Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed trap Dublin road Drogheda

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

tend to be on the Duleek road just up from the cement factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

The Guvnor wrote: »
    - would prefer the american system - larger fines for higher speeds.
    I'm in favour of the points in general. Couldn't agree more on the larger fines though. In France I think its €750 with 6 weeks to pay or kiss your car goodbye. People might think twice about rolling down the hill towards the playground at 58KPH if we had fines like that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

In the US they do a max fine in some states of $1500 irrespective of the speed so out in the desert or whereever you can do 200mph and if you've a car than go 200mph then a $1500 fine should not be much of an issue.

58 in a 50 over there they'd probably let you go, too much paper work!

France sounds a bit heavy handed and given how the french drive they must make a fortune! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Scotty # wrote: »
    I'm in favour of the points in general. Couldn't agree more on the larger fines though. In France I think its €750 with 6 weeks to pay or kiss your car goodbye. People might think twice about rolling down the hill towards the playground at 58KPH if we had fines like that here.

Speed ramps at the bottom of that hill would be more effective in my opinion. There is about 200-300m between the bottom and entrance to the playground. They work well on the Bryanstown cross route (rat run)

Getting closer to 50 though and one can question would you get a ticket for 53 or even 51 in a 50?

Fines I don't like but can live with - points system I dislike - would prefer the american system - larger fines for higher speeds.

Wud agree Guvnor. Don't like the system myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

In the US they do a max fine in some states of $1500 irrespective of the speed so out in the desert or whereever you can do 200mph and if you've a car than go 200mph then a $1500 fine should not be much of an issue.
    I've actually driven through a lot of the desert in the states, from California right through Mojave, to Vegas and then to Arizona over 2 weeks. Fantastic experience and would highly recommend it.

Death Valley was 48C though. Don't go in the summer! Had to keep the roof up at all times. If you leave the car for any more than 5 mins you have to put the reflectors on the windows or you won't be able to touch the interior when you get back. Almost ran out of petrol in it too. The place shuts shuts down for the summer and the petrol station was closed for renovations. Had to drive 60 miles with the light on to get to the next one. We were warned not to leave the car if we ran out coz we'd be dead in an hour. :eek: The roads are so straight it can take you 20 mins travelling at 85mph to reach the car coming towards you. I was driving a Sebring and with the roads so quiet during the summer it's hard not to put the foot down. There are water tanker trailers parked along the road every few miles but it's not for drinking. Only for radiator.

Most of the posted speed limits 85mph. I didn't see any speedys but there are plenty of signs warning you of aircraft speedys. No idea what the fines are though.

One thing that is very noticable when driving in the states is the difference between Irish truck drivers and US truck drivers. Irish ones tend to drive as if they are in a regular car where as US truckers tend to drive as if there is a bomb on board that can go off if they knock it about. They are extremely courteous to other road users compared to Irish truckers. They crawl down all hills with their hazard lights on. Not sure if that's regulation or not?

In the states as well, all the speedlimits are stepped up and down gradually, 85,75,65,55,45... you can't go straight from high to low like the way you can here which I think is a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Oh to be the man who has never exceeded the speed limit....

Nobody is saying we never exceed the speed limit. If we do, and we get caught, we just soak it up and get on with things without crying "entrapment" "money racket" "sneaky hidden" or "trap".....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

58 in a 50 over there they'd probably let you go, too much paper work!

In the US? You are totally wrong. In MASS, Maryland, and Conn I've seen, or heard of, them pulling drivers over for 27 on a 25, and 33 in a 30. Full dressing down and a ticket.

Do we agree there is variations upon a theme when breaking the speed limit?

As for US I suppose it depends on the state.

Sounds like good fun Scotty though the warning light scenario probably got a bit tense!:)

The step up and step down is a much better system but possibly easier on longer straighter stretches of road.

• Advertisement

Oh to be the man who has never exceeded the speed limit....

Nobody is saying we never exceed the speed limit. If we do, and we get caught, we just soak it up and get on with things without crying "entrapment" "money racket" "sneaky hidden" or "trap".....:rolleyes:
    who is we?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

who is we?

Most of the non-bryangiggsy posters on this thread, as far as I can see!

^ You'd be surprised.

I think you will find the 'we' might not have the majority in this thread if you do a straw poll!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

^ You'd be surprised.

I think you will find the 'we' might not have the majority in this thread if you do a straw poll!:)

Well it is true that I didn't go back and count. Did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

In the UK don't some of the sat nav apps update with their locations - would be great for Ireland as well.

If you have a smartphone download "trapster", plenty of users on there who update live sightings.

Nice one Marlow - Thanks!

Well it is true that I didn't go back and count. Did you?

Of course not - the foundation of any good straw poll is to base it on ones opinion and assume the majority concur!

Most of the non-bryangiggsy posters on this thread, as far as I can see!

U should have went to Specsavers!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

So a few weeks on from this.. any sign of speeding tickets arriving in the post for anyone ?

Not sure if i can relax fully just yet, still waiting for something to arrive with the postman

Advertisement