Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teach some of physics to myself.?

• 07-09-2012 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi okay so I have a pretty bad physics teacher A's in he's been out all this week and that's our future for the rest of re year really so i am wondering If ther are any chapters I can teach myself.? And if anyone is doing physics now, what chapters hav u done and are doing ? We've done geometric optics so far.???????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

Hi okay so I have a pretty bad physics teacher A's in he's been out all this week and that's our future for the rest of re year really so i am wondering If ther are any chapters I can teach myself.? And if anyone is doing physics now, what chapters hav u done and are doing ? We've done geometric optics so far.???????

I'm in fifth year, so far we've done temperature and now we're doing linear motion.
    Temperature was really easy, you could try that if you want to study a chapter on your own :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭moosemann0001

Indiego wrote: »

I'm in fifth year, so far we've done temperature and now we're doing linear motion.
    Temperature was really easy, you could try that if you want to study a chapter on your own :)
    Ok thanks a bunch , I'll try do that and some other heat chapters :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Modern physics can be easily learned on your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The chapters on Current and Charge are fairly easy to learn, same goes for Force Acceleration and Momentum.

Your physics book is all you really need, you'll find most of the stuff off the exam in it. Once you know the experiments and the formula's you should be fine.

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Modern physics can be easily learned on your own.
    What's that ? I have real world physics book , is that like electricity or something?

• Advertisement

stetyrrell wrote: »
    The chapters on Current and Charge are fairly easy to learn, same goes for Force Acceleration and Momentum.

Your physics book is all you really need, you'll find most of the stuff off the exam in it. Once you know the experiments and the formula's you should be fine.
    Ugh I hate electricity but I suppose it can't be that hard? Thanks a lot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Hey, I was in the exact same boat as you last year.. had a hdip teacher who was useless so decided to do Physics on my own.. got an A1 :) But if you're looking for an easy section to do by yourself then without a doubt modern physics is the easiest. Also the option question Particle Physics is just so easy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Wesc. wrote: »
    Hey, I was in the exact same boat as you last year.. had a hdip teacher who was useless so decided to do Physics on my own.. got an A1 :) But if you're looking for an easy section to do by yourself then without a doubt modern physics is the easiest. Also the option question Particle Physics is just so easy :)

EDIT: Oh and modern Physics is stuff like The Electron, Radioactivity, Nuclear Power etc. :)

EDIT: Oh and modern Physics is stuff like The Electron, Radioactivity, Nuclear Power etc. :)
    Oh okay thanks for clearing that up .!! Yeah my teacher isn't good at all :/ oh well time to study some modern physics hahaa thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

I'm in sixth year at the moment and I have a terrible teacher, so much so that it almost feels like I haven't got a teacher at all! I have been teaching myself since 5th year and have so far gotten A's in any exams we have had. I think the whole course, besides maybe mechanics, is easy to teach to yourself. Sure, there will be things you won't understand but what I did in these cases was went on YouTube and found a video explaining the topic - seriously some of the teachers are amazing on YouTube. Like yesterday, I watched a video explaining waves from the user brightstorm2 and I understood waves better than any teacher I had in school! Another site I use all the time for physics is thephysicsteacher.ie- really helps if you don't have a great teacher! :)

• Advertisement

I'm in sixth year at the moment and I have a terrible teacher, so much so that it almost feels like I haven't got a teacher at all! I have been teaching myself since 5th year and have so far gotten A's in any exams we have had. I think the whole course, besides maybe mechanics, is easy to teach to yourself. Sure, there will be things you won't understand but what I did in these cases was went on YouTube and found a video explaining the topic - seriously some of the teachers are amazing on YouTube. Like yesterday, I watched a video explaining waves from the user brightstorm2 and I understood waves better than any teacher I had in school! Another site I use all the time for physics is thephysicsteacher.ie- really helps if you don't have a great teacher! :)
    Uh that's so unfair , well done though for getting A's in ur tests with a crap teacher!!! Thanks a lot, and yeah I have been to that site a few times.!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

A good idea is to also check out khanacademy.org, they've some great videos explaining the basics and some of the more complex.

Advertisement