Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a FIFA tournament viable?

Options
  • 07-09-2012 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if it's possible to run a FIFA tournament in say, a 2 hour timeslot? I know very little about the game and despite many googling attempts, can't seem to find much information on how to run a tournament in it. I see that people do run tournaments so I guess I'm asking what the BEST way to do so is.

To put it into context - it would be a tournament at an anime convention so it must fit into a timeslot of about 2 hours. How long is each individual match? Should it be just one match or best of 3? Are their any particular rules that would need to be specified for the tournament e.g. I saw somewhere that 5 star teams should be banned?

Thank you in advance for any information at all! I'd love to run a FIFA tournament for something different but I need to find out exactly how to do so and if it would suit :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Konata wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if it's possible to run a FIFA tournament in say, a 2 hour timeslot? I know very little about the game and despite many googling attempts, can't seem to find much information on how to run a tournament in it. I see that people do run tournaments so I guess I'm asking what the BEST way to do so is.

To put it into context - it would be a tournament at an anime convention so it must fit into a timeslot of about 2 hours. How long is each individual match? Should it be just one match or best of 3? Are their any particular rules that would need to be specified for the tournament e.g. I saw somewhere that 5 star teams should be banned?

Thank you in advance for any information at all! I'd love to run a FIFA tournament for something different but I need to find out exactly how to do so and if it would suit :)

Each match 6mins on ranked but 4mins would do your looking at roughly 10mins a game plus 5 min break after each.. 1 match if lots of people, 2 or 3 if you can fit in the time.. You would get about 10 games played in that time.. So there could be like 9 stages of knockout then the last game being the final?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Guys at the Pro Evo and Fifa forum would probably give you the right answers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Guys at the Pro Evo and Fifa forum would probably give you the right answers :)

Didn't even know that existed >_< Mods, would yous move this thread over there please?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Moved from Games to PES&FIFA. :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

If you are looking at one console for the tournament then you would have to play quick games, 3 minute halves in a knockout type tournament if you have a few people taking part.

If you have more than one console you could look at extending the amount of time - it depends on the number of players really but take into account after the knockout rounds you also need the semi finals and finals etc.

So say 6 mins per game and 1-2 min between people changing places and setting up the games = approx 8 mins

16 players - 8 knockout games = 64mins
    8 players through to next round - 4 games = 32mins
    4 players through - 2 games = 16mins
    Final - 1 game = 8 mins

Total time 120 mins

As regards rules id just keep it simple - club teams only and then let them pick who they want, doesnt matter if some pick the same team or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

If you are doing 6min halfs, keep in mind it will take at least 15mins, closer to 20 to complete the game as the clock stops when the ball is out of play.

The most fun way to do a tournament if it's not a FIFA crowd is to do 2v2 teams in pairs. Great craic, levels the playing field if there is one guy way better than the rest, and will reduce the amount of matches by half if you have a lot of numbers.

Say 30 people sign up, in a single player tournament thats 15 matches for round one. But if your doing teams, one team gets a bye and then 7 matches in round one. Say that's 5 min halfs and you have 2 consoles running FIFA, it's 15mins to have 2 games done, so all 7 games are played in 45mins, on to the next round with 8 teams left you get all 4 games played in 30 mins, the semi's will take 15 mins, then you can have a 10min break to leave yourself with 20mins to play the final, or no break and finish early. You can lose a lot of time unless you limit how long people have to edit their lineups and tinker with tactics, but basically try and get matches going as quick as possible if your pressed for time. Also, make sure competitors don't wander off, nothing worse than standing there saying "Bueller.... Bueller..." and your semi-finalist has gone missing.

So based on that recommendation I would:
    -Definately get someone to help you run it, rounding up competitors for their next game, keeping an eye on the games etc.
    -Really try and get at least 2 consoles to run games simultaneously.
    -Make it a 2v2 pairs competition.
    -Keep it at 5min halfs (difficulty either Pro or World Class, take a vote with the lads)
    -Limit the amount of participating teams to 16 (32 players at an anime convention would be doing well surely?)
    -If you don't get more than 20 players then do the same format but for single player.
    -If the anime guys don't walk around and go to things with a FIFA partner, you can draw the names out of a hat in a Champions League style draw to find everyone a partner, this is often more fun than the tournament.

And I wouldnt put a limit on star-level of teams, this is just a source for complaining in my experience, advise players to use the best/their favourite teams for the most level playing field, expect a lot of Real and Barca.

Above all else, have fun. FIFA tournaments are absolutely epic when done well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate it :) Decided to run the tournament eeek!

Currently putting together a rule set for the tournament. Is there any particular rules I should be aware of? Things that are banned? Required settings?

Advertisement