Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Irish Indo editor

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

how would you improve it?

Draw moustaches on the faces of the people in the pictures & farts coming out of their bums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Sindo is pretty crap, but I really don't get peoples' hatred of the Indo. The IT is better, but the Indo isn't too bad at all. My theory is that it's just another form of snobbery- now we have media snobbery to go along with music snobbery and all the rest. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Dont have an opinion at all :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

No decent Irish newspaper left,and hasn't been for at least a decade.It's a dying format too,good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Footy101

Shocking appointment.. The Herald?!! 'cause that's a good read. :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I want to know how he enditor her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Einhard wrote: »
    Sindo is pretty crap, but I really don't get peoples' hatred of the Indo. The IT is better, but the Indo isn't too bad at all. My theory is that it's just another form of snobbery- now we have media snobbery to go along with music snobbery and all the rest. Happy days.

My theory is that some Westlife fan invented the term "musical snobbery" in order to get back at people who don't like Westlife. It then became "uncool" to slag off Westlife as you were now seen as a "musical snob".

These days you can't just say that Westlife are shite and that you'd need a frontal lobotomy to listen to a full album of theirs even though it's quite obviously true.

I'm not sure if the same thing applies to The Independent though as I've never read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

He was pretty good in The Crying Game, in fairness.

My theory is that some Westlife fan invented the term "musical snobbery" in order to get back at people who don't like Westlife. It then became "uncool" to slag off Westlife as you were now seen as a "musical snob".

These days you can't just say that Westlife are shite and that you'd need a frontal lobotomy to listen to a full album of theirs even though it's quite obviously true.

I'm not sure if the same thing applies to The Independent though as I've never read it.

Yeah, there's some truth in what you say, but when I talk about musical snobbery I'm talking about the kind of person who not only can't fathom that other people might have different musical tastes, but can't stop expressing his bewilderment at, and contempt of, those tastes.

As for the Indo, it used to be the paper I'd buy. Then I got to reading the IT one day and saw that its international coverage was far better, and that its content somewhat more serious than the Indo, so i switched to the Times. I think the Times is better, but I don't think the Indo is the rag that some people portray, and I honestly can't see the reasons behind that attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Ask a public servant? They have been lying and spinning and smearing them for 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

In other news, I just farted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

Good music has always been there. It's just the likes of Westlife just ruined its reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Don't buy papers myself but used to like the Sindo GAA coverage (would get to read it when visiting the auld pair) but even that's gone to crap. Was good for a laugh with Alison o Riodran and Gavin Lambe Murphy back in the day though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Agreed. The Indo isn't that bad at all. Good supplements too, but, on boards.ie it's fashionable not to like the paper... and, there's a lot of sheep here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Agreed. The Indo isn't that bad at all. Good supplements too, but, on boards.ie it's fashionable not to like the paper... and, there's a lot of sheep here.

To be fair, the Independent has done some good investigative reporting and still does sometimes - whereas the Sunday Indo, to me thats just regurgitated, celeb (who the fcuk are they again half the time?) rubbish. Too often stuffed with filler for the brain dead.
    ...And don't get me started on the quality of some of the Sunday Indo' articles themselves in the way that they are wrote. A ten year old would compose a paragraph better I think!

No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

John_Rambo wrote: »

The Indo have been veering towards the tabloid end of things for a long time now. Too many opinion pieces passed off as actual news. Nothing to do with being fashionable or anything like that. Their sports coverage isn't the worst though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Well for me the IT commentary pieces are usually interesting and get quite varied. For the Indo you get the usual out of touch Bruce Arnold types spouting the same crap every day. It's tiresome and doesn't relate to me or to the real world.

It's not snobbery, it's just the IT tends to be more informative, have less spin in factual articles and has more varied commentary...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

Started getting the indo on sat as the examiner revamped its weekend section and it takes about 30 secs to read it...

I like the indo on sat, plenty of reading in it! The IT can be pretty out of touch too... The sindo however isn't worth newsprint and paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

Indo's a crap paper but now it's gonna get a whole lot worse.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/stephen-rae-new-editor-irish-independent-588667-Sep2012/

Will the Indo ever be a decent paper again, how would you improve it?
    why do you think its crap?

what is the best daily paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/stephen-rae-new-editor-irish-independent-588667-Sep2012/

by naming it correctly. that way it doesn't confuse readers.

lemme see.....

the the sun is taken, so is the star...em, yes gottit. the moon!

The Moon. i like it.

' The Moon, for Loons.'

it's become such an utter rag, even wiping up vomit would be too good for it, though in fairness, Rae might just be the man for that...

• Advertisement

woodoo wrote: »
    Ask a public servant? They have been lying and spinning and smearing them for 3 years.

I am a public servant. ;)

And I agree with a lot of what the Indo says about the public service. Sorry.
    bleg wrote: »
    Well for me the IT commentary pieces are usually interesting and get quite varied. For the Indo you get the usual out of touch Bruce Arnold types spouting the same crap every day. It's tiresome and doesn't relate to me or to the real world.

It's not snobbery, it's just the IT tends to be more informative, have less spin in factual articles and has more varied commentary...

I have no problem with this. It's why I read the IT now rather than the Indo. But that's a balanced critique rather than a "oh the Indo is a rag, don't ask me why" that you tend to get.

Incidentally, one of the things I like about the Indo is that it's commentary is quite often more diverse than the IT's. Whenever I get to the comment section of the IT, I find myself anticipating the content, and generally agreeing. At least with the Indo, while I rarely agreed with the likes of Kevin Myers or David Quinn, they challenged my opinions and made me think about them. It's good to hear other opinions now and then, and I think that a lot of people who slam the Indo just don't like hearing opinions that differ from their own (I'm not including you in that).

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

The only reason the Indo isn't rubbish is that it copies articles from other international papers. On the whole, I find newspapers, apart from the English Indo, pretty rubbish in so far as they have forsaken news in favour of gossip. The death of the newspaper is no loss in my view and I won't be mourning for the half-arsed opinion of 'journalists'...real reporters on the otherhand will hopefully gain a renewed life through online publication. E.G I'd be willing to pay for quality news whereas I see no point in the current form of print press with all its bull****, lies, and self-important opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I wonder which of the UK newspapers is your daily read?
    I can't understand why you say will it ever be a decent newspaper again. It's not that bad, and their sales seem to back that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Great, lots more stories with quotes from a "source"

If you are a journalist and do this you can put in whatever pack of lies you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

The indo is a tabloid in all but name. The fact that its readership is high sums up this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

I find the tone of the Times to be very arrogant and full of rugby related news. Basically a snobbier version of the Indo and if you rely on either for business or economic news you must only use the information as soundbites at your dinner parties.

Lise Hand's article on Michael Ring today makes reference to "Galway taking on Tipp in the hurling final tomorrow." New editor is off to a flying start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

c_man wrote: »
    Lise Hand's article on Michael Ring today makes reference to "Galway taking on Tipp in the hurling final tomorrow." New editor is off to a flying start.

Any link? Can't see it online.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/famous-fixer-cant-solve-loavesandfishes-style-problem-of-croker-tickets-3223249.html
    (Much to his chagrin, he won't be in Croker to see his neighbouring county of Galway take on Tipp in the hurling final, as he'll be attending an event in the town to celebrate Westport winning the Best Place to Live in Ireland award.).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Kevin Myers for a start..

..although IT has that gob****e John Waters, but he gets balanced out with the brilliance of Fintan O'Toole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

Kevin Myers and John Waters makes me depressed about my own profession.

There are great journalists fresh out of college dying for a start and those two windbags are allowed peddle their reactionary rubbish, and get paid for it too :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Stop this fecker, for a start

Advertisement