Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rape victim murders rapist

• 07-09-2012 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

What say you? Was she right or wrong?

I would be of the belief that nobody has the right to take anothers life but in this case the bollix deserved everything he got. It's just too bad that it is her on trial and not him.
    A pregnant rape victim has been accused of shooting and beheading her attacker before leaving his severed head in the square of the local village, according to reports.
    Nevin Yildirim, 26, is awaiting trial for the murder of Nurettin Gider, who she says raped her repeatedly at gunpoint at her home in Yalvac, southwest Turkey.
    She has also accused him of threatening to kill her family and taking photographs of her, which he used to blackmail her.
    The mother-of-two is five months pregnant and claims that the rapist is the baby's father.

Full story here:

http://news.sky.com/story/982183/rape-victim-shot-and-beheaded-attacker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Killing him was one thing but cutting his head off was a bit OTT! She thoroughly deserves to go to prison for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Hallyington

Well if she wasn't given an abortion i guess it was the best course of action. Having to raise a child whose father is a rapist would be traumatising for both of them i would imagine. Did he not get arrested before he was murdered?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

He reaped what he sowed.

The loss of life is unfortunate - but his actions lead to the mental state she was eventually in, which then brought about his own demise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

It may be wrong or whatever, but I'm not one bit sad that he's dead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Fair play to her, every rapist should face punishment like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Although I don't think it was right, I do think that any sort of scum that would do that to such a degree to another person deserved the consequences.

he raped her (sad to hear) she killed him thats fair in my book now she needs a bit of help to get her life back to normal and move on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

2 wrongs do NOT make a right.
    she totally deserves life in prison, where she will get much more of the same.

Biggins wrote: »
    He reaped what he sowed.

The loss of life is unfortunate - but his actions lead to the mental state she was eventually in, which then brought about his own demise.

Wait.. did I miss the part in the article where it says that he was convicted of any offense?

If it was Ireland, I hope she (through her solicitor) would claim temporary insanity or temporary diminished capacity due to her treatment.

I would be hard pressed to find her guilty initially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

Jesus, such a sad story! Can't imagine damage done to her husband and kids, not to mention the rapists wife and children. I really don't have an opinion as to whether she was right or wrong. This **** just depresses me.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭JamieKCCO

She shouldn't have shot him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

2 wrongs do NOT make a right.
    she totally deserves life in prison, where she will get much more of the same.

I'm not a lawyer but if I was to guess, I would say that she is going to end up in a mental health facility. Most likely em....somewhere in Turkey. She is obviously suffering from a sever case of PTSD. To cut someone's head off suggests that the person was not in a sane state of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Well done Nevin !!

Wait.. did I miss the part in the article where it says that he was convicted of any offense?

You didn't - not did I say or make out he had been.
    He reaped what he sowed.

IF he did what he is supposed to have done - he over a period of time, created and brought the woman through his actions, into a mental state where she possibly saw only one ultimate fatal recourse.

I'm not saying its right legally, her actions. I don't think many will - but IF he did what he did, he only reaped what he possibly sowed.

Thats my point.

If he DIDN'T do what he is/was accused off - she deserves to be locked up big time!

IF he did what he is supposed to have done - he over a period of time, created and brought the woman through his actions, into a mental state where she possibly say one one ultimate fatal recourse.

I'm not saying its right legally, her actions. I don't think many will - but IF he did what he did, he only reaped what he possibly sowed.

Thats my point.

yes and she now will reap what she has sowed .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

she gave him behead, im guessing he was quite surprised.

yes and she now will reap what she has sowed .......

Indeed.
    She will pay somewhat for her actions too.
    Its only right that all is held accountable for ones actions.

It just remains to be seen how she will be legally judged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The amount of victim blaming on this thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Well no, she's in the wrong too. Did she not have other options... guy deserved punishment but hasn't helped herself by killing him but understandable if she's not of sound mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

poisonated wrote: »
    I'm not a lawyer but if I was to guess, I would say that she is going to end up in a mental health facility. Most likely Dundrum or somewhere. She is obviously suffering from a sever case of PTSD. To cut someone's head off suggests that the person was not in a sane state of mind.

Dundrum? This happened in Turkey :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

IF he did what he is supposed to have done - he over a period of time, created and brought the woman through his actions, into a mental state where she possibly say one one ultimate fatal recourse.

Thats my point.

If he DIDN'T do what he is/was accused off - she deserves to be locked up big time!

Well we will probably never know now though.

So she should go to prison, can't have people running about chopping off peoples heads because they CLAIM something, I'd be far more sympathetic to her if what she claims was proven

Well no, she's in the wrong too. Did she not have other options... guy deserved punishment but hasn't helped herself by killing him but understandable if she's not of sound mind

I don't dispute your point above but remind others here that we talking about a different culture, more restricted way of life, outlook upon the treatment and legal status of women in their society, etc.

Judge the person based upon their society - not ours. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It seems to me that he was still pushing her buttons after the rape, just to add to the trauma, and in the end he paid the price. Wounding him would have been no good, so she had to make sure that he wasn't going to get up. We might think it barbaric, cutting the rapist's head off, but her Turkish rural peers might not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Dundrum? This happened in Turkey :pac:

Yes and their going to take her to Dundrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Looks like it could be self-defence too as she was allegedly assaulted repeatedly over time and shot the guy when he was climbing over to her house again. Wonder what the community knew about this, judging from her words about "honour".

Well we will probably never know now though.

So she should go to prison, can't have people running about chopping off peoples heads because they CLAIM something, I'd be far more sympathetic to her if what she claims was proven

Again, no argument.
    I hope for her sake, she can prove somehow, some justification for her actions - be it because of the rapes and a supposed (my assumption - NOT hers as yet) possible mental breakdown/temp' insanity action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

She should go to prison, what she did was not right. However, he was the author of his own demise.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

She deserves everthing she gets. Hate ignorant fools that think by saying "he got what he deserved" makes them morally superior or some ****. She's a murderer and she mutilated the body after. Thats some sick ****.
    We can't go backwards thinking it's OK to murder people because they some something wrong. Yes, he's a scumbag. Yes, she's a right to be angry, but two wrongs don't make it right.
    People taking the law in to their own hands, usually ends with innocent people dying or getting seriously injured. If we all had that mentallity we'd be all ****ed.

• Advertisement

She deserves everthing she gets. Hate ignorant fools that think by saying "he got what he deserved" makes them morally superior or some ****. She's a murderer and she mutilated the body after. Thats some sick ****.
    We can't go backwards thinking it's OK to murder people because they some something wrong. Yes, he's a scumbag. Yes, she's a right to be angry, but two wrongs don't make it right.
    People taking the law in to their own hands, usually ends with innocent people dying or getting seriously injured. If we all had that mentallity we'd be all ****ed.

I don't think many will say its just ok to murder.
    No one has here I think - open to be wrong.

We SHOULD however in assessing any punishment, also take into account how she got into such a state that she did what she did and punish accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

A man sneaking over a wall to meet a married women is more usually an affair then long term abuse.

It all started while the husband was away for work

He was never convicted and how does anyone even know what he did?

Could be just a story, a women scorned. She has issues

mikemac1 wrote: »
    A man sneaking over a wall to meet a married women is more usually an affair then long term abuse.
    It all started while the husband was away for work
    He was never convicted and how does anyone even know what he did?
    Could be just a story, a women scorned. She has issues

All possibly true - the court case should be interesting.
    Because of her actions, I'm guessing the case will be watched and reported on by the worlds media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭brimal

The Arab world (and Turkey) are centuries/decades behind when it comes to women's rights and justice for rape victims.

I'm sure the woman thought there would be no justice going to the police, so took it into her own hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Fair play to her, though she could have cut his dick too, then place it in his mouth while at it.

Anyways, it should be a good example for other rapist assholes. They might think twice now.
    She should get a medal, not sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Keep that in mind if you're ever repeatedly violated with no recourse & no justice...sometimes through desperation the human spirit simply breaks.

• Advertisement

Fair play to her, though she could have cut his dick too...

She shot him in the groin, I read on a BBC report earlier.
    Will dig the link back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,398 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

mhge wrote: »
    Looks like it could be self-defence too as she was allegedly assaulted repeatedly over time and shot the guy when he was climbing over to her house again. Wonder what the community knew about this, judging from her words about "honour".

Yes, could be seen as some type of self defense in that case so, if he was breaking in again

Can't find the BBC report yet but here is part of a CNN one:
    She said she grabbed her father-in-law's rifle that was hanging on the wall and she shot him. He tried to draw his gun and she fired again.
    "I chased him," she said. "He fell on the ground. He started cussing. I shot his sexual organ this time. He became quiet. I knew he was dead. I then cut his head off."

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/09/05/world/europe/turkey-rape-beheading/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Good for her. One less. No loss. Medal maybe? Jail? Nah.

Killing him was one thing but cutting his head off was a bit OTT! She thoroughly deserves to go to prison for it

He was already dead by that stage, what difference does that make?

if he did rape her repeatedly well, no sympathy

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    He was already dead by that stage, what difference does that make?

if he did rape her repeatedly well, no sympathy

Carrying his severed head into a crowded public square makes it a lot more than a simple case of self-defense :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

He reaped what he sowed.

He did, did he? Because as far as I can see, there was no trial, and he hadn't been found guilty of anything. But hey, who cares about stupid things like legal niceties, when killing someone, beheading them, and dumping their head in the town square is what really counts as justice these days.

EDIT: Not just directed at you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I wont say its as black or white as right and wrong but I can say with conviction that its an understanble action.

brimal wrote: »
    The Arab world (and Turkey) are centuries/decades behind when it comes to women's rights and justice for rape victims.

Some might think it ironic, in light of that statement, that abortion is legal in Turkey, yet remains illegal in Ireland.

Einhard wrote: »
    He did, did he? Because as far as I can see, there was no trial, and he hadn't been found guilty of anything. But hey, who cares about stupid things like legal niceties, when killing someone, beheading them, and dumping their head in the town square is what really counts as justice these days.

Have you bothered to read my posts after the one you re-quoted?

Looks not so!

Some might think it ironic, in light of that statement, that abortion is legal in Turkey, yet remains illegal in Ireland.

Im not pro life or pro choice but the whole point of abortion is regarding the right of a life.

Have you bothered to read my posts after the one you re-quoted?

Looks not so!

I did after I wrote the comment, and I edited it in light of that. However, your clarifications don't alter the fact that your first instinct was to condemn as guilty a man who had not yet stood trial, nor that despite the fact that this has been pointed out, others continue to do so. Even the title of the thread conspires in this.
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    Im not pro life or pro choice but the whole point of abortion is regarding the right of a life.

Hmmm cryptic. Not sure what that has to do with my point. Many people think abortion is a fundamental choice for women, and would point out that it's ironic that a country with an allegedly shoddy treatment of women would allow it, while Ireland doesn't.

I did after I wrote the comment, and I edited it in light of that. However, your clarifications don't alter the fact that your first instinct was to condemn as guilty a man who had not yet stood trial, nor that despite the fact that this has been pointed out, others continue to do so. Even the title of the thread conspires in this.

Hmmm cryptic. Not sure what that has to do with my point. Many people think abortion is a fundamental choice for women, and would point out that it's ironic that a country with an allegedly shoddy treatment of women would allow it, while Ireland doesn't.

My point regarding your point would be some think it would be anti human rights to allow abortion. I wouldnt be anti abortion.

Well I hope justice is metered out in fair and understanding way.
    Given the way sometimes justice is geared towards the males rather than the female, I would have concerns that 'fair' might not happen.

the question remains,

how will this stand up in court?:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement