Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right to see Plumber invoice

Options
  • 08-09-2012 8:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

a plumber was called to my place of residence there recently due to a leak which was negligence on my part and I accept full responsibility, basically I left a tap on slightly and the sink was already full and a slight leak went to the other apartment below.

The fee is 200 euro and I dont mind paying it but I have asked for the plumbers invoice and all I got was an invoice from the agency itself, havent I a right to see the actual plumbers invoice he submitted to the agency

Does the fee sound fair?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

the reason you may not be getting the plumbers invoice could be that the agency paid the invoice already and are invoicing you to reimburse them for it. this is normal practice and you dont really have a right to see the plumbers invoice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

a plumber was called to my place of residence there recently due to a leak which was negligence on my part and I accept full responsibility, basically I left a tap on slightly and the sink was already full and a slight leak went to the other apartment below.

The fee is 200 euro and I dont mind paying it but I have asked for the plumbers invoice and all I got was an invoice from the agency itself, havent I a right to see the actual plumbers invoice he submitted to the agency

Does the fee sound fair?
    If you feel aggrieved, you can make a claim with the PRTB against the landlord.
    If there was damage to the apartment below, you may be liable the cost of redecorating/repairs for that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

edellc wrote: »
    the reason you may not be getting the plumbers invoice could be that the agency paid the invoice already and are invoicing you to reimburse them for it. this is normal practice and you dont really have a right to see the plumbers invoice

I would argue that the tenant has the right to see an invoice/receipt for any amount charged for repairs, be it during the tenancy or for money deducted from the deposit when moving out. The landlord is never allowed to profit from a situation like this, and to me the tenant is well within their rights to see exactly how much the plumber charged, as the tenant is the one who is paying the plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Does the fee sound fair?

What did the plumber actually do ??

200 sounds a lot to take a plug out a sink and drain the water...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

The plumber checked for leaks but there was none,and there was no damage either. I don't mind paying the 200 euro put I would prefer to see the invoice submitted by the plumber to the agency as oposed to an invoice from the agency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Mikros

Xcellor wrote: »
    What did the plumber actually do ??

200 sounds a lot to take a plug out a sink and drain the water...

I'd imagine a large part of the €200 was mainly the call out fee at short notice possibly out of hours, not the actual work done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

do invoices dissapear once paid

?

ask to see a copy of the invoice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Tigger wrote: »

do invoices dissapear once paid

?

ask to see a copy of the invoice

Don't b an idiot, it is normal business practice for a company to pay an invoice and then issue one looking for reimbursement, any time I have done this I have always attached a photocopy of the original to the new invoice but most companies don't. Obviously the op can request to see the original I never said they couldn't. I was just pointing out what normally happens in a business environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

havent I a right to see the actual plumbers invoice he submitted to the agency
    Yes. €200 sounds too round and neat.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

the_syco wrote: »
    Yes. €200 sounds too round and neat.

Many tradesmen issue nice round neat quotes- and deduct the VAT and any other deductions out of this nice round figure for Revenue. I know I'd not be impressed to get a bill for 202.46 for payment- I'd automatically expect anything of 220 or under be rounded down to 200. If the Management Company organised it- I'd add in the 50 Euro surcharge to this (this is the way we organise it here). A landlord would *not* normally be involved in rectifying damage to an apartment other than his or her own- that would go through the Management Company.

Nothing unusual whatsoever with a nice neat Euro 200 bill. I paid a nice neat 400 Euro bill last week- which I negotiated down to this level.

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

I would inform the agency you need both invoices: theirs and the plumber's invoice - as you need both for your own insurance company.

I am presuming you have contents/house insurance, no?

Even if you are not making a claim, you are completely in your rights to get all invoices to prove the cost of the work done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    I would inform the agency you need both invoices: theirs and the plumber's invoice - as you need both for your own insurance company.

I am presuming you have contents/house insurance, no?

Even if you are not making a claim, you are completely in your rights to get all invoices to prove the cost of the work done.

However, the agent/landlord is entitled to add a sum for administration costs etc.

See smccarrick's post #11, above:
    Many tradesmen issue nice round neat quotes- and deduct the VAT and any other deductions out of this nice round figure for Revenue. I know I'd not be impressed to get a bill for 202.46 for payment- I'd automatically expect anything of 220 or under be rounded down to 200. If the Management Company organised it- I'd add in the 50 Euro surcharge to this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

..and the tenant is entitled to know exactly what that amount is.

Entitlement works both ways.

@OP - if you find that the agency have added too high of a cost to the plumber's bill, then lesson well learnt I say.
    Next time employ a reputable plumber/tradesmen and pay them direct yourself to fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Don't b an idiot
    No need for this.

Advertisement