Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which "wing" am I on?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Mr. Rager wrote: »

You're a bit too far right of the left lib for my liking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

You are a chicken wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I'm a wee bit of a lefty. Just slightly like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I'm libertarian.

I believe in equal rights for minorities, including marriage equality and I'm pro-choice. At the same time, I'm a free-market capitalist and/or libertarian anarchist. I believe in the deregulation of the banking sector, lowering tax on all fronts and removing a vast amount, if not all, social welfare and just the general removal of pointless parasitic red tape in the law.

A libertarian, on the internet? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Basically just your commoner garden hippynazi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

mix and match mr friend

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Wade in the Sea

First off well done for the question.  

The fact that your views are contradictory, in mainstream thinking, of what is left or right wing, suggests you are free thinking, and based on the subjects you selected, essentially a libertarian, and thus Right Wing. 

To explain:

For left wing think universal.  Common belief.  Everybody agreeing on a principal or principals, doctrine, law, adherence to issues held by the majority,  common good, codes of behaviour etc.  

A lot has been done since the term evolved in the 18th century, principally on the left, to muddy the waters between what is left and right, to make left wing thinking, as defined, the only acceptable position,which is at the core of the belief, E.g. Contrary to popular acceptance fascism is not an extreme right wing position but extreme left wing principals hijacked by right wing thinking individuals.  Jingoism or patriotism is often used by the few to get the masses to act in their interests.  But that doesn't make it right wing because the first step of a right wing environment would be to allow for free thinking, where self reliance is king.    One of the most right wing countries in the world, The United States, abhors fascism in principal.  But as with all right wing thinkers they don't care if it is in the interests of the universal, so long as its in the interests of the US.  They've even supported fascist states historically to support their own interests and continue to do so today.

Ironically the great political villains of the 20th century were all left wing, e.g. Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mugabe, started out on the left, ended up on the right, demanding equality and obedience among the masses (though some being more equal than others) either on the basis of race, intellect, or pre revolutionary social standing. The least tolerant people are the masses when a universal view is held.  25 years ago in Ireland it was illegal to be homosexual.  Today it is antisocial to be against the principal of that lifestyle participating in all forms of society.   Left wing thinkers will call this social evolution but actually its conformism,  if you don't challenge it.

There are of course examples of great men of the left, who did not take advantage of the weak once they achieved power; Gandhi, Nelson Mandella, Castro, and Hugo Chavez who uses the national wealth of Venezuela to better its people en mass.  

The right however are far from the paragons of humanity.     Being right wing means holding your own view and acting for your own betterment  and even to the point of being contradictory to a universal good and inhibiting your fellow man.  Capitalists, industrialists, those that determine their own passage through this life, those who feel entitled through intellect, ability or even birth right, to command others are right wing. 

Then again in an odd twist the greatest philanthropists are without exception major capitalists, e.g. Bill Gates, who does more to combat poverty and the disadvantaged directly through his own charities than any country in the world.  

Ultimately those that describe themselves as left wing are conformists.  Those describing themselves as right wing don't care what you think! 

Take your pick :-) 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

When I did it, it said I was in the same category as the Dalai Lama. When my husband did it with the answers he thought I'd give, it put me somewhere with Bill Clinton and Robert Mugabe, go figure.:confused: Then again he likes to wind me up by calling me Maggie Thatcher.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I'm economically left and socially liberal. I believe in social protection, the redistribution of wealth, high taxing of the wealthy and high public spending. Also, I'm pro-choice, in favour of the legalisation of gay marriage, in favour of the legalisation of marajuana and against the death penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

1ZRed wrote: »
    This is what I am.

Now if only I understood what it meant.

According to that test i'm quite similar to gandhi :cool:.
    http://www.politicalcompass.org/printablegraph?ec=-7.12&soc=-1.74

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Left wing Libertarian but where I am on the graph just kind of near the middle lines weird!! But you can say I am a Gandhi or the Dalai Lama lol!

Economic Left/right -0.88
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -2.05

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I would have thought I was more right economically, but I'm actually pretty left on both axes:

http://www.politicalcompass.org/facebook/pcgraphpng.php?ec=-4.88&soc=-5.79

Economic Left/Right: -4.88
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I've never seen that test before, it's gas. Turns out I'm possibly a much nicer person than I realised.

I must go look up this 'libertarian' thing.

Economic Left/Right: -6.12
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.05

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I would say that you are more right wing, but Trappatoni would still play you on the left..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

A libertarian, on the internet? :eek:

You can't say you're a libertarian in public and that you want to cut all social welfare. So unfortunately the only real place you can express such views is through the anonymity of the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Left/right 8.50
    Libertarian/authoritarian 4.77

So somewhere between obamma and merkel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    Confused seventeen year old here. I don't know a whole load about politics, and I wanna know what "wing" am I on.

My beliefs and opinions:
    • Abortion should be legal
    • Death penalty should be implemented
    • I'm the type of person who says "fair play" when a victim gets revenge
    • No problem with people of a different sexual orientation getting married
    • Marijuana should be legalised

I also believe that many of these beliefs may have only solidified in my head since I joined boards, which is a...good thing? :pac:

Also, which political wing are you on?

Abortion should be legal left wing/liberal tendency
    Death penalty right wing/conservative tendency
    I'm the type of person who says "fair play" when a victim gets revenge right wing/conservative neo con/hawk
    No problem with people of a different sexual orientation getting married left wing/liberal tendency
    Marijauna should be legalised left wing/liberal
    You have no firm roots on either side of the liberal/conservative spectrum and simply evaluate each issue on it's merits.In the US definite opinions re a vast range of issues identifies one as a left wing/right wing individual...abortion,gay marriage,gun control,free market etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Economic Left/Right: -6.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.64
    Wow pretty amazed,always considered myself far more a conservative,right wing capitalist.As others have mentioned possibly a bit nicer a person than I thought!!:D

Advertisement