Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Marine tank info

Options
  • 07-09-2012 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

I have a spare 95L square tank which I am about to do my first marine set up.
    I have plenty of coral sand and rock but I know the rock is dead and would take ages before it is any good so going to buy new rock.

I need to know what I need... I have 2 external filters and from what I have read, externals are only used if the sponges are taken out because they attract nitrates, so I could use crushed coral rock in the filter instead of the sponges?

Also, I have just cleaned it out and was going to buy the water and 2 power heads tomorrow. But can I get away without a protein skimmer, it being such a small tank?

What else will I need?

I was going to buy the water and power heads tomorrow, run it for a week or so and then add a few KG per week of live rock and when fully cycled add a few small fish.

Is this correct?

This is my first marine tank so I haven't a rashers.

Cheers

Advertisement