Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first tank

Options
  • 07-09-2012 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

i'm planning on setting up my own community tank and i have my tank narrowed down to the juwel rio 125 or the fluval roma 125.does anybody have any experience with either of these tanks?
    they both seem like good starter tanks to me but i've heard that with the fluval,a lot of people take out the internal filter and use an external one.is the internal filter on the roma 125 not great.i'm a total beginner so i dont want to be messing around with changing filters straight off the bat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭buzz

I have both. It totally depends on what you plan to stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

buzz wrote: »
    I have both. It totally depends on what you plan to stock?

ideally something like this.this is from aqadvisor based on the fluval specs

AquStockImage.png

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

The reason many people remove the internal filters is that the external ones are more versatile and you can go with one of higher filtration capability (this allows you to upgrade the tank in the future and keep the filter) and you have more space for fish inside the tank.

As for the fish you listed, I'd ship the neons as nowadays they're muck and prone to diseases. Increase instead the number of the rest to have a bigger shoal. Also, I'd add a few more RCS as they don't add too much to the bioload.

m4r10 wrote: »
    The reason many people remove the internal filters is that the external ones are more versatile and you can go with one of higher filtration capability (this allows you to upgrade the tank in the future and keep the filter) and you have more space for fish inside the tank.

As for the fish you listed, I'd ship the neons as nowadays they're muck and prone to diseases. Increase instead the number of the rest to have a bigger shoal. Also, I'd add a few more RCS as they don't add too much to the bioload.

cheers for the advice m4r10.it seems the 2 tanks i am lookin at are pretty evenly matched/priced/rated.i'll flick a coin and decide that way.i wouldn't be worrying about external filters and upgrading for at least a few years until i was more experienced

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I use Juwel tanks, I just find them rock solid, and they're just nice, I've heard them described as the rolls royce of tanks. The only issue is the filter is glued in place, and it's a bit of a job to get it out, and it can leave marks on the glass.

The Fluval Roma, does that have the drip filter in the hood? I've heard they can be a bit fiddly but it's still a great tank. I'd actually use the internal and the external together as backup.

Have you read up on cycling the tank? That's the most important bit!

• Advertisement

Silverfish wrote: »
    Have you read up on cycling the tank? That's the most important bit!

sure have.been reading,researching and sourcing my equipment/fish/plants for a couple of months now.think i'm about ready to take the plunge

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

cheers for the advice m4r10.it seems the 2 tanks i am lookin at are pretty evenly matched/priced/rated.i'll flick a coin and decide that way.i wouldn't be worrying about external filters and upgrading for at least a few years until i was more experienced

Wait until you had the tank for a few months and I bet you'll want to upgrade. Just a warning and something I wish I knew before I took this hobby :(

Advertisement