Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Metro Any Good?

• 07-09-2012 6:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

Hi, we are thinking of getting Digiweb's Metro 30MB Internet service when our Vodafone @ Home contract runs out in May, Any have/had it? What's it like? Location? Speeds? Speed test results? Thanks! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi Alan

Your Vodafone @ Home contract ends next May I presume or can you end it sooner. By that stage I expect the Digiweb Metro service to be hopefully faster than 30MB. Just a note the Metro service is a fixed wireless service incorporating a small antenna on your roof which then connects to a small modem inside the house and is not like DSL, which uses a phone line. The other benefit to Metro is no line rental and free connection. Only one thing against it is that it does not support a monitored alarm system if your home currently has one installed. Otherwise it is a much better service that what companies like Vodafone, Eircom, etc. are currently offering.

I have the Metro service here in Naas town for a few years now and I upgraded to the 30MB Express package earlier this year. My connection speeds are generally fairly close to the 28.5 - 29MB mark. Initially when it was rolled out there were issues with speeds at under 50% but it seems to be sorted now. Here are some speedtest results to demonstrate this.

2166074451.png

2152115783.png

2138720091.png

Out of curiousity is UPC available to you? If it is have you looked at them? If not then Digiweb's Metro service is the one to go with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

cunnijo wrote: »
    Hi Alan

Your Vodafone @ Home contract ends next May I presume or can you end it sooner. By that stage I expect the Digiweb Metro service to be hopefully faster than 30MB. Just a note the Metro service is a fixed wireless service incorporating a small antenna on your roof which then connects to a small modem inside the house and is not like DSL, which uses a phone line. The other benefit to Metro is no line rental and free connection. Only one thing against it is that it does not support a monitored alarm system if your home currently has one installed. Otherwise it is a much better service that what companies like Vodafone, Eircom, etc. are currently offering.

I have the Metro service here in Naas town for a few years now and I upgraded to the 30MB Express package earlier this year. My connection speeds are generally fairly close to the 28.5 - 29MB mark. Initially when it was rolled out there were issues with speeds at under 50% but it seems to be sorted now. Here are some speedtest results to demonstrate this.

2166074451.png

2152115783.png

2138720091.png

Out of curiousity is UPC available to you? If it is have you looked at them? If not then Digiweb's Metro service is the one to go with.

Wow thanks for such a good long informative reply :-)  Well I'm not the bill payer...just a nerdy teenager :P anyway...we had Eircom phone watch for years but we got rid of it couple of months ago. We've had UPC for years...since the old days of Chorus NTL but we recently moved house and its not available in our new location. We live in Graiguecullen in Carlow which is close enough to Naas, apparently you need line of site whatever that actually means....in order to get Metro. We have Vodafone 24MB the router says 7.9MB's but we get around 6 or so of that so I think we're fairly close to a mast but not sure. I presume that cancelling Vodafone would incur some sort of fee or some sort which I doubt my parents want. So long story short...thanks for the reply, no UPC for me and again many thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's available in Carlow, http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/index.aspx

Line of sight means the receiver has to 'see' the mast from where the broadband originates & is sent from.Pretty much the whole of Carlow town is covered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

zerks wrote: »
    It's available in Carlow, http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/index.aspx

Line of sight means the receiver has to 'see' the mast from where the broadband originates & is sent from.Pretty much the whole of Carlow town is covered.

From my house I can't see any tower of a sort but I always have good phone reception but thanks for the reply big help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

From my house I can't see any tower of a sort but I always have good phone reception but thanks for the reply big help :)

The signal could be sent from anywhere,it doesn't need a tower per se.Large buildings are also used.Digiweb will be able to tell you if you are good to go reception-wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

zerks wrote: »
    The signal could be sent from anywhere,it doesn't need a tower per se.Large buildings are also used.Digiweb will be able to tell you if you are good to go reception-wise.

Hi
    Digiweb's mast is located on a hill just outside Carlow Town. I spoke to a former installer who tells me the range is usually 15km before the signal starts to fade off. So it will depend on how far Graiguecullen is from Carlow town.

As for line of sight it is literally that. The radio unit that is placed on your roof must be able to theoritically see the base station. So trees or high buildings in your area will block/affect it. As Zerks mentions contact Digiweb on one of their freefone numbers and I'm sure they will be able to clarify this for you.

Advertisement