Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what mounts

Options
  • 07-09-2012 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

right just got my remington 700 vssf ii in 220 swift and i have a nightforce benchrest to go on it and im wondering wat mounts to use?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Picainny rail (preferably inclined), and a good set of 30mm rings.

Nightforce are good, but expensive. Burris are good, and half the price, and then you have other makes such as Warne, etc.

Depending on which combination, make, model, and where you buy you are looking at between €150 - €300 for a good set up. Try to get the est you can afford.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

If you already have the Nightforce scope, I would go with the NF rail and rings.

I have always like the Weaver rail setup on my hunting rifles and the military Picatinny on my war guns. Aside from a matter of taste, I have found that the Weaver setup usually sits lower than the Picatinny.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnnymolloy

ye ive already got the nightforce i was considering using the sphur mount im not sure if anyone has heard of it but it looks excellent

The Spuhr mounts look good, although they are more military/Law enforcement orientated. However from what i can find they are in the $450 mark. Allowing for shipping, and any taxes/duties that could be a direct exchange into Euro.

That's if you get them. Due to their nature/build, etc they could very well be deemed military, and as such may not be exported. Only a wild guess so don't take that for granted.

if they do run that price i would advice on any number of other mounts. www.NEARmfg.com do some of the best rails/rings in the world, and are still cheaper than Spuhr. As do Nightforce, third eye tactical, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

cheers ezridax ill check them out thing i like about the spuhr is its tactical looking

i might just get nightforce stuff to go with the scope

• Advertisement

The Spuhr look the business.

Doing a bit of a check, and $450 is about €350. Add 20-40 dollars for shipping an you are looking at €390 - €400. NEAR rail, and NF rings are gonna set you back about €300 - €320. All in. So there is a saving, but no loss of performance.

It's a matter of choice. Make sure the Spuhr can be gotten in MOA inclined design. You'll want it eventually. If not then the better choice is to go for the rail/rings combo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

Dont forget to look at the Badger Ordnance mounts and rails. They are in between the sphur price and the NF price but have a very good reuptation.

I have Warne Tactical on my .223, good mounts, heavy though and the Burris Extreme look good for half the money. Had a few people tell me my Warnes had a reuptation for marking scopes and damaging tubes. I have had no such complaints as I use a torque wrench to tighten them to the manufacturers recommendation and dont just keep twisting the allen key until its 'tight'

ye thats been my worry is mounting it to the gun and scope i dont have a torque wrench so im a bit worried spending that much and possible wreck it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

ye thats been my worry is mounting it to the gun and scope i dont have a torque wrench so im a bit worried spending that much and possible wreck it

If you are living anywhere near me, you are welcome to borrow mine. They are a good investment. The Warne rings are nice, just heavy. any ring will damage a tube if over tightened. If you wanted to, you could pop along to a range and usually someone will have one in their bag that you could use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I have a Nightforce Unimount. Made BY Nightforce, FOR Nightforce scopes. How can you go wrong?

tac

• Advertisement

think im gonna go with seekins precision mounts anyone know what size mounts i need? no idea how to start measuring them:confused:

think i found the formula for it the objective diameter is 66mm so i half that to find the center line so its 33mm, the nightforce base is 7mm,
    so i subtract the 7mm from the 33mm which gives me 26mm which means i need rings which are atleast 26mm/1.02362 inches high

the bases im now thinking of are badger ordnance in 28.6mm/1.125inches

are my calculations correct?

Yup.

Make sure you don't go too close to the minimum clearance. Otherwise you'll end up with your scope touching the barrel.

Also be mindful of the rail. Is it inclined or "flat".

Other than that you have it.

its a 20 moa nightforce so are they tilted forward or back?

All inclined rails are mounted with "higher" end on the back of the action. So when you mount it you would make sure the raised part of the rail is at the rear of the receiver/action, and the thinner end towards the muzzle. If that makes sense.

ye thats what ive done measured it just to be sure and the 7mm measurement is from the front of the rail

so am i in the clear?

You should be sound. Now all you need to do is see how the ring manufacturer measure their rings. IOW is it from the base of the ring to the bottom of the scope tube or from the base to the centre of the scope tube. So A or B in the picture below.

picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=13786

ye made sure about how they measure them badger have a both measurements on their website, ill be getting the 30mm 1.125 rings

http://badgerordnance.com/scope-rings-sizing-chart/

Looks right. 30mm high.

Won't be long till you're shooting so.

Make sure to lash up a picture when you get sorted.

brilliant all i need now is to find someone in the uk with them or someone that will ship them out of america

yep ill definitely get a few up all im missing now is a moderator have to keep on ringing the garda

• Advertisement

Check the following.

Sporting Services.

MidwayUK.

Not many EU/UK suppliers. There are a couple in the US that ship to Ireland with some items, and one supplier in Canada that may be a little easier to order from.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

brilliant all i need now is to find someone in the uk with them or someone that will ship them out of america

yep ill definitely get a few up all im missing now is a moderator have to keep on ringing the garda
    www.brownells.com sell badger mounts and will ship to Ireland.
    You should also take a look at the tps rings that they also sell.
    I have some and they are great.

Advertisement