Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco tv stopped working

Options
  • 08-09-2012 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi, I bought a tv from tesco 3 years ago (technika tv/DVD combo with iPod connection) a few months ago the DVD player stopped working which I didn't mind but now the iPod connection no longer works and the sound is starting to go .
    Do I have any rights regarding this or is it too late to get it replaced/ repaired?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Hi, I bought a tv from tesco 3 years ago (technika tv/DVD combo with iPod connection) a few months ago the DVD player stopped working which I didn't mind but now the iPod connection no longer works and the sound is starting to go .
    Do I have any rights regarding this or is it too late to get it replaced/ repaired?
    Thanks

Three years seems a long time for a cheap TV. Its up to you to prove the fault was there from manufacture at this point. Since it was working for 3 years that would be hard to prove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

This one would be borderline - The item must work for a reasonable time. I'd write to Tesco stating that you don't believe three years is a reasonable amount of time for a TV to work. Enclose a copy of the receipt. See how you go from there. You could take it to small claims if they refuse but it may be throwing good money after bad at this stage.

Others may disagree - see what the consensus is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'd say at this stage, Small Claims is the only option.

You'll need to get a letter from Tesco anyway, saying that they will not give you replacement etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭i_hate_rain

The tv was €219 for a 19". I think it's a lot of money for it to stop working after 3 years of infrequent usage. I might ring the store today and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

wmpdd3 wrote: »

You'll need to get a letter from Tesco anyway, saying that they will not give you replacement etc.

WHAT???? - Without even checking with Tesco first. the SCC will throw it back in your face.

Only an utter eejit would follow this ridiculous advice.

As in any product issue, bring it to the store you purchased it in, (or contact the warranty helpline if there is one) bring the receipt and see if there's anything that can be done. It will have to be a manufacturing fault for a claim to succeed, but its not unknown for faults to appear after 3 years that shouldn't appear.

Nespresso have a 3 year warranty and mine gave up with 2 months of warranty left. It was collected, repaired and delivered back within 10 days. The item had developed a short circuit and it was deemed to be under warranty.

• Advertisement

sandin wrote: »
    WHAT???? - Without even checking with Tesco first. the SCC will throw it back in your face.

Only an utter eejit would follow this ridiculous advice.

As in any product issue, bring it to the store you purchased it in, (or contact the warranty helpline if there is one) bring the receipt and see if there's anything that can be done. It will have to be a manufacturing fault for a claim to succeed, but its not unknown for faults to appear after 3 years that shouldn't appear.

Nespresso have a 3 year warranty and mine gave up with 2 months of warranty left. It was collected, repaired and delivered back within 10 days. The item had developed a short circuit and it was deemed to be under warranty.

How would he get a letter from Tesco without checking with them first?

Whats this manufacturing fault thing people are now coming up with? Manufacturing as opposed to what? As opposed to damage by the customer? That's never covered. If you are talking about wear and tear the item also has to be reasonable durable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Whats this manufacturing fault thing people are now coming up with? Manufacturing as opposed to what?

If a defective component was used and it caused a problem in lots of TVs.

Kind of like the red ring of death Xboxs had a few years ago. There were so many of them Microsoft extended the warranty. I have a Samsung fridge that developed an issue after 3 years. Samsung sent a guy out to fix it with no hassle as it was a problem part they'd used in putting the fridges together and it affected lots of fridges.

As long as the fault isn't caused by the consumer it doesn't matter what the issue is - the seller has to deal with it within a reasonable time. The guarantee (in the sense it's generally used in this forum) period is simply an extension of your statutory rights for a period of time.

I'm quite conservative in how long I expect things to last. Others, hopefully including a SmCC registrar, may very well judge a reasonable time to be over three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

wmpdd3 wrote: »

What I meant was, I cant see Tesco offering a remedy after 3 years, you could be lucky but I doubt it.

You will need evidence of Tesco saying they won't offer any of the 3 R for the SCC claim, that's why you would need to bring the TV to a store and get this evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,672 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can't see you getting anything positive in your favour.

Warranty is usually for 1 yr. 3yrs far too long. Plus a dodgy brand at the best of times.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »

Warranty is usually for 1 yr. 3yrs far too long. Plus a dodgy brand at the best of times.

Warranty/Guarantee/Dirty Knee - has no* bearing on your statutory rights.

*Without getting into a detailed and half arsed legal discussion that would add nothing to this thread or forum. Read the act if you want more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

NIMAN wrote: »

All of which has no bearing on your consumer rights.

Advertisement