Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair Quotation?

Options
  • 08-09-2012 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if any of you would have any experience in this field. I'm looking to just get a simple repair job on my netbook and the price I was quoted today at a place around the corner seemed a bit ridiculous.

Anyway, the only major problems with it are the fact that the wire connecting the LCD panel to the motherboard seems to have come loose, so the screen will only work at certain angles. That and a couple of screws are missing from underneath so the actual casing of the laptop itself is coming off at one corner of it. I was quoted €80 and 3 working days for this to be fixed. Realistic, or being ripped off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I was wondering if any of you would have any experience in this field. I'm looking to just get a simple repair job on my netbook and the price I was quoted today at a place around the corner seemed a bit ridiculous.

Anyway, the only major problems with it are the fact that the wire connecting the LCD panel to the motherboard seems to have come loose, so the screen will only work at certain angles. That and a couple of screws are missing from underneath so the actual casing of the laptop itself is coming off at one corner of it. I was quoted €80 and 3 working days for this to be fixed. Realistic, or being ripped off?

There is a point where its not worth someone's time. Seems reasonablish - I'd be thinking more like €50 - but I'd do it myself if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Did you pay much for the netbook? How old is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Did you pay much for the netbook? How old is it?

I paid about €185, it was on offer at Argos. It's around a year and a half old now I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I paid about €185, it was on offer at Argos. It's around a year and a half old now I'd say.

Take it back to Argos then. Should last longer than that - did you damage it yourself at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Take it back to Argos then. Should last longer than that - did you damage it yourself at all?

Warranty would be void now since I unscrewed the back of the case to take a look at the innards of the netbook itself to get a good look at it. I don't mind spending the cash to fix it myself, I just want a reasonable price. If anybody here knows reputable places with good prices in Dublin they're welcome to share them here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Warranty would be void now since I unscrewed the back of the case to take a look at the innards of the netbook itself to get a good look at it. I don't mind spending the cash to fix it myself, I just want a reasonable price. If anybody here knows reputable places with good prices in Dublin they're welcome to share them here.

TBH €80 doesn't sound too unreasonable. Whether you paid €180 or €1800 for it, the technician sill has to spend as much time and effort repairing the thing and then has to guarantee it against the same fault for a period of time. As with all cheap electronics it's often more economical to replace them than have them fixed.

Advertisement