Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chris O'Dowd's correction of interviewer who called him "British"

• 08-09-2012 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Not to invoke heedless Anglophobia, but Chris O'Dowd correction of this interviewer (47 seconds in) when she calls him a "British actor" is the epitome of how it should be done.

Concise, firm and discreet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jellygems

Good man Chris, what is with the British claiming all the good ones.... I bet they wouldnt call Shane McGowan British :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Funny guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

He corrected her, by correcting her. Brilliant :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Such a strange accent

I knew a few from Roscommon but none of them speak like that

Strange in a good way

jellygems wrote: »
    Good man Chris, what is with the British claiming all the good ones.... I bet they wouldn't call Shane McGowan British :rolleyes:
    Well the Irish are not exactly the best in this regard either. We try and claim and awful lot of people too. You even hear people Wayne Rooney Irish. Should we then be calling Katie Taylor British?
    It's just that globally we have less enemies so to speak than the Brits so people don't mind being called Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I'm outraged, I'm going to write a strongly worded email to someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Such a strange accent

Strange in a good way

He's pretty much been living in London for the last ten years, I think. So it's probably got a bit more English since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Good lord, who gives a fukc, why does this only seem to matter to the Irish.

Him being an Irish actor does absolutely nothing to improve my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

He's pretty much been living in London for the last ten years, I think. So it's probably got a bit more English since.

I'm from Sligo, near Ballymote, which is one stop over from Boyle on the train, and I don't think there's anything unusual about Chris O'Dowd's accent. Lots of people in Roscommon talk like that.

I don't pick up an English inflection, the way you do with Irish actors like Jonathan Rhys Meyers or Ruth Negga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

This does not deserve its own thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Good man Chris, what is with the British claiming all the good ones.... I bet they wouldn't call Shane McGowan British :rolleyes:
    Well the Irish are not exactly the best in this regard either. We try and claim and awful lot of people too. You even hear people Wayne Rooney Irish. Should we then be calling Katie Taylor British?
    It's just that globally we have less enemies so to speak than the Brits so people don't mind being called Irish.

Yeah but Ireland seem to do it when there is an ancestral link to the country. Still a bit cringeworthy. Especially the Obama one. Whereas the British seem to do it geographically because they think Ireland and Britain is one and the same.

Sappa wrote: »
    This does not deserve its own thread.

This does not deserve its own comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

We claim Obama as Irish for the love of god.
    We can't get bitchy about stuff like this.
    If he's ever involved in some scandal the headlines in britland will be "Irish actor Chris...", that's the issue I'd have with it.

He's a funny guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Colmustard wrote: »

Oh come on, the British took enough. We're not lettin them take Chris or Katie or anyone else for that matter. And fair play to those of us all for feeling strong about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Hahaha

She sounded a tad peeved at being picked up on it :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Obviously it only matters to the Irish in the same way that calling an Australian a Czech would matter to the Australians or calling an Estonian Spanish would only matter to Estonians.
    Have journalists a major issue with knowing a teeny tiny bit of geography and perhaps a smidge of their own history?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Not to invoke heedless Anglophobia,

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭BQQ

Ah, c'mon. That's only a bit of craic. Not the same thing at all.

Can you imagine an interviewer asking Obama "as an Irish politician, how did you feel working in Washington?" like in the video above?

BQQ wrote: »
    Ah, c'mon. That's only a bit of craic. Not the same thing at all.

Can you imagine an interviewer asking Obama "as an Irish politician, how did you feel working in Washington?" like in the video above?
    Realisticly we only claim that Obama has irish roots and its only the Americans who really give a fiddlers about such stuff seing as they are such a young recently colonised nation. As you say, its mostly only crack. Totally different to calling a buck from Boyle 'a british actor'.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭forfcksake

It says he's from Sligo on his wiki page, thought he was from Boyle in Roscommon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

forfcksake wrote: »
    It says he's from Sligo on his wiki page, thought he was from Boyle in Roscommon?
    Sligo people, always claiming Roscommon celebrities as their own! Wait until a dead, drugged up hooker is found in his swimming pool, he'll be back to being a Rossie then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

To be fair she could use "British actor" moving to Hollywood as British resident actor or actor in British TV. That's the shorthand she's using.

I really like Chris O'Dowd. He's a lovably character!
    But, if he hadn't of corrected her there it would have been bad form.
    She probably just made a bit of a slip of the tongue, but you need to correct people in those situations regardless.

Chris seems like a no bull**** sort of guy. Wasn't offended by it or find it a big deal just educated the interviewer and prevented people been misinformed.

I think it's how most reasonable people would react though.

Wait.. who is claiming Obama as Irish?

Wait.. who is claiming Obama as Irish?
    Jedward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I'm outraged, I'm going to write a strongly worded email to someone.

You do know that my inbox now just labels your mails as spam? The google spam squad should be abseiling and busting through your windows riigghht aboouut.......NOW!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Not to invoke heedless Anglophobia, but Chris O'Dowd correction of this interviewer (47 seconds in) when she calls him a "British actor" is the epitome of how it should be done.

Yea, ok...

NEXT!

You're missing the point entirely. This isn't about 'claiming' someone based on their ancestry. It's about an Irish person being called British, to his face, and choosing to correct the person doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

forfcksake wrote: »

He is, but the hospital in Sligo is only about 35 minutes from Boyle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You do know that my inbox now just labels your mails as spam? The google spam squad should be abseiling and busting through your windows riigghht aboouut.......NOW!

Heh, time to change email address................again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I thought this was about the LLS last night...disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Good man Chris, what is with the British claiming all the good ones.... I bet they wouldnt call Shane McGowan British :rolleyes:

Shane McGowan IS British.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Such a strange accent

Strange in a good way

It's very put on, IMO. He Oirishes it up a bit, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I like Chris O'Dowd's approach in interviews, he's polite but doesn't suffer foolishness. Mrs Geeky saw an interview with an Irish journalist (just as the IT Crowd was taking off) who asked him 'oh, when are you coming back to us?'

He just turned around and said I'm still a jobbing actor, mate, I go where there's work. If celebs weren't so nicey-nicey and smiling through idiocy in interviews, I'd actually watch more interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The exact opposite of what this thread's going to be.:P

• Advertisement

only in the way that Seán Dermot Fintan O'Leary, Jr is.

It doesn't sound remotely English though.

O'Dowd sounds like his should be clearing muck and leaves from a drainage ditch in the midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scoob70

Yeah but Ireland seem to do it when there is an ancestral link to the country. Still a bit cringeworthy. Especially the Obama one. Whereas the British seem to do it geographically because they think Ireland and Britain is one and the same.

Well I'm a brit living here and watched this and it is cringeworthy. He delt with this superbly :). This is just bloody lazy youngsters in their first journalist job more wrapped up in furthering their careers then taking the time to do some basic research on their subject. I'm just saying :D.

Obviously it only matters to the Irish in the same way that calling an Australian a Czech would matter to the Australians or calling an Estonian Spanish would only matter to Estonians.
    Have journalists a major issue with knowing a teeny tiny bit of geography and perhaps a smidge of their own history?

Why would the journo know, he works in Britain, lives in London (for the past 10 years) has he ever acted here??, do you really think a British journo doesn't know where Ireland is,,come-on.

Besides they can have him, I think he is crap.

• Advertisement

Why would the journo know, he works in Britain, lives in London (for the past 10 years) has he ever acted here??, do you really think a British journo doesn't know where Ireland is,,come-on.

Because they are supposed to know who they are talking to. Its basic research.
    As for has he ever acted here.. YES.

You should calm down! The "journalist" didn't know, he corrected her. In a polite manner as well.

Because they are supposed to know who they are talking to. Its basic research.
    As for has he ever acted here.. YES.

At a celeb bash, really, so the journo finds out who will be there and stays up all night studying their profiles, what do you think they are.

You should calm down! The "journalist" didn't know, he corrected her. In a polite manner as well.

And that merits this thread and makes a nation proud. It'd moronic that anyone cares,

And that merits this thread and makes a nation proud. It'd moronic that anyone cares,
    Relax!

He's starred in The Clinic and an RTÉ-produced dramatisation of the IRA's bombing campaign called 1974: The Year London Blew Up, both prior to The IT Crowd. Also, the first project he created and co-wrote, Moone Boy, is shot and set entirely in the west of Ireland.

So, yes, he has acted here.

And presumably you see no problem with Jeremy Irons being referred to as an Irish actor, since he has lived in Cork for several years now?

The only person getting excited about it is you;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I find the British get *VERY* upset and indignant when the French mistakenly call them American. I've seen this on French tv in reference to musicians mostly (but occasionally actors too).

I actually had a long argument with a French guy who was insisting that the Rolling Stones and U2 were American. He then concluded that 'well they prefer to be referred to as American'... (clearly having had a chat with them personally or something on the subject...)

Likewise, it's not a great idea to call the Belgians French or Dutch and the Austrians are fairly sensitive about being referred to as German.

I realise that it's just a mix-up by the presenter, but it sort of highlights a major deficiency in UK geography lessons that even a well-educated TV presenter can't identify their closest neighbour.
    It's understandable if you're from the US or Australia or wherever as you may be unfamiliar with the geography, but we are the only country with a land boarder with the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

In her defence, Irish/British, they're all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Its strange though. If my job was to stick a mic in front of actors and a guy with a noticeable english accent (who for some reason has been on Irish TV for afew years) came along to be interviewed, I wouldnt make the leap and say "As an Irish actor.........."

Come on he played an Irish character in the IT crowd, he doesnt sound like someone from anywhere in Britain, why say "British actor" unless maybe you're a bit thick.

• Advertisement
Advertisement