Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lampard vs Gerrard

• 07-09-2012 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

This is an argument I've been having with my mate for years. I'm a Chelsea fan and he's a Liverpool fan so naturally I think Lampards better and he Gerrard.
    I know most of yee will say it doesnt matter, they're both great etc. but we just had another debate in which he stated that most people think Gerrard is better which I simply don't think is true.

In terms of goalscoring, Lampard is undoubtebly better but people seem to think Gerrard is more "influential" you could say. He might just be but Lamps is way more consistent.
    Another argument he makes is that Gerrard has been chosen to captain club and country but I dont think that makes him a better player than Lamps. Gerrards a better leader, that doesnt make him a better technical player.

In terms of likeability, People would lean towards Gerrard for his alleged "Passion" for Liverpool which might sway the neutral more in his favour but in my biased opinion Lampard is far more passionate. Remember he played right after his mother died against Liverpool and scored the winning penalty late on? Amazing stuff.

Anyway I apolagize if yee dont care about me and my mates argument but in fairness it is brought up a lot I think and I would love to hear your guys' opinions on the matter, even if its just a vote in the poll.

I know none of this will prove anything but it will still be interesting to see the general consensus.

Thanks for reading

Lampard or Gerrard 141 votes

Lampard
    0% 0 votes
    Gerrard
    100% 141 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Keane>Gerrard>Lampard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Anyway I apolagize if yee dont care about me and my mates argument

Apology accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Must be Gerrard for me, I support Liverpool. But Lampard is not the worst, I would never say, I hate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Apology accepted.

Excellent contribution man. The 20 seconds it took you to post that we're very necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bookie basher

lampard for me, scored more goals, was less prone to injury and seemed to be stonger mentally, gerrard was a good player & scored his share of goals but not as much as lampard & he was never great at organising the play or being a midfield playmaker like pirlo, xavi, deco etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Do people really think Gerrard "Play my song or I'll bash ya" is more likeable than Lampard "Can I nab your church booking if I pay off your mortgage please?"

I think Lampard is a better player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Few years back it was Gerrard easily but at this stage you would have to go with Lampard.
    Gerrard is deteriorating that bit worse with age than Lampard.

They should both be edged out sooner rather than later anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Few years back it was Gerrard easily but at this stage you would have to go with Lampard.

Yeah, Lamps will be heading to LA next season I'd wager and Gerrard has a few years in him yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Lampard or Gerrard? Tough one but I'd go with Scholes.

*runs*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Both have their strong points but both equally have major midfield flaws, i would say Gerrard for me as he offered much more over his career. I am just glad England persisted with playing both of them together so we could see their flaws tournament after tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

They're both shít, Bebé on the other hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

dunno if they can be compared to be honest.

nil all game on the line and you need one to grab it by the scruff and win it i'd want gerrard.

Need a game to be controlled i'd want lampard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Gerrard would kick the shít out of Lampard...

end of...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lampard. Athough veey similar they both offer very different overall attributes.

Both have been talismen at their clubs but id take Lampard even if I didnt support Chelsea, he just shades it for me, offers more goals and assist then any midfielder to play in the league ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

BOHtox wrote: »
    Gerrard would kick the shít out of Lampard...

end of...

Only if Lamps became a DJ and wouldn't take requests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

As an LFC fan I'll be biased and say Gerrard. He's not without his faults tho, I'm not a blinkered LFC fan, I still think Lampard is a very good player. Gerrard just has 'more' to him than Lampard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Gerard has had a few brilliant games which have cemented his legend.. lampard on the other hand plays very well every game, every season. Rarely misses penos, gets important goals and makes a difference.

No comparison in my opinion, Lamps every day of the week.

Anyone who sees it differently is plain wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

Lampard for me. I just think his overall game and consistency is what does it. I would have loved to have seen him play at Man U ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

lampard on the other hand plays very well every game, every season.

For a 'midfielder' who can go 20 mins without touching the ball in plenty of games and you wouldn't think was even playing at times, i wouldn't be saying he plays well every game. He is very much a player who disappears for large chunks of games with no influence, that for his position is criminal.Gerrard has plenty of shíte games too but he will always try to get involved even if he fooks up, he will try to get involved.
    To discount other opinions is petty. Both players at their peak on offer, most clubs would go for Gerrard imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

As has been Pointed out, they have different styles of play. Lampard is more intelligent player, while gerrard is the better athlete. Lampard could never be the one man team Gerrard was so often, nor is he as versatile as gerrard

. For me, Gerrard is the better footballer, and adds more to a side then lampard. While lampard has the better goal scoring record, I'd be interested to see how they compare if penalty's were omitted. I think it's also worth noting that lampard's goal tally being higher should be considered in the context of him playing in the better side, while Gerrard having a greater effect on his side should be considered In that it is easier to have a greater effect in a weaker side

As for either being dislikable, I don't really understand why. Gerrard has had one, unproven incident in 13 years. Thats 13 years of fame in a divisive city (footballing wise), under the spotlight in what is his home town. Personally I think that's a credit to him

Lamp are too, despite being a Tory and relative of Arry has always struck me as intelligent, articulate and genuinely decent. He speaks well and this was typified that time he was on the radio in response to criticism over his divorce. He made his points well, didn't resort to name calling or cursing, and left the dj with his tail between his legs

For me, both re excellent players, and both are quiet likeable. As a footballer however, I'd rate Gerrard as having been the better player, however as age takes its toll, it will be far harsher on gerrard as he loses that burst of pace then on lampard, who relied on intelligence rather then athleticism to a greater extent then gerrard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

LiamoSail wrote: »
    As has been Pointed out, they have different styles of play. Lampard is more intelligent player, while gerrard is the better athlete. Lampard could never be the one man team Gerrard was so often, nor is he as versatile as gerrard

. For me, Gerrard is the better footballer, and adds more to a side then lampard. While lampard has the better goal scoring record, I'd be interested to see how they compare if penalty's were omitted. I think it's also worth noting that lampard's goal tally being higher should be considered in the context of him playing in the better side, while Gerrard having a greater effect on his side should be considered In that it is easier to have a greater effect in a weaker side

As for either being dislikable, I don't really understand why. Gerrard has had one, unproven incident in 13 years. Thats 13 years of fame in a divisive city (footballing wise), under the spotlight in what is his home town. Personally I think that's a credit to him

Lamp are too, despite being a Tory and relative of Arry has always struck me as intelligent, articulate and genuinely decent. He speaks well and this was typified that time he was on the radio in response to criticism over his divorce. He made his points well, didn't resort to name calling or cursing, and left the dj with his tail between his legs

For me, both re excellent players, and both are quiet likeable. As a footballer however, I'd rate Gerrard as having been the better player, however as age takes its toll, it will be far harsher on gerrard as he loses that burst of pace then on lampard, who relied on intelligence rather then athleticism to a greater extent then gerrard

Its like you are reading my mind:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭estadio

They are both great players. Gerrard no doubt is a better leader, where as lampard is slightly the better player.
    For those interested in stats read this article:
    http://averageopposition.com/2012/01/15/player-comparison-frank-lampard-v-steven-gerrard/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

This ^^

Round of applause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Gerrard was England's best player at the European Championships (alongside Terry),

Lampard played very well tonight against Moldova!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Goals win games and lampard has an incredible record of goals and assists, consistently every season.

His stats are better disregarding penalties, but he also has a great record of scoring them, think I read he has scored 37 out of 40 or something like that. On the phone here so can't check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Lampard for me.

When they were at there peak Gerrard was recognized as better.

In that time Lamps won it all. He was better.

When they are retired Lampard will be recognized as better.

Shouldnt have taken until his retirement but at least he will be recognized.

Lampard was always better...

...and always will be.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Yeah, exactly what he said!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

chips

Gerrard the better all round footballer in my book but Lampard the more consistent over the years.

Gerrard played in a wide variety of positions over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Simple really THEY ARE BOTH ****E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Steven Gerrard has to be the most over-rated player in the history of English football. Sure he can fire 30 yard passes around the pitch and score the odd spectacular goals, but he fails every time at actually getting on the ball and dictating the pace of the game ala Pirlo, Zidane, De Rossi, Schneider, or the two Spanish maestros.

Stevie G was like a boy up against men when Italy taught England a lesson in football. He's not fit to lace Pirlo's boots, and wouldn't be good enough for any of the Serie A top sides' starting 11.

If ever there was a footballer who played the part of 'the emperor has no clothes', then Steven Gerrard is that footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

While I think neither are worthy of the hype, I would have to say Lampard. He has achieved more and contrary to popular belief, is actually the better passer of the ball.

I find certain people's assertions that Gerrard can "grab the game by the scruff of the neck" or "dictate play" hilarious. He has scored many important goals but occasionally banging one in an important match is not dictating anything. This is what fools people. Xavi dictates play. Scholes. People who demand the ball and then play incisive, accurate passes forward. Gerrard doesn't do this.

The game regularly passes him by and he then tries to force it by spraying useless 40 yard hollywood balls into nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Very little between them at the moment but if you look back over there career it has to be gerrard. The chap had it all and was a total all round footballer and could have played anywhere as he showed in 05 champions league final when went right full to mark the tricky Brazilian silvino and never gave him a sniff.
    Had incredible pace could shoot and head and for a couple of years he was getting on the end of his own crosses.
    Plus he greatly contributed to djimi traore getting a champions league medal!!!
    Frank was a terrific pro but was alway in the shadow of gerrard IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Honestly,I can't make up my mind which one I dislike most.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The day lampard wins the champions league with djimmi traore playing on his team is the day he becomes the better player ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

over the course of their careers, I'd place Gerrard higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Gerrard for me as well. Though I took serious umbrage when Lampard took Christine Bleakley off the market :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Got to be Scholes really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

kryogen wrote: »
    Got to be Scholes really
    "Who is better; Lampard or Gerrard?"
    -"Scholes."

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Both fine players in their day, but Gerrard for me.

Although think he was bit overhyped few years ago, still excellent player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

-"Scholes."

Why confused?

Scholes was the better player :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

-"Scholes."

trolls gotta troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

cambo2008 wrote: »

My exact thoughts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

This is probably the only poll I've seen in the soccer forum that's actually close :)

3 votes in it from almost 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I think Gerrard is better as an all-round midfielder (not to say he's great in that category, just better than Lampard) but Lampard is a far better attacking midfielder.

Lampard is actually more influential in a motivational as well as a footballing way despite not being the captain in his side. Lampard also does far better for England. Lampard seems to have a stronger mentality too.

Gerrard's performances have deteriorated a lot quicker than Lampard's, who is two years older.

Lampard all the time for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Gerard for me, played well with worse players around him.

Those talking about goals seem to forget about all the deflections that have gone in favour of Lampard, also only one of them has scored in an FA Cup, League Cup, UEFA cup and Champions League final ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

I think the way it stands right now, is the true result.

Both are great players, capable of anything at their peak. People will always admire different characteristics, attributes and styles of play, and I think its pretty fair as a 50/50 split.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not got a foot in either camp, but if I had the choice of which one to have by my side in the trenches it would be Gerrard. I feel Lampard is a great player at club level, but has never really done it for me at international level. In my view there's too much of having to play to his style when he plays for England, whereas I find Gerrard much more versatile and will adapt to the situation as required

However I take the point regarding the deterioration of Gerrard - I think he's suffering from being played too much as a youngster (when still growing and prone to niggling injuries - this is where Ferguson played a blinder with Giggs, making sure he was not overplayed early in his career)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭doc_17

Almost 50-50 in the poll! Don't think it'll be settled that easily. Lampard has had better players around him though which probably helped him in the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Lampard hasn't done it at an international level but has scored 25 international goals, with the same players around him as Gerrard?

• Advertisement
Advertisement