Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tony O'Donoghue

• 07-09-2012 7:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭

Did anyone see the interview after the game. Now like most Irish fans I am not happy with the current team their tactics or style of play.

However this guy is down right disrespectful when he interviews Trap and it's not the first time. I find his manner of question condescending and rude.

Id love to see him try that on a top premier league manager, he wouldn't dare

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

What did he say? Can't get RTE where I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

he's a journalist ffs, its his job to ask tough questions. Thee are enough cheerleaders in rte

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Youtube Brian Cody and Marty Morrissey :pac: I didn't see it so I can't comment on tonights interview but I overheard Trap gave up on speaking English.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Half the problem is that no one is asking the hard questions of Trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Youtube Brian Cody and Marty Morrissey :pac: I didn't see it so I can't comment on tonights interview but I overheard Trap gave up on speaking English.
    Trap should just give up!
    Fair play to ya Tony!

• Advertisement

he used to speak english???:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

We can all see the merits of posting Traps p45 and Im not against that.

Like I said I wouldn't mind if that was his thing, grill the manager after the game but it aint. He takes advantage of Trap and its pretty shameful

T-K-O wrote: »

Like I said I wouldn't mind if that was his thing, grill the manager after the game but it aint. He takes advantage of Trap and its pretty shameful

wtf are you on about? Oh and you dont think Trap takes advantage of his poor english at times? What exactly do you expect a journalist to do in this kind of situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

How dare him ask the questions that a growing majority of Irish supporters would like to hear the answers to.

wtf are you on about? Oh and you dont think Trap takes advantage of his poor english at times? What exactly do you expect a journalist to do in this kind of situation?

Consistency - anyone other time I see him interview people. It's yes sir, no sir, three bags full..

• Advertisement

Trap is the one taking advantage. He gets a €1.5m salary and can't even be bothered watching his players play club football. He then uses his lack of native English to his adcantage , avoiding questions he doesn't want to answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Did anyone see the interview after the game. Now like most Irish fans I am not happy with the current team their tactics or style of play.

However this guy is down right disrespectful when he interviews Trap and it's not the first time. I find his manner of question condescending and rude.

Will you come off it! He asked the questions that we are all on here bitching about. We all want these questions answered and not in a sanitised press release. Fair play to Tony he pressed him and he asked the tough questions.

Liam is that you? lay off the sunbeds they didnt look great in the HD man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

lol @ thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Trap is a conman putting a final nest-egg in place for his retirement. Not much we can do about it now but it'd be nice to at least let him know that we're not fooled by him anymore.

Trap is the one taking advantage. He gets a €1.5m salary and can't even be bothered watching his players play club football. He then uses his lack of native English to his adcantage , avoiding questions he doesn't want to answer.

Like I said O'Donoghue would not use that same 'technique' with any other top manager.

I dont think Traps performance or lack of comes into it. If O'Donoghue did his very best Jeremy Paxman with everyone I wouldn't have a problem

listermint wrote: »
    Will you come off it! He asked the questions that we are all on here bitching about. We all want these questions answered and not in a sanitised press release. Fair play to Tony he pressed him and he asked the tough questions.

Liam is that you? lay off the sunbeds they didnt look great in the HD man.

:D

Hell I want those answers. No Mclean, Coleman etc - Tony is acting the big shot. I cant really say anymore. You all know Im right :D but the hate for Trap ( who I am not defending for one minute) is strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

:D

Hell I want those answers. No Mclean, Coleman etc - Tony is acting the big shot. I cant really say anymore. You all know Im right :D but the hate for Trap ( who I am not defending for one minute) is strong.

And so it should be, we are being shown up here and its not that we cant field a better squad, because we can.

listermint wrote: »
    And so it should be, we are being shown up here and its not that we cant field a better squad, because we can.

We should have got rid after the Euro's but knowing the FAI he probably signed a new contact before the tournament

Regarding the OP's comments, I'd imagine the Ireland manager has to put up with RTE to a certain extent and that's why O'Donoghue can push it further.

An RTE bust-up with the Ireland manager would be bad PR and big news for Trap/FAI. By comparison I couldn't see there being any major fall-out for a prem manager in the same situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I agree with the OP. He's entitled to ask questions but his manner and demeanour were completely OTT, crass and offensive.

I was also pleased to see Giles take him to task on his comment that we should have won easily because we're ranked so many places higher than them.

• Advertisement

I agree with the OP. He's entitled to ask questions but his manner and demeanour were completely OTT, crass and offensive.

I was also pleased to see Giles take him to task on his comment that we should have won easily because we're ranked so many places higher than them.

Thank you. :D

It was the same at the Euro's but at the time I put it down to emotions running high. Obviously there is something else going on

We should have got rid after the Euro's but knowing the FAI he probably signed a new contact before the tournament

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Thank you. :D

It was the same at the Euro's but at the time I put it down to emotions running high. Obviously there is something else going on

OP, you have it in lumps:D TO'D asked the questions in the manner most of Ireland wished after a most shambolic performance by a team for which Trap was responsible. The buck stops with Trap. He's getting most of €2m a year to prepare & plan for the national team. Anyone thats miffed at TO'd's manner of questioning needs a reality check. He' perfectly entitled to have a go at Trap after our fourth dismal performance in a row.

OP, you have it in lumps:D TO'D asked the questions in the manner most of Ireland wished after a most shambolic performance by a team for which Trap was responsible. The buck stops with Trap. He's getting most of €2m a year to prepare & plan for the national team. Anyone thats miffed at TO'd's manner of questioning needs a reality check. He' perfectly entitled to have a go at Trap after our fourth dismal performance in a row.

This is not about Traps performance. It;s about TOD and the sudden growth of balls when Trap is around.

I would not have a problem if he did this all time, to all managers but TOD decides to grill Trap and only Trap. Why? Because he gets away with it.... Let him interview Alex Ferguson or Kenny Dalglish and see it he has the balls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Tonight he asked the questions I was shouting at the screen!

Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Tony just asked the questions we all want answered.

But win, lose or draw Trap spouts off the same lines. Mentality. Personality. Blah, blah.

Answer the f*cking question, Trap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

You should know he signed that contract when the draw for the Euro groups was made.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

What was the question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Mad post! I absolutely loved O' Donoghue's interview with Trappatoni. He genuinely seemed p!ssed off and asked the questions we all wanted to ask!

You call Tony O' Donoghue disrespectful. That performance tonight was disrespectful. Your attitude is all that's wrong with Ireland. Nobody is questioning anything!! That's why banks were loaning out like mad yokes!!

That interview from Tony O' Donoghue is to be applauded!

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    What was the question?

Giovanni, are you having laugh or what???

monkey9 wrote: »
    Mad post! I absolutely loved O' Donoghue's interview with Trappatoni. He genuinely seemed p!ssed off and asked the questions we all wanted to ask!

You call Tony O' Donoghue disrespectful. That performance tonight was disrespectful. Your attitude is all that's wrong with Ireland. Nobody is questioning anything!! That's why banks were loaning out like mad yokes!!

That interview from Tony O' Donoghue is to be applauded!

Give it a rest will ya... all thats wrong with Ireland. I'm doing very well thank you very much. I didn't take out any loan or mortgages that I couldn't not afford. If thats your situation, well that your problem. What are you the new Irish standing up for himself :rolleyes:

It has nothing to do with the performance. If TOD applied himself like that in all aspects of his work I would applaud him but he doesn't. It was opportunistic and he wouldn't dare do that to another manager.

Now, I'll repeat myself I am not backing Trap to stay on or fighting his corner. Looking down at person has nothing to do with football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Looking down at person has nothing to do with football.

Seriously TOD goes to a lot of matches, i have seen him at least 20 this season alone.

Not a big fan of him but he goes to matches, fairly sure he went to more than you and the thread combined this season alone.

You may not like him but he is a proper football fan who goes to his teams games and asks questions others want answered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

TOD had no problem acting Trap's best pal at awards ceremonies, and interviews when the team was doing well but as soon as the team hit a bad patch he stuck the boot in.

He acted like a hysterical Twilight fan that had just been released upon Kristen Stewart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

TOD had no problem acting Trap's best pal at awards ceremonies, and interviews when the team was doing well but as soon as the team hit a bad patch he stuck the boot in.

He acted like a hysterical Twilight fan that had just been released upon Kristen Stewart.
    Yup and the chap with less than fluent English is a soft target. Think he'd try that on a figure like Fergie or Cody? Would he f*ck.

Give it a rest will ya... all thats wrong with Ireland. I'm doing very well thank you very much. I didn't take out any loan or mortgages that I couldn't not afford. If thats your situation, well that your problem. What are you the new Irish standing up for himself :rolleyes:

It has nothing to do with the performance. If TOD applied himself like that in all aspects of his work I would applaud him but he doesn't. It was opportunistic and he wouldn't dare do that to another manager.

Now, I'll repeat myself I am not backing Trap to stay on or fighting his corner. Looking down at person has nothing to do with football.

Opportunistic?? Jesus Christ!! Look, that was a disgraceful performance. It was embarrassing. Questions need to be asked and TO'D asked them. That's his job! And he did it well.

If Trapattoni is going to be the highest paid manager we ever had that even the FAI can't afford, well then yes! I want my national tv station asking the simple question, "what the f*ck was that, Gio??? What the f*ck was that??"

But you obviously want him saying "Giovanni, not a great perforamance, but three points is what we wanted. It's looking good for Rio, isn't it Gio. Gio rhymes with Rio, doesn't it Gio? Good omen? "

• Advertisement

The team is doing well? No problems from Tony! Team doing sh!te. Questions asked! I fail to see the problem here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fair play to O'Donoghue, good to see someone from RTE with a set of bollox for a change and asking the questions we all want answered.

Himself and Sadlier did super.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I agree with the OP.

I was happy that Tony was asking the questions that I wanted asked. But I really didn't like the way he interrupted Trap with a new question during every single one of Trap's answers. Tony was just being rude, not journalistic. It didn't add anything to the interview.
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    Seriously TOD goes to a lot of matches, i have seen him at least 20 this season alone.

Not a big fan of him but he goes to matches, fairly sure he went to more than you and the thread combined this season alone.

You may not like him but he is a proper football fan who goes to his teams games and asks questions others want answered.

I don't think he was saying that Tony doesn't have anything to do with football.

Tony talks to Trap all the time. He is well aware of his waffle.

Genuinely, after seeing that performance, i was so heartened to see Tony O' Donoghue put it up to Trap. He wan't going to let him get away with mistranslation, he got stuck in there!!

He is entitled to ask the hard questions but a bit of professionalism wouldn't go astray.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He is entitled to ask the hard questions but a bit of professionalism wouldn't go astray.

TO'D did show professionalism! What we have here is Skyism!.

Seriously, can somebody explain what T'OD should have asked him!??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

I wonder would there have been an interview at all if we didn't get out of jail with 2 last minute goals. Ireland got out of jail and Trap came on thinking there'll be one or two hard questions but sure we won so everything is hunky dory. O'Donoghue to be fair to him put it up to him. The performance was unacceptable.

His best question was did Trap consider his position after Euro '12, the look on Trap's face said it all. He understood the question fine well, he just wasn't expecting it.

I reckon Trap should have left after the Euro's in Poland, I'm guessing 90% of Irish fans would agree with that. At the end of the day, Trap will stay for his money, which is understandable and the done thing, but he can't expect an easy time of it if Ireland's performance dip while he's waiting to be paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Not sure if posted already

I'm hoping we'll get at least one "buidéal folamh" style meltdown out of him before he ships off. I'd feel we didn't get our moneys worth otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Fair play to Tony i say, asking the tough questions when they need to be asked. Compare that to English commentators either for the premiership or national team. Win,lose or draw and the interviewer after the match has his/her tongue so far up the manager's hole you'd need subtitles to make out the questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

markesmith wrote: »

Read the thread before seeing this. Complete over reaction from the OP. Was he supposed to congratulate him on a great performance and result?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

It was an interesting interview.

Can you imagine a similar interview with Fergie though? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Pj! wrote: »

Can you imagine a similar performance from a Fergie team in a massive game against a conference side?

I could from an irate Manchester United fan. I think a more apt comparison is could you imagine Roy Hodgson getting similar treatment by Sky Sports if England had put in a similiarly inept display.

Thats my point or Mick McCarthy. He'd probably get a slap. It's not the questions I have problem with its how he delivers them. Like I said I want those questions answer just as much as you guys.

I am not doubting TOD is a huge fan or the fact that he attends a lot of games but IMO TOD was opportunistic in that is was Trap and not another manager.

Ill say it again if he did this week in week out to all managers TOD would be a cult hero but only Trap gets the treatment, why?

And don't get me started on Sadlier and his wisdom :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement