Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the story with the Medical Center?

Options
  • 07-09-2012 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

So since the story about them not being free anymore has it all been cleared up?

I need to go next week or sometime soon and was wondering, have they started charging? How much would it be to see a nurse? (If they are charging)

and when is it open again? :)

All help will be super appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Another anonymous poster

Aragneer wrote: »
    So since the story about them not being free anymore has it all been cleared up?

I need to go next week or sometime soon and was wondering, have they started charging? How much would it be to see a nurse? (If they are charging)

and when is it open again? :)

All help will be super appreciated. Thanks!

http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Student_Affairs/Student_Supports/Student_Health_Centre/

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stephen_Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

The Medical Centre is located in the C block level M. It is open Monday to Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. To make an appointment you can call into the reception or call the centre, whose number is online and in the start pack you got today. On staff there are doctors, nurses, a physiotherapist, and a psychiatrist. The center provides services like any GP you will find. The cost of the services range from €10 for basic services like the nurse and blood work to €30 for the physiotherapist and the STI clinic. The centre also has an after-hours services. When you call the centre out the opening time a voice-mail will play the on call doctor number to you. Does anybody have an Questions?
    Spend four days outside the centre telling all the new student this speech and as I type this I'm in my yellow T-shirt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Thanks guys :)

Ha Jester, I'm not a new student, I knew where it was and stuff just not when it opens or the new prices :D Thanks for letting me know though, I'm sure you'll be steering clear of the med center now if you can help it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Really disappointed that a service like STI screening would not be free to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 NiaBlack

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Really disappointed that a service like STI screening would not be free to all.

Also the Contraceptive Advice Clinic is €20 which, to me, seems a bit steep if you aren't entirely sure of which type to use or if you need a prescription... If the nurse is €10 then surely she could give advice about contraception too??

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭kflynn

Someone has to sort the service Niall gives now that he's charging. At least look into it.

Fair enough if they have to charge, but the counselling service should be free or pay if you can or at a later date or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

kflynn wrote: »
    Someone has to sort the service Niall gives now that he's charging. At least look into it.

Fair enough if they have to charge, but the counselling service should be free or pay if you can or at a later date or anything like that.

The student counselling centre is still free- but to see a psychiatrist at the medical centre its 25 quid.

Personally I think charging for contraceptive advice is somewhat wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭kflynn

The student counselling centre is still free- but to see a psychiatrist at the medical centre its 25 quid.

Oh that's brilliant! Probably need to make that a bit clearer to people. Yes that would be my second issue with it but at least there are ways around that somewhat. I remember hearing the waiting list was a month or two for that service anyway. Not that is it ok but you can get advice from a chemist or on line if you can't afford it. I don't think they prescribed anything anyway so you'd have to pay for a GP in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Not just that - it's kind of backwards. I can see a lot of people taking more risks and shaking off possible symptoms merely because it would cost them to check something that may or may not be there. Really think they should at least make sexual health advice and screening free. University students are higher risk, it makes sense to prioritise that surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Not just that - it's kind of backwards. I can see a lot of people taking more risks and shaking off possible symptoms merely because it would cost them to check something that may or may not be there. Really think they should at least make sexual health advice and screening free. University students are higher risk, it makes sense to prioritise that surely.

I agree but full STI check costs a lot because they have to run test for all STI not just what you think you have

• Registered Users Posts: 37 NiaBlack

Jester252 wrote: »
    I agree but full STI check costs a lot because they have to run test for all STI not just what you think you have

There'd be less need for STI checks if we didn't have to pay €20 just to get accurate advice about how to avoid STIs in the first place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

I think the prices are quite shocking but I do understand where they are coming from as everything is quite expensive...

I'm having trouble breathing, don't have a medical card and don't have any money for the student health center... Kinda screwed :L but hopefully when i get there I won't have to pay so much, maybe just a nurse's fee..

Advertisement