Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assembling a new rod

Options
  • 07-09-2012 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭

This is probably a stupid question but...

I have just got 2 new carbon spinning rods and I can't seem to get them to go together. The pieces don't seem to meet fully and it is very hard to get them apart afterwards. I'm afraid of breaking them in trying. Is there a knack to getting them together (and apart) when they are so tight?

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

a little bit of candle wax will lube it for you. You can rub it on dry, straight from the candle.

oh, and make sure you haven't mixed up the sections from the two rods :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Most rods now look like they don't fully go together but it's designed for wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

With the 9ft heavy spin rod (2 piece) the male ferrule is 7cm long but and it ends up 1cm from flush. Would this be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

With the 9ft heavy spin rod (2 piece) the male ferrule is 7cm long but and it ends up 1cm from flush. Would this be ok?

I'd imagine it's ok as it allows for wear over time. As it wears over the years it will close more but the joint will still stay tight. I've heard rubbing the joint with a graphite pencil helps to lubricate it as using oils means grit/sand will stick to it and cause damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 b.w.ollie

An old trick for separating stuck rods with metal ferrules and still works is this: 1. stand with your feet about a foot apart, 2.hold the rod BEHIND your knees making sure the ferrules are between them (ie.in the centre).3. grasp the rod firmly with both hands holding your wrists pressed against the outside of your knees 4. push your knees apart and the rod should separate. The advantage of using this method is that A.You use your leg muscles which are stronger than your wrists, and B.when You try to pull a rod apart using a lot of force Your wrists tend to twist downwards which bends the ferrules and can break the rod. sorry if the description is a bit winded but it is a lot easier to show than describe hope this is some help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Sounds like your rods have spigot joints. These are not designed for the rod sections to meet fully and you shouldn't try to do so. Just push them together until they are a tight fit.

Advertisement