Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there guidlines on days/hours for Jobsharing?

• 07-09-2012 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭

Does anybody have a link to some info on conditions of hours for jobsharing in post primary? I can't find anything on it online.

I thought there was something about max number of hours in the school, with a max of 4 day week.

My friend thinking of going down this road but doesn't want to show her hand before deciding if she will apply.
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

In terms of hours, your friend would be doing half her normal hours i.e.11 hours or 9 if she has an assistant principal post.

As for a max of a 4 day week, I can't say that I've heard that. Bear in mind that whether your friend is granted job sharing or not depends on the subject requirements of the school - e.g. if she was the only Home Ec teacher in the school, it might not be possible to grant her request.

Have a look here: http://www.asti.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/Documents/Leaflets/Job-Sharing_Sept_2005.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

There was a discussion either here or on edposts a few weeks or so back in regards job share. Think it may have been on edposts actually.

Basically the gist of the thread was that there did not seem to be any guidelines in terms of days etc. It was completely up to the principal of the school and what fit into the timetable.
    In a lot of cases it came down to the needs of the school and student first.

Some people got all mornings or afternoons and were happy, some people got 3 days or 4 days a week. Others got 5 days a week and spread out too so from that thread it seems that it could be anything.

I could not find any documentation giving guidelines anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Fizzical

We have several job sharers for years. There is no concession given to them. They are on max hours - 11 - whether they have a post or not. Their classes are spread over the 5 days, whatever way the timetable falls. Job sharing here is only of use if you live close to the school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Would echo what seavill and Fizzical said.

We have had a couple of job sharer's over the last few years and the only consistency is that they work 11 hours. One has a Special Duties post and keeps the post and full pay for that. No concession on mornings/afternoons/days off unless it fits with the timetable.

The timetable was done to allow one teacher a day off the first time she did jobshare and I think she got a couple of late mornings or early finishes but if they can't fit it in, they won't.

The other thing that can affect it is the subject of the teacher. If it is a core subject like English, Irish or maths they can expect to be timetabled everyday as is normal for those subjects. No principal is going to timetable LC English over three days of the week just to suit one teacher.

For teachers (and it generally tends to be women with young children in my experience) who go on jobshare it's only worth their while if they live near the school and are timetabled for 5 days. If they live any distance from the school they are there all day anyway so they might as well be teaching their full hours. For a teacher living a long distance from the school they would have to be getting at least one day a week off and a half day on one of the other days to make it worth their while in my opinion, as travel costs/childcare costs (if applicable) aren't going to reduce all that much over a four day week where as wages are reduced by 50%.

Advertisement