Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Store policy on display

Options
  • 07-09-2012 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question,

I was in Dunnes earlier today to purchase a bottle of wine, I went to the counter, was asked for ID, showed my driving license, which due to store policy isn't a valid form of ID, ok I have heard of this before with store policy etc.

I asked for the manager and asked him could I see their policy where it states it isn't a valid form of ID. They didn't have their policy on them and told me to look online, I looked on their site and cant find their policy that states a driving license isn't a valid form of ID, or that they only accept gardai age card or passport(it might be there, but I couldn't find it when I searched).

I am 23 years old, and I don't want to carry around my passport every time I get a urge to have a bottle of wine at night.

I am just wondering, what is the law regarding displaying store policy. etc.

I ended up getting the bottle of wine, but it just caused too much hassle and on top of that it was with around 50 euro worth of groceries as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭rameire

under law they have the right to refuse service.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Columc wrote: »
    I am just wondering, what is the law regarding displaying store policy. etc.
    There is none, however under law if you turned out to be under 18 and the shop was prosecuted the only acceptable form of defence is for the shop is that you provided a Garda Age Card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Shops don't have to have any policies on display. Its very simple - you walk in there are invitations to treat all around the place (known as price tags) which gives you in indication what you will have to offer to make the goods yours. The shop keeper can accept or decline this offer.

After that its down to the SOGASOS Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

It is an invitation to treat, shops give you an invitation to buy goods, they can refuse, the same way you can refuse to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

There is none, however under law if you turned out to be under 18 and the shop was prosecuted the only acceptable form of defence is for the shop is that you provided a Garda Age Card.

What brought this in to law?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Zab wrote: »
    What brought this in to law?

Thanks.

The fact that the only thing shops should be accepting is a garda age card if they are looking to provide themselves with any defense what so ever. Anything else they accept is a courtesy, and a big one at that.

The fact that the only thing shops should be accepting is a garda age card if they are looking to provide themselves with any defense what so ever. Anything else they accept is a courtesy, and a big one at that.

Okay, but I'm asking specifically where that became law?

Zab wrote: »
    Okay, but I'm asking specifically where that became law?

Sorry about that Zab! I thought you were asking what brought this thread into the realms of law.

Full discussion here.

TL;DR its s. 14(1)(b) of the Intoxicating Liquor Act 2000, (No. 17/2000)

Cheers Procrasta

Advertisement