Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bad experience with recruitment agency

Options
  • 07-09-2012 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Please forgive me for the length of this post

Over two months ago I applied for a full time permanent receptionist job advertised by a recruitment agency. I then got a call and went in for an interview with the agency. The recruitment consultant who interviewed me was top of her recruitment agency and she was very pleased with me. She told me she may have to send me for an interview with the actual company but that I was her favourite for the position.
    Two days later, the woman from the recruitment agency rang me and told me she had good news. She told me the company were willing to offer me a trial 4 week period of work instead of an interview, to see if I can do the actual job. She then asked me can I please keep those 4 weeks free. At the time she rang me it was the beginning of July and she asked me to keep the first two weeks and last two weeks of August free. She told me she was relying on me now so I assured her I would keep those dates free.
    I was delighted with this news and told my family and friends who all got my hopes up that I would have no problem getting offered the job once I make a good impression.
    Roll on a month, and the recruitment lady rang me two days before I was due to start saying there had been a delay and I wasnt going to be needed for the first two weeks but that I would definitely be working the last two weeks as planned. I was very polite and said that was no problem as she seemed very nice and I trusted her. However the same thing happened with the last two weeks. She rang me the day before and asked me was I still available if the company wanted me. I told her of course I was but she later left me an email telling me I was not needed and she would be in touch when she heard anything. She said
    "Unfortunately it would appear they are not going to need anyone next week-as the desk is quiet and they feel they have enough staff to cover. To date they haven't done any interviews for the receptionist role and the position is still running.I am waiting for HR to advise on temp assignment, as it is entirely out of my hands at this point. I will be in touch as soon as I have an update."

I felt very let down as this woman had confirmed my rate of pay for the job, my hours, and she even told me what the sandwiches for lunch were like... She had completely gone back on her word and I had no idea why.... I had avoided looking for other jobs.

Finally about a week ago I emailed her and asked her was there any update. I said
    "As I now have my hopes pinned on the job for the past two months, can you please advise me what my chances are? What have the company said to you regarding the reception job? When do they plan to start interviews and hire a receptionist? Will there be a temp assignment as originally planned? I understand you may not know the answers to my questions but is there any way you can call them and find out because the job was advertised by you two months ago. I know you said you would contact me with any updates but I just want to know what is happening? "
    I got a few failed delivery messages so I tried a few more times. I dont know if she had blocked my emails or what happened but eventually after trying 4 or 5 times, my email sent. She immediately rang me back shouting at me for "bombarding her" with emails. I was not aware my emails were sending at all. I remained calm and polite always without once raising my voice. She on the other hand was extremely irrate. She made it like it was my fault and she said "I TOLD YOU I WOULD CONTACT YOU WHEN I KNOW SOMETHINGG"
    I then told her I was waiting two months and i just wanted a yes or no. She said "well that is the nature with temp assignements" but the job advertised by her was a full time job. I feel confused and unsure.
    I still havent heard back from her. She seems completely unreliable.
    What can I do now? One friend suggested I contact the company directly but I'm not sure this is a good idea...
    How can she advertise a job and it just vanishes like that? What should I do?
    Wait around longer in the hopes that the job is there or give up altogether?
    Has anybody any advise? I just had a complete anti climax with the whole thing..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Forget, move on, keep looking elsewhere. You shouldn't have stopped your job search until you have a signed contract in hand. She shouldn't have given you the impression that you have the job, but if the company backed off there is nothing she can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

What should you do?

Learn from the experience.

Never stop searching and never turn down any other opportunities, until you're actually in the job.

Honestly, recruitment agencies are known for this sort of thing. Until the contract is signed, assume the job is fictional.

Move on, but don't forget the experience. Not much more you can do, to be honest! (Oh, maybe avoid that particular agency in future ...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

She sounds like a cow tbh!

But oh well, you'll meet people like that wherever you go.. recruitment agencies, HR, management.. people who'll promise you the world and not deliver.

One lesson you should take out of all this is "don't count your chickens before they hatch". Even if you go a solid job offer and sign the contract you should continue looking for work: things can fall through even at the last minute. Also, you might find a better job (full-time or better pay), or you might start the first job and realise instantly that it's not for you.

Advertisement