Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recording landlord during inspection

• 07-09-2012 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Can a person record a landlord during an inspection of the property without their consent? I am wondering cause I know in some American states it is frowned upon but America is very OH HO HO about privacy?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

Except in exceptional circumstances a landlord is not entitled to inspect a property without the consent of the tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

T be honest I would think it would depend on a few things. Your rental agreement, the purpose of the inspection, the purpose of the recording, how much you are trying to piss him off etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Landlord has to make an appointment to inspect.

Recording any meeting without consent of those involved is at minimum bad form.

A court might be reluctant to accept the recording as evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

Going on the laws private investigators follow:

You can record if it is in a public place.

You cannot record sound.

I'd bet all the money in my pockets that no court will accept a recording, without the landlord's knowledge, of the inspection, as evidence.

Leases and statute permit the landlord to inspect the property periodically.

If you worried about proof that you did not damage anything during an end of lease inspection, draw up a statement that says such and that your deposit will be returned and get the LL to sign it. It's not bullet proof, but it's better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AA92

Well I handed the keys over but I recorded the landlord on their final investigation to go over any wear and tear. Would the PRTB accept evidence that I recorded of the landlord during this investigation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Evidence of what?

That the landlord is being aggressive, not co operating or making up ridiculous reasons to keep a portion of the deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Jesus people really complicate things.

Photos and a written report when you go in. Photos when you go out. No need for any Sherlock Holmes business then.

Perhaps you could give a little more info OP keeping it hypothetical of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I would guess that showing them the recording wouldn't get you into trouble but that them accepting it would be another matter. Hopefully someone can back that up legally.

I have tried doing some research but am only finding stuff from America. Basically, if a tenant wants to record the landlord after they hand over the keys, is it permissible?

Fort example, the tenant has damaged carpets with burns and damage to the wall but denies the damage and the landlords do not realise the damage. However the landlords instead state that they are retaining a portion of the deposit until they conduct a full investigation because the tenant wanted to leave after a brief investigation. Also, the tenant refused to give forwarding address but demanded the full deposit and recorded the landlords being unreasonable.

Now they have found the damage and have retained a portion of the deposit, but returned the rest of it. Can the tenant go to the PRTB with this case because they are unable to prove the tenant did the damage, even if they have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Okay so hypothetically tenant A has damaged the property and want to make the landlord's life difficult and get his deposit back before the Landlord cops it and keeps the deposit. A wants to film the landlord not realising there is damage during the inspection? The flaw would be that the landlord could still peruse A for the damage to the property.

Advertisement