Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Dog Food.

Options
  • 07-09-2012 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Has anybody noticed in recent weeks that lidl brand tinned dog food has gone missing in Dungarvan branch? Some time ago they stopped selling their optidog without warning,now the tins have dissappeared as well. What the hell is going on? I had my girls settled on the optidog in the black and white bags,now with it missing i have had to try them with 3 or 4 different nuts as GSD's are known for having sensitive tummies.

If lidl have given up dog food where the hell in Dungarvan am i supposed to get it? I have tried Red Mills star and it just ran thru them,on Wagga from Butlers now but i noticed yesterday that its full of cereal so that is off menu once bag is gone.Geese that optidog was brilliant,what the hell happened?

I have tried RAW and its just too expensive and hard to get consistent supply,also i refuse to pay circa 80 euro or more for a bag of nuts like Royal Canin or Eukanuba or whatever.Does not leave much choice then does it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I've had the same problem in Limerick. I was afraid that they might be getting rid of it, looks like it now? I tried my 2 on Aldi tins and tbh they love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

Have you tried Purina Beta Sensitive?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadman1972

Brianne is that a tin food? If so how much? Thanks.

No these are nuts. Butlers do them. They are expensive alright, up around 50 for the large bag.

See i refuse to pay that sort of proce for dog nuts,bloody ridiculous.Thanks Brianne but if i could afford that i would feed them RAW instead.Besides i have noticed lately even some of the leading brands are not up to scratch ingredients wise so i will be looking further.I will certainley look into that one that you just told me in Butlers thanks.Now i just need to find tins lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

was in Lidl in Waterford this morning, despite not using myself I asked why,according to the cashier they are having problems with the supplier but hoping it would be back. Any more info and I will post, enjoy the sunny day.
    Regards Foxy

Thanks for that Foxy,i think the tins of gravy food are back in Dungarvan but the meat in jelly ones are not.

Yes certainly some of those dog nuts are really expensive. Luckily any of my mutts dont have sensitive stomachs and can eat anything. One of my family uses Beta as scarcely any other nut will suit their dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Demonical

Has anybody noticed in recent weeks that lidl brand tinned dog food has gone missing in Dungarvan branch? Some time ago they stopped selling their optidog without warning,now the tins have dissappeared as well. What the hell is going on? I had my girls settled on the optidog in the black and white bags,now with it missing i have had to try them with 3 or 4 different nuts as GSD's are known for having sensitive tummies.

If lidl have given up dog food where the hell in Dungarvan am i supposed to get it? I have tried Red Mills star and it just ran thru them,on Wagga from Butlers now but i noticed yesterday that its full of cereal so that is off menu once bag is gone.Geese that optidog was brilliant,what the hell happened?

I have tried RAW and its just too expensive and hard to get consistent supply,also i refuse to pay circa 80 euro or more for a bag of nuts like Royal Canin or Eukanuba or whatever.Does not leave much choice then does it?

Raw isnt that expensive to feed. Go to Cappoquin chickens and ask for pet food. The first time I went I got €20 worth and I got a boot full of stuff. Some of it may be gone off but my dog eats it no bother. Their digestive system is built to handle it. Although if you are introducing them to raw dont give all gone off at once. I also give her ox/lambs heart, tongue and liver bought in the butchers and bits and pieces of other things. I find it overall to be cheaper than buying tinned and kibble.

Im new enough to feeding raw myself but if you need any information feel free to ask and Ill answer as best as I can.

Demonical i would say it has been a while since you were at cappoquin chickens? You do know that it is Halal factory now? I have tried every local butcher and i cannot get a consiostent cheap supply of RAW.As a matter of intrest what do you mean raw is cheaper than tins and nuts? Find that hard to believe.

• Advertisement

I was only up at cappoquin chicken last week. I didnt know it was Halal tho. My girl gets approx 1kg a day, made up mostly of chicken. She is approx 40kg shepherd mix. I got about 15/20kg of chicken from cappoquin the other day for €10. Beef heart which is about 3/4kg costs €4 or €5 in my local butchers, depending on which one I go to. Ox tongue is €5 also which is around the same weight as the heart. lambs/ox liver is cheaper than the heart which she gets a little bit of that every week.
    Other butchers may give off cuts everynow and then and stuff past their sell buy date. Supermarkets also may have stuff thats out of date that day and you can get it cheap its just a matter of looking around.

Demonical how much would you say on average does it cost you per day to feed your dog? Problem is heart and liver have too much iron so you can't feed them every day because it is bad for your dog,it binds them up big time.Feeding a few times a week is ok but thats all.When you say you got chicken from Cappoquin Chickens what exactly are we talking about? If its all bone and skin it wouldn't be much use to me i am afraid as a full meal.

Don't get me wrong i do appreciate your information,my problem is consistency of supply.Supermarkets i get ya on that one but that just is not consistent enough,you wouldn't get enough in Dunnes to feed yourself never mind two GSD's and Lidl don't sell meat like that. Another problem with that is it would require multiple trips per week into town which is not practical.

Believe me when i say i have been to every butcher and supermarket in town and it just is not happening,none of them have a consistent supply of raw suitable for GSD's.On top of that at those prices for heart and liver who could afford it anyway?Nearest place i could get to supply raw is in Wexford and that is from a distributor for a UK company and its just too expensive to do fulltime tbh.

I tried all the local butchers and all i got was "oh i can't give you that cause of regulations",where do you go from there?

Im unsure exactly how much it costs ive never really priced it out like that. I buy a fair bit in a go and stick it in the freezer - about €10 a week maybe, definitly not more than €20 a week. Lidl sell chicken legs for €2.85 for a kg so even if I couldnt get anything else I would feed her that if I had to - €2.85 X 7 = €19.95. Ive never had to do that tho.

The stuff Ive gotten from cappoquin varies. Ive gotten legs (thighs and drumstick), full chickens & breasts that have been past their sell by dates - slightly stinky but she eats them. I have gotten backs that is mainly skin and bone but fresh. In the last load I got drumsticks, thighs and breasts cut up and about a day or so out of date but still perfect for her.

You'd need a big freezer though to save ya multiple trips.

I understand where your coming from with the regulations ****e, Ive gotten that in a few places. Pure waste if you ask me especially from the supermarkets since its all just going in the bin but shur thats the silly over PC and health and safety bull we have ta put up with these days.

Demonical maybe you could help me out and send me your contact in Cappoquin Chickens? When you go up what exactly do you ask them for? Is it a case of please gimme a carton of chicken bits? I would love to at least feed my girls part raw even if i can't afford full raw.

Yeah just go up to the reception at cappoquin and ask for €5 or €10 pet food. You pay at reception and then go down to another area to collect.
    Reception is in to the left when you come in the main entrance, the collection point is to the right of the main entrance, there is a door there alongside an area where lorries back up to load/unload. Can be a bit hard alrite to figure out if you've never been there and there is no-one around but you'll eventually find someone to point the way.

Forgot to say just go up any day between normal working hours.

Just curious is this chicken meat or are there bones in it also. The danger giving dogs chicken bones is they splinter when chewed and can harm the dogs throat or stick in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

They had that tinned food in Lidl lon friday when I was there doing my shopping. My sister gets that stuff for her dog too and they had to buy different food for a few weeks.

Steve30x thanks,i got the bigt tins inlidl the other day but for some reason they only have the stuff with gravy, i always get the chicken in jelly because the girls love it. Anyway got 12 tins of the other stuff its better than nothing.If it goes again i don't know what i will do.

Demonical can you feed GSD on your chicken bits and nothing else? If i got that stuff from Cappoquin what else would i have to give with it?

Brianne wrote: »
    Just curious is this chicken meat or are there bones in it also. The danger giving dogs chicken bones is they splinter when chewed and can harm the dogs throat or stick in it.

Cooked bones splinter. Uncooked chicken bones are soft and maleable (sorta) and pose very little threat. If they did pose such a threat every fox in the country would die from choking. :)
    Demonical can you feed GSD on your chicken bits and nothing else? If i got that stuff from Cappoquin what else would i have to give with it?

I work on the theory of giving her approx 80/10/10 - 80% meat, 10% organ and 10% bone. Its the whole prey model I think its called as most normal prey for dogs/wolves contain those percentages but I think I read somewhere that chicken may have a higher percentage of bone.
    Just keep an eye on their poops, too runny may mean too much organ, too hard could be too much bone. When you swop them to raw at first you prob will get runny poo from them but just keep feeding it, its normal, but keep an eye, you know yourself. It shouldnt last for more than a few days.
    You can give them a meal of liver once a week, its an essential organ for them, Im not sure why but I think it could be the vit B - totally open to correction there though, I think I have it stuck in my head from school that vit b comes from liver...A little bit of other organs I think is needed too, like kidney.
    Just giving the chicken once its not all bone or all meat along with the liver should suffice for a couple of weeks for you. My girl gets fed up of the same thing though and likes a change every now and then so I give tongue, heart, eggs, lamb ribs, kidney and a few other things, what ever I can get my hands on that doesnt break the bank.

If you are on facebook look up the group "raw feeding (RF)" Thats where I got most of my info along with a few other sites. As I mentioned before Im fairly new to it myself and still learning the dos and donts. There is a few links here that should explain things a bit better than me.

http://preymodelraw.com/how-to-get-started/
    http://rawfed.com/
    http://rawfeddogs.org/benefits.html

• Advertisement

Demonical i am on fb and am in both a UK and Irish raw group.

Advertisement