Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Information on UK relative

• 08-09-2012 10:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭

I am trying to trace someone in the UK. I have a Christian name, date of birth & town. They were born in 1978.

Which website would be best for this? I see that they charge & only give a hint of whether the information is there before you pay.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

FreeBMD has quite recent records so you could check for a possible birth there, but you would need to order a cert to check the details - other than the index, recent details like this will not usually be available online.

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I don't think any "records" are on line for years as recent as 1978, all to do with the data protection laws.

FreeBMD is a very useful site but again, I don't think that they have such recent records.

Possible records that might be useful would be the electoral lists for each area, but if you don't have a surname I think you will have great difficulty especially if you cannot visit the area yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The records for that area only cover pre1974.

Any other suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Discodog wrote: »
    The records for that area only cover pre1974.

Any other suggestions?
    Not from me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You might try looking for them on something like friends reunited.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 nuffsaid

Hi

I think the FreeBMD records are still being transcribed up until 1983.

There was a major re-organisation of registration districts in England in 1974. Some districts were amalgamated with others. For example :- Fylde was a registration district until 1974, after which it was included with Blackpool - as Blackpool & Fylde. On FreeBMD it is shown as "Fylde (to Mar 1974)" for records after that date look in "Blackpool & Fylde (from June 1974)".

Lots of registration districts disappeared in Mar 1974!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Someone born in 1978 would be 34 or 35 now and it is likely that they use social media.
    So facebook/twitter is most likely source.

I would doubt that someone of that age would be in friendsreunited as that site has been dying a death for some time now and someone under 35 would not use it now or in the past IMO.

Short of that you really need to do some detective work. What public records would a person of that age have left?

Phone books may reveal that person or their parents living in the same area.
    If it is a small town or village then contacting someone in the local community (friendly postoffice for example) may help? They may remember the family and offer some clues.
    However, the more common the name the harder it will be to find this person....espectially if for some reason they dont want to be found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Play around with this site

http://www.192.com

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Discodog wrote: »
    I am trying to trace someone in the UK. I have a Christian name, date of birth & town. They were born in 1978.

That would be enough to find their parents names on ancestry.com as well as where he was born. Then it's to the phone book and see if anyone matches in that area.

Advertisement