Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010... OH MY!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Amerika wrote: »
    I would like them to offer food the kids would be willing to eat, and always have a healthy meal choice for every lunch. Do you really think the kids won't be filling up on unhealthy snacks once they get home after school, which are even worse than what they had been served in school before this overreach of the federal government?
    So your argument basically assumes that kids and parents don't already take an active role in eating good, nutritiously balanced food.

I don't disagree, but your argument seems to be the government need not bother because the parents aren't actively engaged.

Frankly, I agree that parents need to be actively engaged. But as long as the school is in the operation of providing food to children, it has a duty of care to make sure it's not complete crap: that includes watterlogged broccoli as much as it does junk food.

And since most kids aren't allowed off campus (unlike in Europe) they don't really get the choice. In Ennis there were any of 5 establishments within easy walking distance, with plenty more a little farther afield if you didn't mind hiking it. If I didn't have the choice to leave campus I'd be resigned to whatever cafeteria or vending machine the school makes available.

But like I've said, the schools need to actually do a much better job of explaining health to children through curriculum, not just locking them in a room full of overcooked vegetables and hoping they get the picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Well from most of the arguments here, it seems you believe that we do "belong to the government." Perhaps the next step for the government to take for those kids who would rather go hungry than eat the federally mandated healthy meal, is to haul them off and force feed them into compliance… in the name of public health of course.

If find it ironic that the same people who favor this heavy handed government policy also rail against photo ID laws needed to vote. They are disenfranchising my kids, who eat rather healthy, are physically fit, and have ideal BMI’s, with this policy by the way. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well from most of the arguments here, it seems you believe that we do "belong to the government."
    that would be a false assumption

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

In terms of the election this is a non-issue and anyone who thinks this might turn things even slightly in Romney's favor is desperately clutching at straws. The three sights you listed are all small right wing media outlets, this will not effect the election.
    But parents are now being forced to prepare school lunches for their kids, and not happy with the Obamas' over it.

So you were perfectly happy to rely on the gov't to feed your kids when they were providing fat and sugar laden junk food but now you're mad at the Obamas because the government is finally taking some responsibility and trying to provide kids with decent lunches as a way to tackle the massive obesity problem in the country and to try and get kids into healthy eating habits. If the food is inedible thats not obama's fault it's the canteen staffs fault because they clearly have no idea how to cook with fresh ingredients.

You see it as a governemnt intrusion on your freedom when in reality all they have done is the change the menus. Your argument makes no sense I'm afraid! :(

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Amerika seeing how opposed you are to rising medical costs, I thought you would support this?

MadYaker wrote: »
    In terms of the election this is a non-issue and anyone who thinks this might turn things even slightly in Romney's favor is desperately clutching at straws. The three sights you listed are all small right wing media outlets, this will not effect the election.

I know of a few "undecided" voters who now have decided on Romney becasue of this overreach . But I'm sure it is only an isolated occurance... perhaps.
    So you were perfectly happy to rely on the gov't to feed your kids when they were providing fat and sugar laden junk food but now you're mad at the Obamas because the government is finally taking some responsibility and trying to provide kids with decent lunches as a way to tackle the massive obesity problem in the country and to try and get kids into healthy eating habits. If the food is inedible thats not obama's fault it's the canteen staffs fault because they clearly have no idea how to cook with fresh ingredients.

You see it as a governemnt intrusion on your freedom when in reality all they have done is the change the menus. Your argument makes no sense I'm afraid! :(

I've addressed this already as to why I oppose it. My answer remains the same.

Advertisement