Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installed Wrong Version of Windows

Options
  • 07-09-2012 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hey guys, I got my new parts for my computer today, put it together all went fine. Then I accidentally installed Windows 7 Professional when my CD Key is for Windows 7 Home.

I thought it was no big deal and I could just re install, so I put the right CD in and booted I get a 'Loading Windows Files' or something like that then it just blue screens.

I can still boot into Win 7 Professional and everything seems to be working but I am still getting this blue screen when I try install the proper OS.

It says basically a problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage.

I am thinking maybe the CD is dodgy so I am burning a new one but in the mean time, anyone came across this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Sounds very much like it's corrupted. Do a hash check on your image to make sure it's all there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

Monotype wrote: »
    Sounds very much like it's corrupted. Do a hash check on your image to make sure it's all there too.

I started re downloading it just before posting here and it is near finished so fingers crossed that's all the problem is.

Just do a hash check anyway when it's done. Details how in the windows guide in my signature.

Done the Hash, can't seem to find where I compare my results though

Scrap that actually if it's the SHA1 I found it, mine's the same so I'm guessing my problem is something else?

Edit again, now got the install running by booting into the incorrect version of windows and just running it from there, so far so good but early days yet

EDIT: And that was no good, back to blue screen -.-

Is your DVD drive okay? Check the connections on that. Alternatively, if you have a 4GB USB drive, you can use that.

• Advertisement

It must be because I have installed the wrong version of windows using it.

I had a USB prepared for this but it doesn't work, that's why I have resorted to the CD.

Took out the GPU and 1 stick of RAM too. That didn't help.

I have booted into the Windows Pro I have installed and I'm running the CD that came with the mobo, heard that might cause issue's if it isnt up to date

It seems unusual that Windows Pro worked fine while home doesn't. It could be a hardware error.

Is it crashing before you select the drive to install it to?

What happened with the USB drive that it didn't work?

It seems unusual that Windows Pro worked fine while home doesn't. It could be a hardware error.

Is it crashing before you select the drive to install it to?

What happened with the USB drive that it didn't work?

Yup, that's what originally led to to believing it was the CD and not the hardware.

Yup, I see the "Loading Windows files" Screen (Black screen with the white loading bar at the bottom). That screen finishes, then it comes to the next screen that stays for maybe 2 seconds before it Blue Screen's.

I selected the USB as the installation drive then I just get a screen saying select a bootable device. I am creating a new usb atm to try

Did you use a USB tool for installing windows like the one from Microsoft or the Universal Installer rather than just copying the files?

It might be trying read the installation on the drive and it's having some kind of error. Have you got an external enclosure or another PC that you could put the drive into to wipe it? You could also boot up into a linux live disk to wipe it.

I'd suggest a BIOS update but since the first installation worked okay, I doubt that it is an issue that can be fixed by that.

Did you use a USB tool for installing windows like the one from Microsoft or the Universal Installer rather than just copying the files?

It might be trying read the installation on the drive and it's having some kind of error. Have you got an external enclosure or another PC that you could put the drive into to wipe it? You could also boot up into a linux live disk to wipe it.

I'd suggest a BIOS update but since the first installation worked okay, I doubt that it is an issue that can be fixed by that.

I made it via command prompt, like this:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/usb-installation-disk-windows-7-extra-software/

I have my old pc, do I just need to hook this HDD into it and format it or what?

• Advertisement

Ah well okay. Just give the Microsoft official one a go anyway. That's always worked for me. Make sure that you've set USB drive as the top priority as well and that it's not mistaking other drives for storage.

Yeah, I'd give that a go. Delete the partitions and do a quick format.
    It's hard to tell what exactly could be causing the problems, but just eliminate them one by one.

EDIT:

So I got Windows 8 from MSDN Academic Alliance and it seems to be installing.

Don't know why but it seems it was the version of windows that was causing the issue.

Pretty sure it was you helped me sort out the parts for this Computer Monotype, so owe you big time for the help, it's all much appreciated

Advertisement