Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chris O'Dowd's correction of interviewer who called him "British"

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    She made a mistake, its no big deal.
    I dont think any one is making a big deal about it. The thread started with commentry on how well Chris oDowd dealt with it by NOT MAKING A BIG DEAL ABOUT IT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

7 pages of it. He corrected her, so what? Why bother starting a thread about it?

7 pages of it. He corrected her, so what? Why bother starting a thread about it?
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmm. But you have posted in it at least twice whcih is kind of the point of starting a thread....ummmmm... people click into it and post stuff...ummmm
    What?:confused::P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Ireland is very similar to New Zealand in the way that we both care very much about what our larger neighbors think about us whereas the neighbors don't give two f**ks!

I imagine if America, France, or even Ireland started claiming English notables as their own on a regular basis, the English media would soon give a fook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

crazygeryy wrote: »
    i have never heard anyone and i mean anyone claim that wayne rooney is irish.and thank christ for it to.

and now you have :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Ireland is very similar to New Zealand in the way that we both care very much about what our larger neighbors think about us whereas the neighbors don't give two f**ks!
    Must be a similar relationship to that between the UK and the USA then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

The journalist was probably just ignorant, whereas we claim people consciously all the time, when Tubridy was interviewing Noel Gallagher a few months back, one of the first questions asked was how Irish do you feel, we do it to the point of being psychotic.

Noel Gallagher is very proud of his Irish roots. He played in Croker before at underage level and will probably tune in to support Mayo in the upcoming All Ireland final.

"There is no English blood in me, but I don't need to be wearing the green, white and gold on St Patrick's Day to prove it to anyone," he says.

"I spent summers in Ireland all through the '70s and most of the '80s, bringing in the hay with my uncles in Charlestown in Mayo. I loved it and every time I go back it just feels natural to be there."

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm. But you have posted in it at least twice whcih is kind of the point of starting a thread....ummmmm... people click into it and post stuff...ummmm
    What?:confused::P

Still doesnt change the fact that its a pointless thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Must be a similar relationship to that between the UK and the USA then!

I think they just look on each other with a mutual superior contempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

She made a mistake, its no big deal.

Dont like it, dont read it but stop thread-spoiling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think they just look on each other with a mutual superior contempt.
    Not when the British blather on about a "special relationship" while the US is laughing at them!

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Dont like it, dont read it but stop thread-spoiling.

Its not a thread that you can spoil now is it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Sligo people, always claiming Roscommon celebrities as their own! Wait until a dead, drugged up hooker is found in his swimming pool, he'll be back to being a Rossie then!

Does that read as hilarious to everyone else as it does to me?

Its not a thread that you can spoil now is it.

Mod:
    Dont post here again.

Ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

mosstin wrote: »
    Does that read as hilarious to everyone else as it does to me?

Yes!!! OMG Yeah!!!

I think he did that on purpose though...

Ok.

Bye now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I don't think they intentionally try to claim anyone. It's a sad state of affairs really but many Britons assume that Ireland is still part of the empire. I've met countless people over their who think exactly that, educated people but still ignorant in this regard for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Hide the Rum

I can't find it now but Cillian Murphy was being interviewed with Tom Hardy for Inception and the guy goes "So with you both being British actors...." and Cillian said "No, I'm Irish." and the guy goes "Yeah but like.... British??", Cillian had to correct him again. Funny stuff. I think the interviewer was American.

• Advertisement

I can't find it now but Cillian Murphy was being interviewed with Tom Hardy for Inception and the guy goes "So with you both being British actors...." and Cillian said "No, I'm Irish." and the guy goes "Yeah but like.... British??", Cillian had to correct him again. Funny stuff. I think the interviewer was American.
    This

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Still doesn't change the fact that this is a pointless comment.

• I don't think they intentionally try to claim anyone. It's a sad state of affairs really but many Britons assume that Ireland is still part of the empire. I've met countless people over their who think exactly that, educated people but still ignorant in this regard for some reason.

This.

A lot of British people think Ireland is still part of Britain. My boyfriend gets this all the time. When he corrects people and says 'actually I'm Irish', they usually get all huffy, as if he's being really pedantic! I think they think it's the same as being Welsh or Scottish - they don't get that it really is a different country with a different passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Well the Irish are not exactly the best in this regard either. We try and claim and awful lot of people too. You even hear people Wayne Rooney Irish. Should we then be calling Katie Taylor British?
    It's just that globally we have less enemies so to speak than the Brits so people don't mind being called Irish.

Who calls Wayne Rooney Irish?

Dave147 wrote: »
    Who calls Wayne Rooney Irish?

We've established this. Dara O Briain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

I couldn't quite catch what he was on about. Anyone have the subtitled version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

IrishAm wrote: »
    Noel Gallagher is very proud of his Irish roots. He played in Croker before at underage level and will probably tune in to support Mayo in the upcoming All Ireland final.

Whenever he's in Ireland he says he's Irish, whenever he's in England he says he's English.

At least be consistent like Dermot O'Leary and Shane McGowan lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

Colmustard wrote: »
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes
    Good lord, who gives a fukc. Him being an Irish actor does absolutely nothing to improve my life.

Chris O'Dowd gave a fcuk and I'm sure he doesn't give a sh1t about improving your life and was just speaking his mind

Whenever he's in Ireland he says he's Irish, whenever he's in England he says he's English.

At least be consistent like Dermot O'Leary and Shane McGowan lol.

I've never heard Noel Gallagher say the words, "I am Irish". From the many interviews I've seen and read of him, he is an English-born person who is proud of - but not overly defensive about - his Irish roots.

Asked about whether his Irish roots are important to him by Ryan Tubridy, Gallagher replied

"I get asked that a lot. It just is. I don't attach any importance to it... There's no English blood in me, I don't have to prove that to anyone... My ancestors are from here [Ireland]. That's a fact."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Thanks for posting that, but I'd to wait till the end of it to hear it :p From five mins on for anyone else looking.

When on holiday I've been told that I sound British. I have a very neutral accent, so I don't think anything of it. I think unless you sound like a leprechaun or any of the cast of Darby O' Gill, it's an easy mistake to make. I'm in no way offended by it. I don't believe the British are trying to 'claim' our best either, it's a bit of a bitter notion to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Bleedin' Brits!!

Coming over here, taking our land and now our actors.

/parody

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Not to invoke heedless Anglophobia, but Chris O'Dowd correction of this interviewer (47 seconds in) when she calls him a "British actor" is the epitome of how it should be done.

Concise, firm and discreet.

But whats the point of this thread? she said British by mistake and he corrected her and said Irish, so what :confused:

Are we that insecure?

LordSutch wrote: »
    But whats the point of this thread? she said British by mistake and he corrected her and said Irish, so what :confused:

What's the point of any thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I found the furore over Katie Taylor being referred to as British on *one* British newspaper to be quite cringey and undignified. I'm not embarrassed to be Irish or anything ott like that, but I do find that kinda stuff embarrassing. Her father is English anyway so it's not like they were a hundred per cent wrong. It was being referred to as the Brits claiming her as theirs when again, it was just one paper. And it prompted stupid anti British crap.

Wrt to Americans, I'd imagine many assume Ireland is part of Britain - guess if they've no reason to educate themselves on an area so far removed from them, why would they? It's not like I'm fully briefed on all geographical/political relationships between territories in close proximity.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Firegaurd

jellygems wrote: »
    Good man Chris, what is with the British claiming all the good ones.... I bet they wouldnt call Shane McGowan British :rolleyes:

Their loss, Shane McGowan is a genius

Madam_X wrote: »
    I found the furore over Katie Taylor being referred to as British on *one* British newspaper to be quite cringey and undignified. I'm not embarrassed to be Irish or anything ott like that, but I do find that kinda stuff embarrassing. Her father is English anyway so it's not like they were a hundred per cent wrong. It was being referred to as the Brits claiming her as theirs when again, it was just one paper. And it prompted stupid anti British crap

It's insulting for a journalist not to know where a boxer of Katie Taylor's magnitude is from, regardless of whether they thought she was British, Italian or otherwise. But don't let that stop you from jumping on the 'Irish bitter about Britain' brigade.

Can't an Irish person ever disapprove about anything British without having that old chestnut flung in their face? Most people have moved on and it's not always about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Sorry but y'all can't have Obama. You can take Andrew Jackson, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Madam_X wrote: »
    Wrt to Americans, I'd imagine many assume Ireland is part of Britain - guess if they've no reason to educate themselves on an area so far removed from them, why would they? It's not like I'm fully briefed on all geographical/political relationships between territories in close proximity.
    Indeed, I can understand the reasons for them "not knowing", however, it is only polite to correct someone if they make a mistake. Otherwise how will they ever know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Just to play devil's advocate here for a minute:

The interviewer didn't call Chris "a British actor".

She called him "a sort-of British actor", while talking to him about his experience of going to work in America, where they couldn't care less whether you're British/Irish/Australian/New Zealand coz the yanks think they're all the same anyway.

In other words, I think she meant "as a British-based (although not actually British) actor..." but that would have been too wordy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Give the Hebrew subtitles on that part of the clip, and the interviewer's accent, I think it's safe to say the interviewer was probably Israeli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

No! Americans quite understand that Ireland is separate from England. Many of us make that connection with Ireland, in the sense that we fought against the British colonial rule, but now maintain close alliances with them. Now, many Americans may not realize that Wales is small country or that there is a Welsh language.

What Americans can be guilty of is freezing Ireland in time. Or, making a claim to being Irish when they have no significant contemporary connection to the island.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Just to play devil's advocate here for a minute:

The interviewer didn't call Chris "a British actor".

She called him "a sort-of British actor", while talking to him about his experience of going to work in America, where they couldn't care less whether you're British/Irish/Australian/New Zealand coz the yanks think they're all the same anyway.

In other words, I think she meant "as a British-based (although not actually British) actor..." but that would have been too wordy.

I hate when words get in the way of saying things.

LordSutch wrote: »

Are we that insecure?

The point of the thread WAS 'so what' in so much as Chris O'Dowd simply politely corrected the journalist and moved on thus proving that we are no longer insecure...sheesh...

Bloody hell, if she'd have called him a French actor, he'd have corrected her then too!! IT'S NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING BRITISH, LET IT GO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

I've never heard Noel Gallagher say the words, "I am Irish". From the many interviews I've seen and read of him, he is an English-born person who is proud of - but not overly defensive about - his Irish roots.

Asked about whether his Irish roots are important to him by Ryan Tubridy, Gallagher replied

"I get asked that a lot. It just is. I don't attach any importance to it... There's no English blood in me, I don't have to prove that to anyone... My ancestors are from here [Ireland]. That's a fact."
    although they dont get on with him dad [mine] used to be friends with noel and liams dad at the irish social centre.
    back when they got on the lads were ocasional visitors there to; it used to be a quality social centre back then [last time had gone it was full of old irish who treated us like sht because the brother in law has a posh norwich voice but he has close irish roots to],liam and noel were submerged in irish culture like many of us children of traditional irish parents.

have never got this bullocks about 'us brits' claiming people all the time,the media doesnt represent the actions and beliefs of those of us who live here.
    people project what they want onto other people to try and validate what they think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think there was a Canadian actor mistaken for an american one time too.

Whats the world coming too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Well, if someone called you British and you are Irish, would you correct them?

I was away recently in Asia, and someone over there said something like "Oh shur you are British..." straight away I corrected them in jest "Not British, am Irish". They were a little taken aback - like they didnt know the difference - just because we all speak English.

Tis educating people!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Dalken

If u close your eyes he kinda sounds like Michael O Leary with a few pints in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Oh fair enough he corrected her, but re the Katie Taylor thing: there was all this rage across social media, and silly anti British sentiment. If people view the Telegraph's error as bad form (and it is) there is a more dignified way of expressing it. And why drag "the Brits" into it when it was one journalist? I don't subscribe to the self loathing Irish stuff you see a good bit here, but I think claims of "the Brits claiming whats not theirs" because of one persons error, is just the other side of the same coin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Remember Samuel L. Jackson V Kate Thornton debacle over Colin Farrell

Kate: What’s it like working with Colin, ‘cos he is just so hot in the UK
    right now?

Samuel: He’s pretty hot in the US too.

Kate: Yeah! but he’s one of our own!

Samuel: Isn’t he from Ireland?

Kate: Yeah, but we claim him ‘cos Ireland is beside us.

Samuel: You see that’s your problem right there. You British keep claiming
    people that don’t belong to you. We had that problem in America too – it was
    called slavery.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Glitter_star94

Well the Irish are not exactly the best in this regard either. We try and claim and awful lot of people too. You even hear people Wayne Rooney Irish. Should we then be calling Katie Taylor British?
    It's just that globally we have less enemies so to speak than the Brits so people don't mind being called Irish.
    Who's an enemy to britain, who ireland don't have?

Advertisement