Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alarm system quote/any good?

Options
  • 07-09-2012 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Just got a quote for alarm system for 3 bed semi-d and since i have absolutely no clue what is what when it comes to alarms, i'm looking for a bit of advice. there are 10 windows in the house and here are bits of the quotation:
    All External windows and Doors Ground Floor protected by Astec Sensors and Magnetic Reed Contacts. All External windows 1st Floor protected by Astec Sensors.
    The above System is controlled by a HKC Microprocessor-based Panel with a timed Entry /Exit circuit, and a 24 hr anty/tamer circuit.
    The Panel also incorporates a re-chargeable back up Power supply.
    A Remote Key Pad with built in Panic Button is Located beside the front Door.

the price is €700 for parts and labour.is it worth the money? and more importantly is this alarm good?
    thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Although Astec stuff is now obsolete it doesn't really matter. It's not a bad price at all.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

That's a fair price. Is the house pre wired?

You can add on digi dialers or a texter and such but the price goes up considerably then.

I wouldn't compare this quote to eircoms prices if you're doing that. Eircoms systems are ****e and most likely you'll only get a couple of Pirs and entry exit points. Their control panel is the key pad aswell so you'll have a big nasty key pad on you wall :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Not a bad price at €700.
    I would look for more clarification on what HKC system it is (If its Securewatch then look for Securewave or Siemens SPC insted) & what the sensors really are.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tsuzmir

yes, the house is pre wired. are there any essential/very useful extras I should consider?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The Siemens has some nice features like built in web server for remote access , wireless receiver for the addition of wireless detectors , remote key fobs etc.
    Advice as always is shop around & get at least 3 quotes & see whats covered. Insist on a site visit to see exactly whats covered & ensure there are no surprises down the line.
    As I said check what panel(s) your getting quoted for & also double check what sensors. Astec equipment is obsolete now.

• Advertisement

tsuzmir wrote: »
    yes, the house is pre wired. are there any essential/very useful extras I should consider?

If you're the nervous sort might be no harm getting a panic button beside the bed as if you hear or see anyone out on the drive or back garden sounding the alarm will usually scare them off :)

If you can get a texter they're handy but might be a bit pricey don't know exactly saves you paying the monthly charge for a monitored alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

leeomurchu wrote: »
    If you're the nervous sort might be no harm getting a panic button beside the bed as if you hear or see anyone out on the drive or back garden sounding the alarm will usually scare them off :)

If you can get a texter they're handy but might be a bit pricey don't know exactly saves you paying the monthly charge for a monitored alarm.

That is an interesting post, so he is the nervous type and the text dialler is a good idea? That will provide the man with a great piece of mind when he presses his panic button, when he hears his own mobile going 'beep beep'.

Really if there is a panic button involved get the bloody alarm professionally monitored, otherwise just save the money and forget about the pa.
    An alarm is only as good as the response it gets.

kub wrote: »
    That is an interesting post, so he is the nervous type and the text dialler is a good idea? That will provide the man with a great piece of mind when he presses his panic button, when he hears his own mobile going 'beep beep'.

Really if there is a panic button involved get the bloody alarm professionally monitored, otherwise just save the money and forget about the pa.
    An alarm is only as good as the response it gets.

I know I shouldn't reply because no doubt you'll come back with all sorts of nonsense drivel because clearly you know everything.

Is the only positive thing you can add to this thread a nonsense comment.

Do you honestly think that by pressing the panic button it will only text him????

By putting a panic button in the bedroom he/she can sound the alarm if they hear someone attempting to enter the premises. This more times than not will scare away any intruders why would they want to try and access a house with an alarm already active.

You're saying get a monitored alarm which will ring your 2 set numbers and then the gardai. so 3pm alarms activates call centre rings mother phones dead, tries brother he's on holidays so calls the gardaí. It turns out the alarm was activated by the window cleaner home owner is in work. This wonderful monitored alarm has just cost the owner a call out fee for a false alarm €100 + not to mention the fees for the monitoring company. A texter texts the op in work and she can call her neighbour to have a look(Oh it's just the window cleaner,no problem) 8cent for text 12cent for phone call friendly neighbours priceless :D

So remind me again in your sarcastic tone how great a monitored alarm is please, seeing as how you seem to have all the smart answers. :rolleyes:

Any chance you work for Eircom (perhaps a bitter sales rep)

I know I shouldn't reply because no doubt you'll come back with all sorts of nonsense drivel because clearly you know everything.
    He has not posted any nonsense or drivel . He does know what he is taking about as he is a licensed installer.
    Is the only positive thing you can add to this thread a nonsense comment.
    By putting a panic button in the bedroom he/she can sound the alarm if they hear someone attempting to enter the premises. This more times than not will scare away any intruders why would they want to try and access a house with an alarm already active.
    Its not a nonsense comment .Activating an alarm in a panic situation can make a bad situation worse & panic an intruder into attacking .
    Silent PA is better. A phone alert would also give this away alerting the intruder someone has been notified.
    You're saying get a monitored alarm which will ring your 2 set numbers and then the gardai. so 3pm alarms activates call centre rings mother phones dead, tries brother he's on holidays so calls the gardaí. It turns out the alarm was activated by the window cleaner home owner is in work. This wonderful monitored alarm has just cost the owner a call out fee for a false alarm €100 + not to mention the fees for the monitoring company.
    Now this is nonsense. There is no call out fee. There is no limit of 2 phone numbers . There is no extra charge from the monitoring station. Plus on a panic alarm no key holders are called . You just get priority Garda response.
    If its not a panic alarm Gardai only call on verified alarms or to meet a keyholder, Still no extra charges.
    Please do some research & get some facts before attacking a poster who knows what he's talking about.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Now this is nonsense. There is no call out fee. There is no limit of 2 phone numbers . There is no extra charge from the monitoring station. Plus on a panic alarm no key holders are called . You just get priority Garda response.
    If its not a panic alarm Gardai only call on verified alarms or to meet a keyholder, Still no extra charges.
    Please do some research & get some facts before attacking a poster who knows what he's talking about.

Did I say anything about an extra charge from the monitoring company I was talking about the charges associated with have a monitored alarm.

I did not say you were restricted to 2 numbers it's a common amount of numbers allocated on a digi dialer.

If you do not have a monitored alarm there is no direct contact with the gardai.

How in the name of sweet jesus would you know if activating an alarm would make a situation worse You are talking utter nonsense there. Speculating on a hypothetical situation.

If the gardaí have to continuously attend nuisance alarms at your premises you are charged.

Perhaps you need to do some research before sticking your beak in now get back in your box...

You clearly know nothing about alarms and have took it upon yourself to play the shining night please get over yourself some moderators really do let it go to their heads.

No if you have nothing positive to add to this thread perhaps you should go moderate else where!!

• Advertisement

Did you actually read any of my comment or hypothetical situation?? Is the window cleaner likely to press the panic alarm???

I will however correct my previous comments regarding a charge. Garda Síochána do not charge for attendance to an alarm. However they will downgrade and eventually withdraw their response if they are called out to excessive false alarms.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tsuzmir

Hmmm, that thread didn't go in right direction I'm afraid.... but I appreciate the effort

Did I say anything about an extra charge from the monitoring company I was talking about the charges associated with have a monitored alarm.

I did not say you were restricted to 2 numbers it's a common amount of numbers allocated on a digi dialer.

Explain common...
    Most people I set these up for have 4 or more. Monitoring stations would have more again , with multiple land lines & multiple mobiles for most people.
    How in the name of sweet jesus would you know if activating an alarm would make a situation worse You are talking utter nonsense there. Speculating on a hypothetical situation.
    I have 20 years + experience in the business. Anyone will tell you a threatened intruder is more dangerous. Like a cornered rat, so to speak.
    Care to share where your knowledgeable comments come from?
    Considering the following false statements.,
    If the gardaí have to continuously attend nuisance alarms at your premises you are charged.
    It turns out the alarm was activated by the window cleaner home owner is in work. This wonderful monitored alarm has just cost the owner a call out fee for a false alarm €100 +

Both of these statements are false!!! There is no charge for false alarm call outs.
    It turns out the alarm was activated by the window cleaner home owner is in work. This wonderful monitored alarm has just cost the owner a call out fee for a false alarm €100 +
    Perhaps you need to do some research before sticking your beak in now get back in your box...

You clearly know nothing about alarms and have took it upon yourself to play the shining night please get over yourself some moderators really do let it go to their heads.

No if you have nothing positive to add to this thread perhaps you should go moderate else where!!
    Perhaps you should change your tone if you want to keep posting here. I have read all your comments here & put up with your attitude for now.
    Kub is a licensed installer with experiece here as am I . Now if you to continue making false statements they will be deleted. If you continue to post in an aggressive and attacking manner infractions & bans will follow.
    This is my only on thread warning to you.

Explain common...
    Most people I set these up for have 4 or more. Monitoring stations would have more again , with multiple land lines & multiple mobiles for most people.

I have 20 years + experience in the business. Anyone will tell you a threatened intruder is more dangerous. Like a cornered rat, so to speak.
    Care to share where your knowledgeable comments come from?
    Considering the following false statements.,

Both of these statements are false!!! There is no charge for false alarm call outs.

Perhaps you should change your tone if you want to keep posting here. I have read all your comments here & put up with your attitude for now.
    Kub is a licensed installer with experiece here as am I . Now if you to continue making false statements they will be deleted. If you continue to post in an aggressive and attacking manner infractions & bans will follow.
    This is my only on thread warning to you.

Oooh such a threat I'm terrified please Sir.. don't be ridiculous.

The only part I got wrong is the charge for a nuisance call out which I corrected in my post.

You seem to be enjoying picking out points out of context.

You're the one carrying on with threatening an abusive behaviour so I suggest you stop it.

You completely over looked the fact that my hypothetical story was based on seeing an intruder outside the house perhaps you should look passed your ego and 20+ years experience and re read my point. By your reckoning the op would be safer waiting till the intruder was in the house and then set off a silent alarm. That makes perfect sense 20+ years obviously thought you well???

Also 20+ years experience dealing directly with intruders unless you have a criminal law degree or psychology degree you install alarms which gives you no insight into the behaviour of a criminal so get serious.

My comment carries just as much weight as yours.

You say "most people" therefore that would mean not all people so it would be fair to assume that there are people with only 2 specified numbers or less yet you pontificate there as if you're all knowing with your 20+ years of experience.

At this stage your comments are aimed at me and will report them as such your title as a moderator is a privilege not a right and you seem to revel in the power it gives you.

Oooh such a threat I'm terrified please Sir.. don't be ridiculous.
    Comments like this do nothing for you & just show up your immaturity .
    This would possibly explain you lack of understanding of this business.
    The only part I got wrong is the charge for a nuisance call out which I corrected in my post.
    Glad to see that. It does not excuse you attacking other posters here
    You're the one carrying on with threatening an abusive behaviour so I suggest you stop it.
    This is back seat modding & earns you an infraction, also questioning moderator decisions on thread is a breach of the forum charter.
    Please outline (via PM or report post feature) where I have been abusive.
    You completely over looked the fact that my hypothetical story was based on seeing an intruder outside the house perhaps you should look passed your ego and 20+ years experience and re read my point. By your reckoning the op would be safer waiting till the intruder was in the house and then set off a silent alarm. That makes perfect sense 20+ years obviously thought you well???
    What Kub was stating was the benefits of Garda response on a panic alarm over a phone ringing in someone's pocket. Most people understand these benefits
    Also 20+ years experience dealing directly with intruders unless you have a criminal law degree or psychology degree you install alarms which gives you no insight into the behaviour of a criminal so get serious.
    Sorry , I missed where you said what your experience is again..:confused:
    You say "most people" therefore that would mean not all people so it would be fair to assume that there are people with only 2 specified numbers or less
    Yes, but it would not be common , as you stated.

I have 21+ years experience in this business and my comments regarding a panic button were based on there not being a digi dialer installed.

You seem to have barely read my first comment and now have made it into something more than a disagreement.

You've taken this personally and have attacked myself in the process also I might add you've not provided any helpful information to the OP and continue to attack me. I've accepted you infraction and reported your comments to other moderators and will directly contact boards regarding this matter as I feel you are ill fit for position.

I've nothing further to add here I suggest you follow suit.

I have 21+ years experience in this business and my comments regarding a panic button were based on there not being a digi dialer installed.
    You have 21 years experience in the business & you thought there was a charge for false alarm call outs.:confused:
    You've taken this personally and have attacked myself in the process also I might add you've not provided any helpful information to the OP and continue to attack me.
    I have asked you to give me examples of where I have attacked you personally. I have seen no examples either via PM or in your report of the post. Amazing how I have got 2 thanks from the OP for providing no useful information. Nothing here is personal. You are the one who came on here posting false information & attacking a licenced installer telling him he was posting nonsense.
    Maybe if you intend on posting in this forum in the future you should take a browse over some of the other threads here. This will show you whose experienced & who knows what they are talking about. There are a number of good verified licenced installers here who give a lot of time helping others.
    They do not deserve to be attacked by people who are quick to post first & check the facts later.
    I'm closing this now . If the OP needs anything further please PM me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement