone now, but I've definitely lost some sharpness and general fitness over the past couple of weeks. This session was, however, a big step back in the right direction.

The rest today was 2mins 30s, with 5mins between the sets. The rep times were fairly consistent at about 23.5s.

I was absolutely knackered after the last one, but was happy to have gotten through the full session. Not sure what type of performance I could expect next Sunday in Nenagh, but I'll give it a bash anyway.

Monday 12th Jan - 4x100m @80% + 5km easy
    Out again this morning for an easier session this time. I'm up in Dublin at the moment so used the opportunity to return to the PP for the first time in a couple of months. Used the bicycle lane by Chesterfield ave for the 100m reps and walked back for rest. I didn't bother with a watch.

I'd felt a bit tight just after leaving the house but loosened out OK on the run to the park and did a few dynamic stretches before beginning the session proper. This was a good example of a sesh that isn't too taxing, but still gives a bit of a training stimulus on a day after a heavy workout. It also serves the purpose of active recovery and technique work. I used this type of training a fair bit over the summer and I think it worked very well as I was doing a high volume of training, consistently improving, and stayed healthy.

Tuesday 13th Jan - Gym
    So I got my entry in today for the Munsters, last minute stuff, but I'm down for the 60m and 400m. The 60m is on first, about 90min before the 400m if the timetable is to be believed. I haven't stepped foot on a track in a good while, not to mind practicing block starts, so I don't have great expectations for the 60m; a sub-8 showing would be excellent.

The 400m will be interesting, we'll see what happens there. In the meantime, however, I'm plugging away at the training for this week. I'm going to back off the intensity from Thursday onwards, but these aren't target races so I don't see a point in wasting training time by resting up. Tonight's gym session went well enough. Here's what I did:

A) Full Clean: 40kg x3, 50kg x2, 60kg x2, 70kg 2x2 PB
    B)Power Clean: 52.5kg 2x6
    C) Back Squat: 60kg x3, 70kg x3, 90kg x2, 100kg x3, x6
    D1) Straight Leg DL: 82.5kg 3x8
    D2) Ring Pull Ups: BW 3x7
    E) A little bit of stretching

Will have to fit in the core stuff I'd planned tomorrow as I ran out of time. Back into the swing of things now and feeling close to 100%. The weight is still coming down, I think I have it under control now.

• Advertisement

Wed - Just a little bit of mobility stuff

Thursday 15th Jan - Gym
    Wanted to get out for an 8x150m session on Wednesday but there was just no way that was happening with the state of the weather all day. Was pretty annoyed by this but elected to stay in, save my energy, and do a bit of mobility and soft tissue work which was needed as Tuesday DLs had royally messed my hammies up with DOMS.

On Thursday afternoon I went to a physio for the first time in an age, just a general check-up and to see what the story with a little back-niggle I've been getting was - turns out it was nothing major and I'm good to go. She mentioned that I've got hyper-flexibility in my lower back, not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

Onto the gym then last night. I was aiming for a handy enough effort with the races on Sunday.

After warming up, I started off with hurdle hip mobility, followed by plyo-hops over the hurdles. I felt pretty good doing these; balanced and bouncy.
    I moved onto the weights then.

A1) Back Squat: 60kg x8, 80kg 3x8
    A2) Pull Ups:BW 3x10 -happy enough with this
    B1) E/Z Bar Curls: 30kg 3x8
    B2) MB SLDLs: 4kg 3x8 e/s
    C1) Kneeling Ab Rollouts: 2x10
    C2) Pistol Squats: 3x5 e/s (did these in runners, ankle mobility is coming along)
    C3) Side Planks: 2x45s e/s

This was a good session. Feeling back to 100% now after being sick. I've been working a lot on shoulder mobility in the past couple of weeks, I'm avoiding pressing exercises almost completely until I can do a 40kg overhead squat to depth comfortably.

I may have been overstating things by saying weight has been coming down in a more controlled fashion, I was 78.2kg this morning, meaning I've lost 1.8kg in 15 days, which is more than 3 times the rate I was aiming for :eek:. The bonuses are that I'm almost at race-weight way ahead of schedule, but I've probably lost as much muscle mass as fat, which is what I was trying to avoid. My strength doesn't seem to have been affected much however, so I'm going to keep going until I get to 77.5kg and try to stay there. I've found it very easy to drop the weight to be honest, even though I was sick and not exercising the first week of it, I haven't been starving myself at all, just making healthier and less carby meal choices. No booze has probably been the biggest difference tbh!

Friday 16th Jan - 5x80-100m Technique Runs
    This was just a bit of a loosener to get the legs moving again after a couple of no-running days. Warmed up with a 1k jog, and did a very gradual and extended warm-up due to the cold conditions and residual stiffness from the gym. I spent a while doing drills, which I haven't been doing enough of recently, and tried to really focus on the technique points associated with each one. I did a couple of gradual-acceleration strides then to round off the warm-up.

The technique runs themselves had varying focuses, with the effort high at 90-95%, or basically as fast as I could make them without sacrificing the technique I was trying to implement on each one. Rest between reps was generous: a slow walk-back plus 60-90s. I didn't time anything, that wasn't the focus today. For The first two reps I was trying to work on acceleration, so started using 3-point starts and worked on turnover and power from the off. For the next one I focused on leg turnover. The 4th rep was about getting the knees up, and for the 5th, I was trying to get powerful ground contact.

I felt pretty good during the session, although I could tell my CNS was a bit worn out towards the end, as I haven't done much intense top-end speed work recently. Feeling good now going into Sunday. I will probably do an easy 15-20 min run tomorrow, followed by stretching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Friday 16th Jan - 5x80-100m Technique Runs
    This was just a bit of a loosener to get the legs moving again after a couple of no-running days. Warmed up with a 1k jog, and did a very gradual and extended warm-up due to the cold conditions and residual stiffness from the gym. I spent a while doing drills, which I haven't been doing enough of recently, and tried to really focus on the technique points associated with each one. I did a couple of gradual-acceleration strides then to round off the warm-up.

The technique runs themselves had varying focuses, with the effort high at 90-95%, or basically as fast as I could make them without sacrificing the technique I was trying to implement on each one. Rest between reps was generous: a slow walk-back plus 60-90s. I didn't time anything, that wasn't the focus today. For The first two reps I was trying to work on acceleration, so started using 3-point starts and worked on turnover and power from the off. For the next one I focused on leg turnover. The 4th rep was about getting the knees up, and for the 5th, I was trying to get powerful ground contact.

I felt pretty good during the session, although I could tell my CNS was a bit worn out towards the end, as I haven't done much intense top-end speed work recently. Feeling good now going into Sunday. I will probably do an easy 15-20 min run tomorrow, followed by stretching.

Was only watching this video this morning and there was a few little gems on technique in there that may be of interest

http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/251948-Track-Season-on-Flotrack-2015/video/756616-Trayvon-Bromell-Trentavis-Friday-Workout

Great video. Two freakishly good prospects on show there!

Munster Seniors
    Mixed results today at a very cold Nenagh Olympic Stadium. Nice PB in the 60m of 7.81 despite getting blown away by a high standard field. The 400m was woeful though, 55.63 for the slowest I've run in a long long time. I actually felt pretty good during the race and I think everyone was down at least a couple of seconds on their expected times so I'm not too bothered. I probably didn't commit as much as I should have over the first 150m. Will do up a more in-depth report tonight or tomorrow, for the moment I'm taking the positives, the main one being that I don't have to run in Nenagh for at least another year!!!

55.63 in Nenagh is surely worth, at the very least, a 54.63 in Athlone, and probably faster than that. I've never ran in Nenagh (with no plans of ever changing that) but from what I've heard, it's absolutely freezing inside there. How can you expect to run fast in cold weather.

Which makes your 60m time all the more impressive. That's ridiculously fast.

You should guest in the Leinsters, a week before Nationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

you should have guested yesterday at the galway counties in athlone IT,they had sooo many all ireland champions there from all over the country and everything to push yourself against

2015 Munster Senior Indoor Championships, 18th January
    Going into Sunday, I was unsure what type of performance to expect as I'd been hit with a bit of a virus over Christmas that caused me to miss more than a week's training and left me noticeably less fit in my first couple of sessions afterwards. However, I had been steadily improving over the 10 days or so between returning to training and the competition, and felt could give the races a good go.

Having not been at the track in Nenagh in about 4 years, I returned to find it exactly as I remembered it: cold. It was good to see a decent crowd in attendance, and the atmosphere friendly, with plenty of people cheering on the race walkers who were on the track as walked in. I must revisit the cold though, I didn't have a thermometer on hand but the temperature in there couldn't have been much more than 5 or 6 degrees at any point in the day. Nevertheless, despite a bit of unwanted DOMS in my glutes I was looking forward to the competition.

60m
    First up was the short sprint. I had about an hour to warm up, which I did, slowly. There were two heats in the senior 60m, with me drawn in lane 5 of the second heat. Marcus Lawler was in attendance for some reason (I would have thought he'd be down in Stellenbosch with the group of Irish athletes on a training camp down there at the moment), and I was surprised to see him only just win the first heat in about 7.2s. Clearly a high standard, then.
    I hadn't stepped on a track in a good few weeks, having done all my running on grass, or tarmac paths, so was a bit worried how my start would go. I set the blocks up and felt OK in my practice starts; good to go. We were given the order to remove tracksuits and stand behind the blocks. There was a false-start due to a fault with the gun, but we got away cleanly on the second attempt. It's hard to remember much about a 60m race, but my general feeling was that I got out OK, despite most of the field running away from me from the start. The heat was won in 7.17s, with me a few meters back. I wasn't sure if I'd made my target of sub 8s. About an hour after the race, the results were posted, with me down for a decent 7.81s. I have to be happy with that, despite getting royally spanked by most of the field.

400m
    Next up was the trusty aul quarter-mile, however there were problems with not having enough officials on the outer track so there was an unknown amount of delay on the timetable. I gave myself about 30min rest after the 60m to begin my warm-up, and could immediately notice the glute DOMS had gotten a bit worse. I definitely wasn't feeling as energetic as I was before the 60m. Again, there were two heats, 3 athletes in each, with me given a decent lane-draw of lane 3 in the second heat. The results were to be decided on times. The bends in Nenagh are crazily steep and the lanes are about half the width of those on an outdoor track, so I found it pretty difficult to get out of the blocks properly on my practice starts.
    We got away cleanly first time, and I pushed hard enough around the first bend but probably backed off too much too early, as the guy inside me passed me midway down the back straight, and I'd lost ground on the guy in lane 4 also. Before I knew it he'd gapped me by a meter or two and that's how it stayed for the rest of race. I felt pretty strong on the second lap and held my distance with the guy in front of me. There was no visible clock at the finish line so I didn't know what time the race was won in, although my initial impression was that I'd done OK. I knew the guy who came second in my heat had run 49s last summer, and he had told me the other lad, the winner in our heat was "very good" so I thought I had run a 53.x or 54.x at a push. Unfortunately this wasn't the case, as when the times were posted I saw I'd come in a 55.63s. The race had been won in low 52s, with the guy in second at 53.8s, so everyone was a fair bit down on what they were expecting.

Monday - Off
    Tuesday - Off

Wednesday 21st Jan - 3x240m Hills + 4x120m
    I was travelling on Monday and Tuesday which gave me a decent recovery. Wednesday saw a return to my usual hill session, and the plan was 6 reps off 3mins, which I was able to do before Christmas. This time, it was clear that I wasn't in the same shape. I got through 3 reps before I'd had enough, I'd hit lactic and was bent-doubled breathing hardat the top of the hill. I decided to jog slowly back to the park I do my flat stuff on, and do a few reps there once I'd recovered, just to increase the volume of the session without killing myself. I took 20 minutes to get back, and did 4x120m at about 80% off walk-back.

The hill-reps were timed: 40.1s, 40.6s, 43.7s

While the first two reps were a fair bit quicker than my previous average times of about 42s, my rapid fall-off shows that I didn't have the speed-endurance and conditioning compared to where I was in mid-December. This explains why I felt tired after the 60m, and my poor 400m time. It should come back fairly quickly, so I was actually happy with this session as it gave me an idea relatively of where I'm at, more so than the poor race result in isolation would.

Thursday 22nd Jan - 60m, 80m, 100m, 150m + Gym
    This was just a light recovery work-out. I did a long, slow, warm-up jog, about ten minutes of drills and dynamic stretching. The 4 reps were of gradually increasing intensity with an emphasis on form. I did a good warm-down to finish off and my legs were in spiffing nick afterwards.

I was coaching youngsters in the evening, after which I hit the gym myself. I did my usual foam-rolling and mobility oriented warm-up.

A) Back Squat: 20kg x10, 60kg x8, 80kg x6, 100kg 5x5
    B)Straight Leg DL: 60kg x5, 80kg x5, 90kg x6, x8, x10
    C) Ring Pull Ups: BW 3x8
    D1) Upright Rows: 36kg 3x8
    D2) E/Z Bar Curls 30kg 3x6
    E) Core: Toe-touches 2x15, Russian Twist w/ 10kg 1x30, Front Plank 1x1min, Kneeling Ab roll-outs 1x12

This was a tough one. Glutes are quite tight now. Track session this evening.

Friday 23rd January - Track: 6x200m Tempo
    This was my first session on a proper track in way too long. My legs were pretty banged up after the gym session on Thursday but I did a very long, gradual warm-up with plenty of drills and dynamic stretching to loosen up. I was aiming for a 29.x s average for the 200m reps, with 200m jog recovery in 120-150s. I felt OK but not brilliant during the session. Have a bit of work to do on these type of session to get to where I want to be.

Times were: 29.6s, 31.1s, 30.1s, 31.3s, 30.4s, 27.9s for an average of 30.1s, so a little off what I was hoping for. It was good to be able to pick it up for the last one, but on these sessions it's about consistency and I was all over the place in that regard! The first 3 recoveries were bang on 120s, but stretched out to 150s & 180s on the last 2.

My legs aren't in the best shape right now, but I hope to get out for a little recovery run and some foam rolling later on.

• Advertisement

Saturday 24th January - 25mins recovery run
    Nothing fancy here. I spent about 10 mins foam rolling my very sore everywhere, then headed out for 25mins of handy jogging, mainly on grass.

Advertisement