Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H1B Processed in Australia?

Options
  • 08-09-2012 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi I am currently in Australia and an employer in the US has given me a job offer. Is there any way of getting the H1B visa processed from here - i.e. without having to do interview in embassy in dublin?

Also the I-129 Form that has to be completed (which I have partically completed before giving to my new employer to complete and submit) requests details of any previous visas, in my case a J-1 from 2001. I no longer have the passport that had the stamp, will I have to chase up with US embassy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

** POst split from old topic into its own ***

As far as I know, you can interview for your visa anywhere you are legally resident, so if you have a work/ travel visa then yes, but maybe not if you are just there as a tourist.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 rentacrowd

Thanks, I am resident here so that hopefully can do it without having to go to US embassy in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Your H1B can be processed no matter where you are in the world, however to actually get your visa on your passport, you must be in a country that has a US Embassy (Correct me if i'm wrong Silja, I'm 99% sure your resident status doesn't affect this, just as long as you are legal). Since Australia does have a US Embassy, you shouldn't have any problems. It will however, take a little longer than usual to get the visa issued so you can actually enter the US.

Also, (and I can confirm shortly when I get my visa in Dublin) there is no actual interview at the embassy, you get the H1B visa approved before going near the Embassy and getting the physical visa in your passport is just a paperwork process carried out at an embassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

rentacrowd wrote: »
    Hi I am currently in Australia and an employer in the US has given me a job offer. Is there any way of getting the H1B visa processed from here - i.e. without having to do interview in embassy in dublin?

Also the I-129 Form that has to be completed (which I have partically completed before giving to my new employer to complete and submit) requests details of any previous visas, in my case a J-1 from 2001. I no longer have the passport that had the stamp, will I have to chase up with US embassy?

Are you a citizen of Australia or just a resident? I would also look into E3 (which is for Australians) which is very similar but allot less paperwork and hassle. As above, as long as you are legal in Oz you should have no hassles.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 rentacrowd

Just resident, I'm on the 457 working visa. Thanks everyone for the info

• Advertisement
Advertisement