Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many wraps when restringing?

• 07-09-2012 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭

So I've been restringing some guitars here, and noticed (yes.. I'm bored) that I only put one loop of string around the tuner heads, so I was going to loosen and wrap once more before I cut the excess off..
    Years ago, I used to wrap so many time you could have anchored the QE2 to the head..

And.. why do I always get wierd looks when I asked for 8's?....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Welease wrote: »
    So I've been restringing some guitars here, and noticed (yes.. I'm bored) that I only put one loop of string around the tuner heads, so I was going to loosen and wrap once more before I cut the excess off..
    Years ago, I used to wrap so many time you could have anchored the QE2 to the head..

i usually go for about 2 and a half winds on the e,a,d and then 3 or so on the others

8's are dental floss :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

8's are for wimmins, or dental floss.

It depends on what kind of tuners, if it's locking tuners I'd do maybe one wrap, but if it's normal Grovers or Fender tuners I tend to do more as I always fear that the string will slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

all tuned up, my top E might have two turns, low E usually less than a full turn.

the BEST way to wrap strings is as shown on frets.com

http://frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/SteelStrings/Stringing/ststringing2.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭zafo

Two maybe three at the most, any more and you won't have decent tuning stability as the wrapped string stretches.

Locking tuners have no or at most half a wrap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I like 2 or 3 tidy winds around the peg. It's a real pet peeve of mine when I see a poorly restrung guitar! I've met people who've played for years and they haven't a clue what they're doing with a restring!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

I use this method as well as 3 or 4 turns around the peghead (more for lighter strings) and hardly ever go out of tune or break a string. I use .11's with a wound 3rd and am quite a heavy hitter. I also rub pencil graphite into the nut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Welease wrote: »
    For me it depends on the guitar but in general I loop the string around once and then hold it in place while twisting the tuning peg pretty much the same as described in the link posted by martinedwards.
    Welease wrote:
    As others have said, 8s are a bit light and probably don't sell as much as 9s or 10s.

Advertisement