Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chris O'Dowd's correction of interviewer who called him "British"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

He's starred in The Clinic and an RTÉ-produced dramatisation of the IRA's bombing campaign called 1974: The Year London Blew Up, both prior to The IT Crowd. Also, the first project he created and co-wrote, Moone Boy, is shot and set entirely in the west of Ireland.

So, yes, he has acted here.

And presumably you see no problem with Jeremy Irons being referred to as an Irish actor, since he has lived in Cork for several years now?

Couldn't give a toss.

So he did work here, I never seen any of them, I did watch the IT crowd and I assumed he got the job because he was mates with fellow Brit and londoner Graham Linehan they formed a friendship when they where introduced by the British talkshow host Grahan Norton or it might have been sir Terry Wogan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

In her defence, Irish/British, they're all the same
    Irish/British/Troll/What ever:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Colmustard wrote: »
    Why would the journo know, he works in Britain, lives in London (for the past 10 years) has he ever acted here??, do you really think a British journo doesn't know where Ireland is,,come-on.

Besides they can have him, I think he is crap.

Ever since I first saw him in the IT Crowd, I've always had him down as the very poor man's Dylan Moran. If it weren't for the rest of the characters in that programme, I probably wouldn't have watched it.:(

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Ever since I first saw him in the IT Crowd, I've always had him down as the very poor man's Dylan Moran. If it weren't for the rest of the characters in that programme, I probably wouldn't have watched it.:(

Snap
    Richard Ayoade is what keeps me there, i think he is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Agricola wrote: »
    Its strange though. If my job was to stick a mic in front of actors and a guy with a noticeable english accent (who for some reason has been on Irish TV for afew years) came along to be interviewed, I wouldnt make the leap and say "As an Irish actor.........."

Come on he played an Irish character in the IT crowd, he doesnt sound like someone from anywhere in Britain, why say "British actor" unless maybe you're a bit thick.

The only thing I can think of to make her sound less unprepared is that she intended to say 'as an actor working in Britain', but got mixed up in the heat of the moment.

That said, Chris handled it well; correcting her with no fuss and getting on with the interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Couldn't give a toss.

So he did work here, I never seen any of them, I did watch the IT crowd and I assumed he got the job because he was mates with fellow Brit and londoner Graham Linehan they formed a friendship when they where introduced by the British talkshow host Grahan Norton or it might have been sir Terry Wogan.
    Seriously, calm down! I don't see why British posters like you get so wound up by Irish people who self identify as Irish!

Seriously, calm down! I don't see why British posters like you get so wound up by Irish people who self identify as Irish!

West British and proud to be more exact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Entertainment 'journalists' and geography clearly aren't a good combination.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Couldn't give a toss.

This seems like a bad troll attempt. Anyway, the Irish are taking over Britain, thats what this shows. This is part of the plan. Next, we introduce black pudding to British breakfasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Why can't you let Irish people like Chris O'Dowd be proud to be Irish then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

This seems like a bad troll attempt. Anyway, the Irish are taking over Britain, thats what this shows. This is part of the plan. Next, we introduce black pudding to British breakfasts.

I think you'll find that they already have black pudding, it's white pud there's a dearth of over there. My brother begs us to devote 10% of our luggage weight allowance to white pud when we go visit him.

Why can't you let Irish people like Chris O'Dowd be proud to be Irish then?

Now now don't get to upset.

Relax.

West Britishness in Irish people is, by an large, anti-Irishness. Its fairly unique in Europe. You dont get Southern French in Spain. Clearly colonisation has a lot to do with it.

Its distinct from being an Anglophile, a term which probably includes Chris O'Dowd and Dara O'Braoin - and me as it happens. Its possible to be an Angophile and like the GAA for instance, to like Cricket and hurling. Basically the West Brit position is an anti position, they tend not to know anything much about Britain, or England, other than what is global about that culture - i.e. the premiership.

And of course the British dont see them as West anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

he has your one that was with him well trained, good nice Irish man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Couldn't give a toss.

For someone who "couldn't give a toss", you certainly are keen to respond to every post that in any way references you.

And, despite your claiming to be "West British and proud", you are actually coming across more Anglophobic than any of the other posters here.

It seems, to you, that Irish people who move to England (Chris O'Dowd, Graham Linehan, Terry Wogan, Graham Norton) must immediately relinquish their Irishness and pledge allegiance to the Crown, as if living in England was something to be spat upon.

If Norton or Wogan regard themself as British, as is my understanding, that is their right and I do not object to it. However, I have also seen both refer to themselves as Irish on many occasions.

Chris O'Dowd, however, does not refer to himself as British and Irish. He is simply Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

'West Brit' is just a stupid slur used by bigoted twats. All it expresses is disgust at other people for not sharing their prejudices. It's like a white racist calling white people names for having black friends, or for listening to a genre of music that's not country and western.

'West Brit' is just a stupid slur used by bigoted twats. All it expresses is disgust at other people for not sharing their prejudices. It's like a white racist calling white people names for having black friends, and listening to a genre of music that's not country and western.

Col Mustard used it himself about himself.

That analogy is bollocks by the way. We would be - historically - the "blacks". So if the term West Brits would be analogous to self hating black, self hating jew etc. If some black guy not just liked "white" music, but hated everything about black music, or culture, that would be similar.

West Brit is not the same as Anglophile, the West Brit hates his culture, but the anglophile can like both. I like Cricket and hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Quorum wrote: »
    Shane McGowan IS British.

Yeah but the posters point is that the majority of British people don't in anyway shape or form accept him as British, he's Irish to them.

Col Mustard used it himself about himself.

That analogy is bollocks by the way. We would be - historically - the "blacks". So if the term West Brits would be analogous to self hating black, self hating jew etc. If some black guy not just liked "white" music, but hated everything about black music, or culture, that would be similar.

West Brit is not the same as Anglophile, the West Brit hates his culture, but the anglophile can like both. I like Cricket and hurling.
    Irish people in Ireland are like blacks in America and the like? Really? Oh you mean "historically"; so you're referring to the way we were abducted and brought here from a different contininent to work as slaves. I'd forgotten about that whole thing alright.

The term west brit isn't just used to describe the sort of anti-Irish Irish person you refer to. It is used about Anglophiles - it's just a derorgratory form of the same thing. Good for you that you aren't a bigoted twat yourself. Now please stop using terms that might make you sound like one ;)

Dont see the post you refer to by Col Mustard. Maybe it was deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

you cant beat Spike Milligans ' correction'
    'I'm F***ing Irish!"
    When a fan asked him for the autograph of the funniest Englishman ever.

(unsourced)

The term West-Brit can be misused, of course. I was replying to Col Mustards use of it, but he is a bit of a troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Irish people in Ireland are like blacks in America and the like? Really? Oh you mean "historically"; so you're referring to the way we were abducted and brought here from a different contininent to work as slaves.

Dont see the post you refer to by Col Mustard. Maybe it was deleted.

Look harder. The upper part of your post is so ignorant it's incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

In denial I think is what you mean.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Look harder. The upper part of your post is so ignorant it's incredible.
    It's not really ignorant, it's just sarcastic: I actually know that Irish people weren't brought here as slaves from a different continent.

It's not really ignorant, it's just sarcastic: I actually know that Irish people weren't brought here as slaves from a different continent.

I think the ignorance is in assuming that the only possible oppression is slavery.

I think the ignorance is in assuming that the only possible oppression is slavery.
    Never suggested that. Just made fun of the idea that Irish people in Ireland are like blacks in America, historically or otherwise.

Never suggested that. Just made fun of the idea that Irish people in Ireland are like blacks in America, historically or otherwise.

Well then you are wrong. Irish people have been oppressed as much, or worse than, American blacks, and were subjected to laws similar to Jim Crow for longer. The only difference is slavery, but slavery is serfdom you dont pay for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I find this man very hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Couldn't give a toss.

Ah, so you just came on here to troll...it's all a bit clearer now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm outraged, I'm going to write a strongly worded email to someone.

Good on ya, add my name to the bottom of it too. Saves me the bother.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

And that merits this thread and makes a nation proud. It'd moronic that anyone cares,

Says the guy with three or four posts in the thread....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Well the Irish are not exactly the best in this regard either. We try and claim and awful lot of people too. You even hear people Wayne Rooney Irish. Should we then be calling Katie Taylor British?
    It's just that globally we have less enemies so to speak than the Brits so people don't mind being called Irish.

i have never heard anyone and i mean anyone claim that wayne rooney is irish.and thank christ for it to.

Youre his nurse?
    Rectal or oral?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

Kinda more cute than hot, but... yeah... *sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

crazygeryy wrote: »

i have never heard anyone and i mean anyone claim that wayne rooney is irish.and thank christ for it to.

He's be more American than Irish with him being fat and useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Bad enough theyve claimed us northerners as their own, dont wanna listen to them doing the same to the southerners, Chris did right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

We claim Obama as Irish for the love of god.
    We can't get bitchy about stuff like this.
    If he's ever involved in some scandal the headlines in britland will be "Irish actor Chris...", that's the issue I'd have with it.

He's a funny guy.

Obama claimed himself to be Irish. There is a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

An easy and understandable mistake. He made his name in Britain after all. Besides, last time I saw him he was an American cop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ireland is very similar to New Zealand in the way that we both care very much about what our larger neighbors think about us whereas the neighbors don't give two f**ks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

English people, like Americans have zero exposure to Irish media in the same way as we do their TV and news. I have a couple of mates from England who I keep in touch with online and they know NOTHING about this country.

Who cares?

Youre his nurse?
    Rectal or oral?

It's all ear thermometers these days, baby.

It's all ear thermometers these days, baby.
    Oh . It was aural so...nice:D

Oh . It was aural so...nice:D

Took me ages to get two fingers in there.

Took me ages to get two fingers in there.
    Yore durty!!!!!!

pm me...please........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

'West Brit' is just a stupid slur used by bigoted twats. All it expresses is disgust at other people for not sharing their prejudices. It's like a white racist calling white people names for having black friends, or for listening to a genre of music that's not country and western.
    wait...there's country and western???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

you cant beat Spike Milligans ' correction'
    'I'm F***ing Irish!"
    When a fan asked him for the autograph of the funniest Englishman ever.

(unsourced)
    wasn't Spike Indian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

dirtyden wrote: »
    Obama claimed himself to be Irish. There is a difference.
    I know but there was that cringe worthy song as well by those Irish lads, I know it's only a bit of craic but we are very guilty of claiming people as ours.
    The journalist was probably just ignorant, whereas we claim people consciously all the time, when Tubridy was interviewing Noel Gallagher a few months back, one of the first questions asked was how Irish do you feel, we do it to the point of being psychotic. Bill O'Reilly, when he was on TLL was the same, so many. I know there's a bit of Irish blood in these people but most won't even pass as plastic paddies so I just feel a bit 'totes whatevs like' about it.

ArtSmart wrote: »
    wasn't Spike Indian?
    Theyre called 'Native American' now dahling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

You're missing the point entirely. This isn't about 'claiming' someone based on their ancestry. It's about an Irish person being called British, to his face, and choosing to correct the person doing so.

She made a mistake, its no big deal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement