Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend a weedkiller that actually works?

Options
  • 07-09-2012 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭

Particularly one which works between the cracks of pavements? I've been using Weedol Rootkill which seems to promise a lot but delivers very little. Even though I use it regularly, the weeds are back again after about a week.

Can anybody recommend a weedkiller which works for them? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Roundup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

ooo argghhhh Jim lad.....

you be wanting a systemic weedkiller with glyphosate init....

oooo argh jim lad :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

prospect wrote: »
    Roundup.

Or the cheaper version of the same, Gallup. They will also kill grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Try normal boiling hot water!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭the great purveyor of mediocrity

"Gallup" will sort out your problem. It's expensive but for an ordinary domestic house, you will get years out of it. Get yourself a little plastic pasteur pipette as well for doing accurate small volume dilutions if it is only small amounts that you will need at a time.
    It is very slow acting so wait at least ten to fourteen days before you judge how effective it has been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

the best and cheapest way to kill any weeds is to spray them with petrol or white spirits DO NOT LIGHT IT be careful to avoid other plants etc as this kills everything,the weed will be completely dead in less than a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

If you absolutely, positively have to kill every motherfu€king weed on your patio/drive etc, it's got to be Hytrol - without doubt the baddest, most evil weedkiller on the market today. It will take about 2 weeks to work properly but you will have complete genocide of all plant life and no weeding to do for at least 6 months after!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Homemade Weed Killer #1
    You can make a homemade weed killer using white vinegar, salt and dishwashing liquid. Most people call this a weed killer, but it is actually a vegetation killer. It will kill anything it comes in contact with and will change the composition of your soil. If you spray it on your lawn, it will kill the entire lawn and you will not be able to plant new grass for some time. The same is true in your garden. You will not be able to plant where you spray it for several months. So before you do it, think twice. Mix a gallon of white vinegar with a cup of table salt and 1 tablespoon of dishwashing liquid. The dishwashing liquid makes the solution stick to the plant leaves. Make sure you shake the solution to dissolve the salt

Keep in mind that many plants have already dropped their seeds, so the weeds are going to come back. The best solution to eradicate weeds is spend the time to pull them out when they first appear for several years and use the solution to spot kill weeds in a garden but not a lawn.

Homemade Weed Killer #2
    If weeds appear in the cracks of your cement, the easiest and least expensive method to remove them is to simply pour boiling water on them. This method will kill any weed without using chemicals or changing your soil. This spot treatment can be difficult in tight areas of gardens, but is still very feasible with careful application.

Homemade Weed Killer #3
    Boil water, pour on weeds, and then it will die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

NIMAN wrote: »
    Homemade Weed Killer #1
    You can make a homemade weed killer using white vinegar, salt and dishwashing liquid.
    Yeah, I tried that once. It sort of half works for a few weeks, then the plants recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

byronbay2 wrote: »
    If you absolutely, positively have to kill every motherfu€king weed on your patio/drive etc, it's got to be Hytrol - without doubt the baddest, most evil weedkiller on the market today. It will take about 2 weeks to work properly but you will have complete genocide of all plant life and no weeding to do for at least 6 months after!

Hytrol was recommended to me recently for a patio and driveway done in cobblelock. In the past I have used Roundup, Gallup and Touchdown but I find the weeds are growing back fairly quickly so I'm definitely going to give Hytrol a go !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Squiggle wrote: »
    In the past I have used Roundup, Gallup and Touchdown but I find the weeds are growing back fairly quickly
    The trick is, to get a week of dry weather after you spray. If it rains the night you spray, the chemical washes off and it's useless.

Advertisement