Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cage for letter box

• 07-09-2012 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭

My dog detests anybody putting post in the letterbox. He sounds completely vicious although if anybody actually walked in the door he would probably lick them to death.
    The letterbox is on the bottom of the door, and the cages that I see on the web do not seem to suit as they allow the mail to drop into the bottom of the cage. The letterbox is barely above floor level. (was there when we moved in! ) I am afraid that he will nip the postman's fingers or anybody else's that dares to invade his territory. Do anybody have any solutions? A homemade solution would be fine. I just can't think of one. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The ideal solution would be to teach him the leave it command but this will take some time. In the meantime I can share the blueprints of the highly sophisticated force field system we put in place to prevent our dog shredding/holding the post to ransom ... an opened umbrella! ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Have you thought about putting up an external post box? We sealed our letter box and put a post box on the wall beside the door. No more problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Had the same problem. Dog going for postman when he was putting letters through the letter box.

Even thought we live in a housing estate, dog can hear him coming from miles away !!!.

Decided to take action - before the postman would loose fingers.

Watched for the dog looking at the door in the morning with ears up, sitting back ready to jump. Would start saying "leave it" repeatedly. This distracted her when post being put through the letter box. Problem now gone.

Also, at the start, put her on a lead and opened the door as the post man arrives at the door. this was to let them meet each other.

Now she doesn't attack the door.

However, smart dog that she is, she barks if a substitude is doing the rounds - even if she doesn't visually see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭teileann

Thanks very much for all the advice.
    I plan to try the open umberalla method on Monday.
    Lucky I am not supersticious!

I will introduce him to the postman also, and if all fails will get an outside letterbox.

Several cars were broken into on our road a few weeks ago, a couple of them only 2 doors away from me.

Patch is worth is weight in gold as even if a cat crosses the front garden during the night, he lets us know about it. Probably saved us from being robbed that night.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 30 drongal

teileann wrote: »
    My dog detests anybody putting post in the letterbox. He sounds completely vicious although if anybody actually walked in the door he would probably lick them to death.
    The letterbox is on the bottom of the door, and the cages that I see on the web do not seem to suit as they allow the mail to drop into the bottom of the cage. The letterbox is barely above floor level. (was there when we moved in! ) I am afraid that he will nip the postman's fingers or anybody else's that dares to invade his territory. Do anybody have any solutions? A homemade solution would be fine. I just can't think of one. Thanks.

Hi
    Couple months ago i got something like this from argos:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6237451/Trail/searchtext%3ELETTER+CAGE.htm

But i never needed to use it:-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement