Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newcomer to Dublin - how safe is it?

Options
  • 07-09-2012 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I'll be moving to the Ballsbridge area next month. I've heard a lot of things about Dublin's security - just how safe/dangerous is it? Are burglaries common in the D4 area? Is a ground floor flat safe?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

you'll be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Its really all common sense, don't be out walking alone, don't carry valuables, don't make eye contact with strangers. You'll pick up the lingo quick enough and they'll think your a local.

Seriously though, you've nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Nostoi

Thanks. I'm not so worried about being out, more about home invasion. How likely is it in this area...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Having your home invaded by armed criminals when you are there is incredibly rare. Normal burglary has been on the increase, so don't leave doors and windows open when the house is unoccupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

where are you moving from, honestly, you'll be fine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

Nostoi wrote: »
    Hi,

I'll be moving to the Ballsbridge area next month. I've heard a lot of things about Dublin's security - just how safe/dangerous is it? Are burglaries common in the D4 area? Is a ground floor flat safe?

Thanks all.

Where do u live currently? I'd say you should be safe enough just keep a baseball bat under the bed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Goose81

Thanks. I'm not so worried about being out, more about home invasion. How likely is it in this area...?

Not likely at all, you are living in a very affluent area.

Paris.
    ciaran_h wrote: »
    Where do u live currently? I'd say you should be safe enough just keep a baseball bat under the bed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

If you're living in an isolated cottage down the bogs, then yes, an armed invasion is a far bigger possibility.
    Burglaries in Dublin are opportunistic (open doors, windows etc.) mainly. Invest in a bolt for your front door and sleep easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Hi,

Thanks all.

ground floor flat a bad idea, which is why they go cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Fuinseog wrote: »
    ground floor flat a bad idea, which is why they go cheap.

They are cheaper because they are less private. They are actually safer than houses because access is more limited. Most, if not all houses are actually "ground floor" and they usually have more entry points, so Nostoi, the usual precautions... don't leave your valuables on show and lock up properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Ballsbridge is a nice, affluent area.
    Take the usual precautions (don't leave windows open when you're not home etc.) and you'll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Its really all common sense, don't be out walking alone, don't carry valuables, don't make eye contact with strangers. You'll pick up the lingo quick enough and they'll think your a local.

Seriously though, you've nothing to worry about.

Don't walk alone in Dublin? Never heard such ****e.

OP - you will be living in one of the nicest, safest areas of Dublin. You have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

OP considering your moving from Paris you are well used to city living and should know majority of the time you will have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Stay close to the UN patrolled sectors obviously :P

How safe is Paris?

Paris is very safe, I've never had to worry at all. But I'm in a loft, with an almost impenetrable series of doors.

I'm only concerned with the ground floor situation in Dublin - the flat is accessible via some french doors from the back of the building. PVC doors. I guess I'm wondering how determined someone would have to be to hammer down the backdoor....

Bambi wrote: »
    Stay close to the UN patrolled sectors obviously :P

How safe is Paris?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Keepon

Nostoi, you're in more danger of a heart attack from anxiety at this stage.

Lock your doors. Don't leave your stuff lying around. Nothing is going to happen.

Chill, man....

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Ground floor flat is less secure for sure .You will need a house alarm ,for peace of mind ,which are cheap enough .Your apartment block may also have security ,for vehical entry at least .That area is probably the safest in Dublin though because of near by Embassyies and a large Police presence.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

anto9 wrote: »
    Ground floor flat is less secure for sure .You will need a house alarm ,for peace of mind ,which are cheap enough .Your apartment block may also have security ,for vehical entry at least .That area is probably the safest in Dublin though because of near by Embassyies and a large Police presence.

i really dont understand a this ground floor is less safe - does that mean everyone who lives in a house ON THE GROUND floor isnt safe?

OP, seriously, you need to chill, make sure your doors are locked and you dont leave wads of cash visible from the window and you will be fine.

are you going to be a bank manager or an owner of a post office:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Tusky wrote: »
    Don't walk alone in Dublin? Never heard such ****e.

Your a man on the edge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Nostoi, I've lived in the Ballsbridge area for nearly 30 years. My home has never been broken in to, I have never met any strange or dangerous people around there area and I have never felt the need to worry about a thing.

Dublin is a very safe city for the most part. Around the suburbs of the south side where you are staying and around the city centre it is all very safe.

Common sense is important though, don't leave doors and windows open in your house when you are not there or at night, don't walk in empty or secluded areas on your own at night or poorly lit areas with little or no foot traffic / other people - the same safety precautions that apply anywhere in the world.

The one unique problem to Dublin that you may not have encountered at home is the drink culture and how stupid drunk people are. You will only really come across the extremities of this in the city centre, and my advice would be to enjoy yourself, but avoid extremely drunk people on the street, who are slurring / talking to strangers / shouting, just because they are unpredictable.

Also, if people are drinking alcohol out of cans on the street at night, they are usually the type to be avoided also.

But enjoy Dublin, it is a very safe city, well policed and very civalised for the most part, and your area in particular is very safe. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

dublin is a safe city,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

Ballsbridge is one of the safest places going. I lived there for a while and it was a joy to take a walk around midnight on a a warm night like this. Very low burglary as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sharonmuch

Balsbridge is a nice place . but you know there is no place were it is 100% safe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Ballsbridge is a very safe area in a very safe city. Keep your wits about you and Dublin is a playground, many posters on here though and the Irish tabloids would like you to believe it's downtown Kabul.

19 years here, no break-ins, no muggings, no assaults. It's a lovely city.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

I don't think the gang warfare has quite hit Ballsbridge yet so I reckon you'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Ballsbridge is a great area, I'd love to get a place there but it's a bit out of reach.
    Enjoy your new place. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

D4 is more of a white-collar crime area. You'll be safe enough, unless you're running a bank or a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

My old ground floor flat in Dublin city centre - Heroin Junkies regularly injected heroin in the back lane and even in my balcony.. here is a video of it happening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUlSeoklfAqihB0EbZGQQIKQ&v=XCdA1gkSeBY&feature=player_detailpage

I recommend NOT getting a ground floor flat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

lima wrote: »
    I recommend NOT getting a ground floor flat

So I presume you must be totally against houses? Unless they're on stilts maybe?

Look, there are some places in Dublin I wouldnt choose to live but sweeping statements like the above are silly.

Advertisement