Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dress for wedding - needs to be wow!

• 07-09-2012 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I'm 27 and attending a wedding with my boyfriend and most of his family will be there. I want to look WOW basically. I'm 5'3 and 12 1/2 stone so not that easy to make me look wow I think. Most problematic area is my tummy/hips, and I don't want to swear skyscraper heels as I twisted my ankle a while ago & have gotten rid of my high high heels. Any ideas? [Dresses with zips can be very unforgiving to me, unless I went up a size? But I'm in the process of losing some weight so hoping not to spend TOO much on a dress I may never wear again].

Thanks in advance, I've never attended a wedding as an adult before!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Something like the body panel dress may work, I'm not sure of the proper name for these. Kate winslet wore one a while back

Asos Panel Dress

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Sabrielle

My advice would be to go to boutiques and try on loads of dresses. If a sales assistant suggests something try it on but don't be pushed into anything. You will know yourself when you find something that looks wow on. I would stay away from chain places like Monsoon, Coast etc. as there would be a chance someone else might have something similar. Get your hair and makeup done that morning and you'll feel great for the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

When is the wedding? Get some really good shaping underwear! + there are lots of lovely flats in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭FairCity12

kerash wrote: »
    When is the wedding? Get some really good shaping underwear! + there are lots of lovely flats in the shops.

Its on in 3 weeks.

Thanks girls for the suggestions. Must look up body panel dresses!

Any other ideas? What about a full length?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

I feel your pain however agree that you should invest in spanx. Brown Thomas have them and you do get used to wearing them. Just make sure they are the right size.
    I have been to SO many wedding in the last 3 years and 99% of my dresses are coast and I have never met someone with the same dress as me. So I would recommend Coast (Kildare village!), house of Fraser, Monsoon.
    Bought a fab black dress in coast Kildare village last year for 50 euro and got heaps of compliments. Good luck.

• Advertisement

Blingy wrote: »
    I feel your pain however agree that you should invest in spanx. Brown Thomas have them and you do get used to wearing them. Just make sure they are the right size.
    I have been to SO many wedding in the last 3 years and 99% of my dresses are coast and I have never met someone with the same dress as me. So I would recommend Coast (Kildare village!), house of Fraser, Monsoon.
    Bought a fab black dress in coast Kildare village last year for 50 euro and got heaps of compliments. Good luck.

Thank you, I've never worn a Coast dress. Are their sizes 'small'? I need to look wow. Must start searching. I've just started a new job so trying to get settled - will have to wait until next weekend to search i think as I won't have opportunity today. Paying a visit to Kildare Village isn't really an option - too far away to risk driving and not getting anything. Will see. Are spanx about €50??? :/

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I wouldn't wear a long dress to a wedding. I'm about your size, and I bought a few dresses a while back on ebay (very handy as most shops list their sizes with measurements for hips, waist and bust). Worth looking into?

The one you posted is lovely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

If you can't afford real Spanx try the ones from Penneys, they go right up to your bra and they do the job.
    I'd second the ebay suggestion, loads of beautiful dresses at bargain prices. Coast do have some lovely stand out dresses and if you went to the shop and tried a few on you'd know what size to look for on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Sabrielle

Would you wear a 50's style dress. The Vivien Of Holloway ones are awesome
    www.vivienofholloway.com
    You wouldn't have to wear shapewear because they have boned bodices and they flare out. There are petticoats on the site to make the skirt really full

• Advertisement

I went on a spur of the moment visit into town into Born today and bought this

http://www.little-mistress.co.uk/product.php?id_product=623

I think it's very pretty & girlie, what ye think? Thanks for all the help!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Beautiful dress. Love the colours. Well wear!! Relax and enjOy the wedding a smile can transform a person. You looking relaxed and comfy with a smile on your face and you'll be wow. Don't worry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

FairCity12 wrote: »
    Thank you, I've never worn a Coast dress. Are their sizes 'small'? I need to look wow. Must start searching. I've just started a new job so trying to get settled - will have to wait until next weekend to search i think as I won't have opportunity today. Paying a visit to Kildare Village isn't really an option - too far away to risk driving and not getting anything. Will see. Are spanx about €50??? :/
    You can get a bus from wedtmoreland street in Dublin to Kildare village for a fiver- if that helps. Although I found Kildare village expensive

Found a dress for wedding #2, what colour would I put with this? Don't want to really opt for cream again as dress #1 is navy & cream, or does it matter? Anyone see any nice fascinators/bags that would be suitable?

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/navy-corsage-one-shoulder-dress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

If you can't afford real Spanx try the ones from Penneys, they go right up to your bra and they do the job.

Bought these last week and they were too long and wouldn't fit the tops of my thighs - very upsetting experience!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I'm 5"4 tall and 12 stone 10..... Find something comfortable- believe me I get the most compliments and have the best nights when I'm smiling and laughing, not messing about pulling up spanx all night. Sometimes I think they're too obvious and cause more hassle than good. Try taking a photo / pr an honest pal with and without the spanx to see of they're worth the hassle. Chin up- a happy face will be wow ( sorry of I sound corny there but works for me and we aren't far off the same size)

Advertisement