Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A question for my first big bike

• 07-09-2012 7:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭

Hey everybody. I'm getting a new bike and it'll be my first one above 125cc. I've previously driven a varadero XLV 125. It's a choice between the Suzuki SV650S or a Bandit 600S that's been off the road for 9 years that needs alot of work.

The SV has 23k kilomentres and is in perfect condition by the looks of the pics. Lots of extras too. Heated grips, blue flame exhaust and some more. I will need to get it restricted. Is that going to be an issue or will it be easy enough to get done?

Bandit is in perfect cosmetic condition anyway. It has been up for 9 years. 3 years covered in the back garden and 6 years garaged. Was turned on 2 years ago and ran fine. Not turning on now but I'm willing to put the money into it if it will be fine afterwards.

The bandit after all repairs etc is going to set me back about E1600. The SV is about E2400 I'd say. I think I'd prefer the SV but I'm concerned about the riding position as I've never rode a bike similar. I'll be using it to commute to Dublin city everyday from Lucan and the odd road trip aswell. Nothing majorly long just the mountains and stuff like that.

So what's your opinion on the 2 bikes?
    What's the riding position like on the SV for a daily commute and the odd mountain trip?
    Will getting the SV650S restricted be an issue and roughly how much would it cost?

Thanks for the helping hand :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

Sounds like your more swayed towards the SV, probably a better choice as the V-Twin engine will take better to the restriction than the Bandit due to having its power band lower in the rev range, also theres a lovely sound off them twins!:cool:

Used to have a Bandit 6 myself, was a grand bike for doing a bit of everything, but was sorry I didnt go for an SV at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Sounds like your more swayed towards the SV, probably a better choice as the V-Twin engine will take better to the restriction than the Bandit due to having its power band lower in the rev range, also theres a lovely sound off them twins!/QUOTE]

Agree, the SV would be a better choice for a restriction. I've ridden a restricted Bandit, felt awful as it had no top end stomp at all compared to the full power model I had. V-Twin SV should take a restriction better, still plenty of torque.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I absolutely LOVED my SVs (had two of them). they kick the **** out of a Bandit any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

It'll take you a while to get used to the riding position of the SV but you will get used to it. Plenty of people using them as every day commuters. If you want one just get one, you can always sell it if you decide you don't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

SV rider here also. What model SV is it? The riding position is fine once you're used to it. I was in bits after riding it for the first two weeks though, now I can do spins for a couple of hours and don't have any complaints. For €2400 I assume it's a pointy model, restriction will be about €250 if you get an FI kit but you should try source a restricted ECU from some of the SV forums on-line, should get it for €50 no problem and it's only a matter of disconnecting the battery and swapping the ECU over. Restriction via ECU is way better than restriction via throttle stop and washers. I've never ridden a bandit so can't compare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

My first bike was a restricted bandit and then i moved to a restricted sv.

I agree with what was said above. The bandit with a restriction is horrible to drive. Once you are doing about 80 - 100 there is absolutely no pulling power left in it!

Im driving a sv at the moment and absolutely love it! The riding position is grand, although i do need to get bar risers on it at some stage as i have short arms and i cant actually look forward without bending my next back. It gets pretty soar after a while.

Of the two bikes i would defo go for the sv!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

The exhaust on mine used to set off car alarms :D

100_0067.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I ended up getting the SV alright. Won't be getting it till Wednesday though. Most likely Wednesday anyway. Pretty happy with it. Need to get VRT sorted and get it restricted. Won't be able to drive it till a week after I have it :-(

Nice loooking bike KamiKazi. Mine is actually the pointy version. Has a blue flame exhaust. Sounds beautiful!

Advertisement