Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newcomer to Dublin - how safe is it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

lima wrote: »
    My old ground floor flat in Dublin city centre - Heroin Junkies regularly injected heroin in the back lane and even in my balcony.. here is a video of it happening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUlSeoklfAqihB0EbZGQQIKQ&v=XCdA1gkSeBY&feature=player_detailpage

I recommend NOT getting a ground floor flat

Where is this exactly ? because your sweeping statement is just that.

Looks like you had a new build apartment in an area which had an accessible laneway at the rear. id imagine rent was reasonably cheap there ?

drug users love secluded laneways that are accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    So I presume you must be totally against houses? Unless they're on stilts maybe?

Look, there are some places in Dublin I wouldnt choose to live but sweeping statements like the above are silly.

You can presume what you want mate.

I'm talking about city centre ground floor dwellings. Note 'city centre', because as you may or may not know, the city centre is awash with heroin addicts who crawl up and down lanes to smoke and inject heroin and this newcomer to Dublin has a right to know. If you are living in a city centre ground floor dwelling and have never had a bother and feel safe then good for you, if you put your argument across then the newcomer will have another opinion to weigh up against mine.

City centre - just emphasizing it again in case you read over my comment too fast again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

OP, nothing to worry about. I live in a 3rd floor apartment in west dublin, if you'd feel safer PM me and I'll arrange to swap :D
    Ballsbridge is probably the safest and one of the nicest areas of Dublin to live in.

I'm talking about city centre ground floor dwellings. Note 'city centre', because as you may or may not know, the city centre is awash with heroin addicts who crawl up and down lanes to smoke and inject heroin and this newcomer to Dublin has a right to know. If you are living in a city centre ground floor dwelling and have never had a bother and feel safe then good for you, if you put your argument across then the newcomer will have another opinion to weigh up against mine.

City centre - just emphasizing it again in case you read over my comment too fast again.
    And this thread is about Ballsbridge in Dublin 4. You might as well have a video of junkies shooting up in a crack den in south detroit, it's about as relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    don't make eye contact with strangers

Really?

Cienciano wrote: »
    OP, nothing to worry about. I live in a 3rd floor apartment in west dublin, if you'd feel safer PM me and I'll arrange to swap :D
    Ballsbridge is probably the safest and one of the nicest areas of Dublin to live in.

And this thread is about Ballsbridge in Dublin 4. You might as well have a video of junkies shooting up in a crack den in south detroit, it's about as relevant.

Detroit is a lot farther away from D4 than D1 is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Ah get over it would ya, they're two completely different parts of the city and you know it.
    Never in my life have I ever heard someone compare Balldbridge with North Inner City Dublin before.
    Are you purposely trying to scare the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

did you read over my comment too fast or simply ignore it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

The area around Ballsbridge is very safe due to all the major Embassies in the area ie the British and American Embassies.

Im a landlord of 15 properties and in 18 years only 2 house of the house have had anything robbed. One being last month the tenants leaving the front ground floor window open with a flat screen TV visible and another house 2 years ago with a broken that they climbed in.

Dublin is very safe however be careful of begging roma gypsies that often pick pocket and avoid at abbey street area of dublin due to drug addicts.

But other than that you will be very safe.

Also if your in a flat rather an apartment I would check it out before you pay a deposit as often flats are cold,damp and tiny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

He's living in BALLSBRIDGE!

listermint wrote: »
    did you read over my comment too fast or simply ignore it ?

Huh? You are quoting my response to someone else's post.

• Advertisement

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    He's living in BALLSBRIDGE!

I'm informing him of the bad things in Dublin. He asked how safe it is.

listermint wrote: »
    Where is this exactly ? because your sweeping statement is just that.

Looks like you had a new build apartment in an area which had an accessible laneway at the rear. id imagine rent was reasonably cheap there ?

drug users love secluded laneways that are accessible.

off Capel St, 850sqft 1br for e950. Lovely apartment but yep an accessible lane. Moved the hell out of there soon after a syringe and massive ****e were gifted to me on my balcony.

Funnily enough I live close to Ballsbridge now, lovely area ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

If you're living in an isolated cottage down the bogs, then yes, an armed invasion is a far bigger possibility.

You literally have no idea what you're on about, do you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Neeson wrote: »
    Really?

Never, its a jungle out there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

ah it's threads like this that really make you wish the internet never existed (or something) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Ballsbridge is built on a major water reservoir which is liable to burst any day now and flood there and beyond into the city Centre. So my advice to you is to invest in a gondola for yourself, they're pricey at the moment though because no one wants to fix " that ****ing reservoir" because it's an awful lot of effort, sure you know yourself, and as a result the prices of gondolas have shot up, but when the time comes you'll be glad you bought. That's if the reservoir actually floods, there'll be an awful lot of eejits otherwise.

You could just invest in a lilo, but that isn't the ballsbridge way, and likely when the time comes and everyone else is in their fancy gondolas heading to work and they see you in your lilo, you'll get laughed out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Ballsbridge? You'll be fine, just make sure not to pick up the accent

• Registered Users Posts: 47 BrazIrish

Well, I'd say Dublin not THAT safe, even though it is safe. As in any major city careful with your belongs, I have been assaulted and attacked 3 times in less than 2 years living in Dublin. From my flat in Dublin 8 I saw nearly once a week a couple of lads breaking car windows and taking whatever they could while they were stopped in the traffic light. And I know people who had their phones taken from their hands in Henry Street during the day and they weren't alone. Anyway, you have to be careful.
    I moved recently to Ringsend, which is D4, and I really feel safe here despite the social housing one block away. Never had any problem over here. I work just across the toll bridge and sometimes I leave home 4am and come back after 12am and still feel very safe and using my iphone on the street, but here. Never in some other areas of Dublin. You will be fine in Ballsbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

From my flat in Dublin 8 I saw nearly once a week a couple of lads breaking car windows and taking whatever they could while they were stopped in the traffic light. And
    Dublin 8 there's the problem right there. Stay the F out of D8. I lived most of my life in Dublin, never had a problem and that's over forty years. First bit of action I saw was in Galway when I moved there. Even then it was the classic, 'You looking at my girlfriend' scenario.
    As in any major city careful with your belongs, I have been assaulted and attacked 3 times in less than 2 years living in Dublin.
    You have been unlucky or careless. I grew up in Dublin, never saw the like. Maybe I'm streetwise. I think you've been unlucky though.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 BrazIrish

bluecode wrote: »
    You have been unlucky or careless. I grew up in Dublin, never saw the like. Maybe I'm streetwise. I think you've been unlucky though.

I was born and raised in São Paulo so it was really unexpected to go through such a situation here, I was really careless the first time and I was on the Luas red line. The other two times I was 'unlucky' or not just me but some other friends as I said... and never alone

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I live in a house on the ground floor in the city centre and its perfectly safe, just because there are junkies outside your house, you shouldnt assume its the same for all ground floor houses :cool:

irishbird wrote: »
    I live in a house on the ground floor in the city centre and its perfectly safe, just because there are junkies outside your house, you shouldnt assume its the same for all ground floor houses :cool:

You are lucky. I think the reason for it happening in my old place was that the junkies would buy heroin around the corner, go down the lane, inject, have a ****e and get the red luas home.

Advertisement