Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband

Options
  • 07-09-2012 6:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭

Can eircom supply fibre optic broadband speeds to compete with virgins package?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Cryogen wrote: »
    Can eircom supply fibre optic broadband speeds to compete with virgins package?

Hi Cryogen,

We are in the process of testing our fibre based range of products (FTTH & FTTC). The networks team are also in the process of rolling the new network out in various locations across Ireland. There has been no general release yet as officially it's still in the pilot stage. You can see the proposed locations for fibre on our press office site here: Phase I & Phase II.

This is where the latest news will appear first normally so when phase III goes live or when the product goes on general release it will be put up there. You may be luck enough to be in one of the currently enabled areas, which you can check on the availability map here. We should have some more solid info on this later in the year and will post updates bith here and on our own forum. I hope this helps but if you need any more info let us know.

Regards

James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭IE2012

Hi Cryogen,

We are in the process of testing our fibre based range of products (FTTH & FTTC). The networks team are also in the process of rolling the new network out in various locations across Ireland. There has been no general release yet as officially it's still in the pilot stage. You can see the proposed locations for fibre on our press office site here: Phase I & Phase II.

This is where the latest news will appear first normally so when phase III goes live or when the product goes on general release it will be put up there. You may be luck enough to be in one of the currently enabled areas, which you can check on the availability map here. We should have some more solid info on this later in the year and will post updates bith here and on our own forum. I hope this helps but if you need any more info let us know.

Regards

James

hi Eircom,

can you tell me what towns, will get FTTH?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12 irishwolfman

Eircoms infastructure is laughable at best, this man's reply is from a salesperson. Their ability to offer speeds higher than 10 mbs is not possible in the near future at market prices whereas upc using a fibre optic network for their tv services and use them for broadband as well, they have invested heavily in them and offer 50mbs for the same price as eircoms 8. Basically eircom suck and nearly went bankrupt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Eircoms infastructure is laughable at best, this man's reply is from a salesperson. Their ability to offer speeds higher than 10 mbs is not possible in the near future at market prices whereas upc using a fibre optic network for their tv services and use them for broadband as well, they have invested heavily in them and offer 50mbs for the same price as eircoms 8. Basically eircom suck and nearly went bankrupt.

Hi irishwolfman,

The links I provided are to our press office site which gives the latest info regarding locations of fibre. This quote is directly copied from the Phase II link: "Once Phase II is completed, fibre will pass 250,000 homes and businesses within the 27 selected areas, providing speeds of 40 Mbps and beyond. The upgraded infrastructure will largely use fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) technology, but some direct fibre to the home (FTTH) will be used in certain areas. "

We are constantly carrying out upgrades to exchanges but obviously some areas are prioritised for both business and technical reasons. Once the Phase III locations are announced they will also go up on that site. I'm not sure how that came across as a sales pitch but can assure you the links are informational only.

Regards

James

• Registered Users Posts: 12 irishwolfman

Ye are still 3 years behind the competition and not even mentioning your prices but all that aside i can not foresee ye achieving your own targets as almost everything ye have promised over the previous years have been lies such as yere abillity to handle eircoms finances and the recent meteor and emobile privacy breaches. Im not taking it personally against you its just the corporate structure in eircom is ineffective and it is only a matter of time before eircom becomes insolvent and will not be bought out for the several time by an investment firm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement