Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

As a tenant what exactly am I entitled to?

Options
  • 07-09-2012 6:39pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently renting A two bed apartment and am there for two years.

I have never met the landlord - I went through an agency and just pay the landlord via internet banking. I have always paid my rent on time.

I'm just wondering about household appliances and whatnot. Should the landlord be asking me about stuff that might need to be replaced? Some stuff in the gaff has seen better days if truth be told.
    I hear the landlord is obliged to clean windows, replace lightbulbs etc but I do all that.

In one way I'm glad I've never met him as I like my privacy but in others I'm wondering seeing as I pay him full rent without fail every month what should he be doing for me?

I'm not demanding anything I'm just wondering about my rights.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ah now, it' s a bit much to call the landlord over light bulbs :D

The landlord is there for serious issues like water leaks or scumbags damaging your door or washing machine going bust.

You are a good tenant and been there two years so if you want a new couch or something like shelves installed you can certainly ask.

You may or may not get agreement, if the couch hasn't been replaced for many years and is in bad shape then every chance you'll get a new one

Save your calls to the landlord for when there is a real problem and you cannot fix it yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I think it's standard in leases that the tenant is responsible for window cleaning. Certainly a LL is not responsible for changing light bulbs.
    If an appliance breaks, the LL must repair or replace.

You are entitled to peaceful enjoyment of your home and certain standards such as cooking facilities, ventilation, facilities for washing and drying clothes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

I would only call my landlady if something needed to be fixed ie washing machine cooker etc anything else I do myself lightbulbs the odd bit of diy. I also paint most of the house yearly as my childrens mucky chocolatey hands go beyond usual wear and tear :D . Last time I called it was because the heating wasnt working, it was years old and ended up costing her about two grand so I imagine she shall flinch if she sees my name on her phone again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

jayteecork wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm currently renting A two bed apartment and am there for two years.

I have never met the landlord - I went through an agency and just pay the landlord via internet banking. I have always paid my rent on time.

I'm just wondering about household appliances and whatnot. Should the landlord be asking me about stuff that might need to be replaced? Some stuff in the gaff has seen better days if truth be told.

The tenant should contact the landlord if any appliance breaks down/doesn't work to a sufficent standard, not the other way around.
    I hear the landlord is obliged to clean windows, replace lightbulbs etc but I do all that.

No, the landlord is not there to change your lightbulbs, clean the windows. In most house lettings, the landlord is responsible for the gardens and maintenence of the exterior of the house. Some tenants prefer to do their own garden though and the landlord supplies lawnmower etc. With an apartment the exterior/common areas should be the management companies responsibility (to which the landlord pays management fees)
    In one way I'm glad I've never met him as I like my privacy but in others I'm wondering seeing as I pay him full rent without fail every month what should he be doing for me?

Leaving you in peace to enjoy your home.
    I'm not demanding anything I'm just wondering about my rights.

Thanks

If your wondering about your rights check out citizens information.
    Note the section is Tenants rights and obligations.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tenants_rights_and_obligations.html?printpreview=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Advertisement