Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed trap Dublin road Drogheda

Options
  • 08-09-2012 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

Just past deepforde coming into Drogheda this morning coming around corner there is a a speed sign reducing speed to 50..10 metres past sign...white van.....id say he nabbed hundreds including myself......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Grrrr.. what time this morning was it ? Came in that road myself this morning around the 10.30am mark.. will be dreading the postman coming for the next 2 weeks so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

When I was starting to drive, I hated that part of the road, but now it's second nature to reduce speed when coming up to Stameen. Anyone who lives in the area should know that it drops going into town at that point. I know whenever I go down to 50 though, there's always one idiot who decides to drive up my backside in an attempt to make me continue at 60 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

When I was starting to drive, I hated that part of the road, but now it's second nature to reduce speed when coming up to Stameen. Anyone who lives in the area should know that it drops going into town at that point. I know whenever I go down to 50 though, there's always one idiot who decides to drive up my backside in an attempt to make me continue at 60 :rolleyes:

Same here.
    But I love when they overtake me and then get caught at the southgate car park lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭FairCity12

I got caught at Stameen a few weeks ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

CMpunked wrote: »
    Same here.
    But I love when they overtake me and then get caught at the southgate car park lights.

Speaking off, I had an instance of two idiots yesterday within seconds of each other. Driving past the garage at the train station towards town. A car drives out in front of me from that road which leads to Sacred Heart, missing me by inches. Speeds down the lane that leads into Scotch Hall, stops at the lights....and as soon as they go green, pulls out to go forward and nearly hits the car at the front of the queue as well. A few seconds later, I've gotten up to the traffic lights myself....and another car pulls out from the Scotch Hall lane in front of me, and nearly slams into me. Two idiots doing the same move within seconds of each other :rolleyes:

[/vent]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Seen that gatso at 9.45am this morning very well stuck into the ditch completely unmarked entrapment or shooting fish in a barrel, would agree with OP i would say he got 95% of cars this morning, its a wide road and you have no chance of slowing down to 50klm when you turn the bend.
    Thank fook I was heading south

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

macadam wrote: »
    Seen that gatso at 9.45am this morning very well stuck into the ditch completely unmarked entrapment or shooting fish in a barrel, would agree with OP i would say he got 95% of cars this morning, its a wide road and you have no chance of slowing down to 50klm when you turn the bend.

FYI they take pictures going both ways ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

This is unfortunately true....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

I did know that but I was under the speed limit and seen them in plenty of time, but you wouldnt see them coming into town, and the camera is in the rear of the van, and it can only be set up for one lane.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Very hard to spot, but once you seen them once, you'll be weary of the spot for the future.

Another spot I have seen in the area is just past the second entrance of grange rath, opposite the new church. Once you know, then you'll always check your speed in that area, which kinda goes with the logic of telling people where they are. I live in grange rath, so by telling more people about it, I am decreasing the chances that someone might speed in my locality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

They had a checkpoint in almost the same spot last night, looked like they were doing tax and insurance and I think there might have been some customs guys there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

They have a new 12 reg high roof transit.
    It's parked up at Smiths garage on north road most evenings.
    A transit outside a ford showroom, the clever feckers.
    It's also placed in Tullyallen village just past the old petrol pumps catching traffic coming into the village from grangegeeth direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

There was a lot of speed checks and checkpoints around town this weekend. I went through 3 yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Yeah will be gutted if i get a ticket..was going 58 in the 60....and then slowed to about 52 when i saw the van...cycled by there this morning. he must have been parked about 5 metres from the accident on black spot sign which obstructed view as well. If i do get nabbed i might well challenge this one. Need to read up more on this entrapment lark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Bryan you should be fine as the speedos in cars are off by a few km.

I actively dislike these vans - they have nothing to do with road safety and everything to do with generating revenue.

In the UK don't some of the sat nav apps update with their locations - would be great for Ireland as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Unless there was a cop in the car with you, saying "Go on, speed up, show me what this baby can do!", then you can't claim "entrapment".

"Entrapment" as a legal defence is the same as saying "Well, I didn't actually intend to break the law, but this police officer suggested that I should, so I did." The person claiming "entrapment" is trying to convince the judge or jury that the breach of the law wouldn't have occurred were it not for the actions of the police.

This is clearly not the case for any of those complaining about being caught breaking the speed limit at any given place where lots of people break the speed limit.

What has occurred here is 'A good choice of location for a speed trap', not 'Entrapment'.

What has occurred here is 'A good choice of location for a speed trap', not 'Entrapment'.
    so that's why u parked there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

so that's why u parked there!

Haha!
    No, not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

The Guvnor wrote: »
    they have nothing to do with road safety and everything to do with generating revenue.
    If the state can actually generate (badly needed) revenue by catching people breaking the law then I'm all for it!

But it's simply not the case. They tell you what the limit is and tell you where they will be checking. If you're still foolish enough to get caught then you have no one to blame but yourself. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

There's a really irritating one on Rathmullan Rd that got me, it parks at the bottom of the hill and catches people that gravity speeds up coming down. I got done for 58 (limit there is 50). And they say it's not a money making exercise...

On a side-note, referring to previous posts i think if you're not going too badly over and you see the van and slow well down immediately you will generally get away with it. I know i did it once on the duleek road and once on the balbriggan road where i was going somewhere between 5 and 10 over the limit. Just don't quote me on that in court ;)

• Advertisement

I got done for 58 (limit there is 50). And they say it's not a money making exercise...
    You were caught at 116% of the speed limit... what speed would you have had to be doing before you would say 'well they're not just doing it for the money. I was actually travelling too fast' ????

Scotty # wrote: »
    You were caught at 116% of the speed limit... what speed would you have had to be doing before you would say 'well they're not just doing it for the money. I was actually travelling too fast' ????

Firstly 116% of 50 is not 58

Secondly u could roll down rathmullen at 50km hr. Harsh to be done there imo.

Hmm ok... so what is 116% of 50 Einstein???
    Secondly u could roll down rathmullen at 50km hr.
    Irrelevant. Actually no, it makes the bend at the bottom of the hill even more dangerous and further justifies the placement of a speed trap there.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Secondly u could roll down rathmullen at 50km hr. Harsh to be done there imo.

I concur... I'm sure some of the kids from Hillview/Highlanes have whizzed passed on their bicycles at over 50km/h!!
    ... however 116% of 50 is indeed 58!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

The point is that they put it there knowing if you're doing 50 at the top, you will probably gain some speed without realising it and then they have you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

so what is 116% of 50 Einstein???

Are we talking base 10 or base 9? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The point is that they put it there knowing if you're doing 50 at the top, you will probably gain some speed without realising it and then they have you.

Then compensate for the pick up, for goodness sake. It's not rocket science to keep it at 50.

Oh to be the man who has never exceeded the speed limit...

As for raising much needed revenue well that is a whole other can of worms.

positron wrote: »
    Are we talking base 10 or base 9? :cool:

Haha! What a great defence... "but your honor, I thought the speed limits were base-9!!"

Wound't matter here though coz 58=53 in base 9. Still over :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Getting closer to 50 though and one can question would you get a ticket for 53 or even 51 in a 50?

Fines I don't like but can live with - points system I dislike - would prefer the american system - larger fines for higher speeds.

Advertisement