Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Come hell or high water

Options
  • 08-09-2012 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Hey folks been a long time lurker of this forum and decided today would be the day I put it all out there. Fair play to all of you who contribute on this forum, a lot of inspiring threads on here. Apologies in advance for long intro and please fell free to criticise, advise, and judge, I can take it ;)

Why today ?

365 days from now all going to plan I will be competing in Ironman Wales. I know to a lot of you guys that's no big deal as your fit and have competed in a few ironman comps and training for years. I am 33 and pretty much a couch potato. I am a little active on the cycling front having just done the Wicklow 100 and Rok this year etc but my times are nothing special and above that done very little else. Last Christmas I was 17 stone, height is 5ft 8 so as you can imagine wasn't exactly healthy. In March just gone I spent a week in hospital with ridiculously high blood pressure, so I needed a serious overhaul. Since then I had dropped to 14 stone. I have slowly built up my training and am happy with the direction its going. My training has consisted of cycling, running and gym work. This morning I weighed in at 14st 5lbs, Not sure where the 5lbs has come back on but I know I have lost in inches since I weighed 14 so I am sure it will drop again with continued training.

Why take on the Ironman ?

It's always been something I admired. I love the idea of pushing yourself to the absolute limit of your ability and when you feel your done you push even more. I think I have that determination in me to push on and I want to find out. I know its something a lot of people do not have the determination, dedication or stamina to complete. When I mention the training regime to people they think I am nuts and doubt I will ever complete one, I love this makes me so much more determined.

Furthermore my 11 year old niece was born perfect and due to negligence at birth suffered with hydrocephalus, blindness, epilepsy and was wheel chair bound. She passed away suddenly 6 weeks ago. I had been thinking for a long time of something major I could do to help give back to everyone who had been helping her in her life so when she did pass it became clear that this was no longer an option it's just something I must complete. I cannot even begin to describe to people how focused and passionate I am to get myself into shape for this. Along with my sister we have just set up a foundation in her name to raise money for kids in similar positions as she was. Since I have decided to take on this challenge I have received so much sponsorship personally to help me with my challenge, ranging from a TT bike from a store, running and swimming gear, swim coach, personal trainer, conditioning coach, physiotherapy sessions all free. The list is endless of how generous people have been and I cannot thank them enough. I will be opening a website / blog soon so all sponsors and help will be mentioned at this stage.

So whats my plan:

The conditions on all this help is simple. Not just to complete the challenge but to actually try and properly compete in it. Time is yet to be decided. My experience from day one to race day will be done as a coach potato - ironman style project with all stats, training, photo's and vitals recorded and put out there for everyone to see. I will be pretty much putting my life on hold for the next 12 months. I get to do 2 big things in all of this. Firstly finally get myself healthy and back to where I should be. Secondly raise much needed cash for kids who already have huge uphill battles in life and need certain aids to just help make their lives easier, while building my niece's foundation.

Training Program:

From now to February I will be concentrating solely on working up my core strength and dropping my weight. Come Feb I want to be at a level that my Ironman program can proceed without any hitches, and I am not in danger of burning out or getting injured. I will be taking on some smaller events to give myself little goals along the way.

So whats peoples opinions ?
    What time should I realistically look to complete ?
    Any advice or suggestions ?

Now lets get training :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Forget about times for now.
    Train consistently
    Learn to listen to your body
    Build the foundations then a brick at a time
    An IM is approx 10% swim 50% bike 40% run
    Read lots but don't be a sheep
    Embrace early mornings

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Ok as and from tomorrow I will note all training undertaken, times, distance etc.

The last few months of training has been similar to this weeks so to give you an idea of where I am beginning here is the weeks training:

Monday: early morning 5k run, took it easy 27 mins. Evening 40k cycle in 1hr 15 mins

Tuesday: afternoon: 8k run 43 mins , wanted to try focus on a nice steady pace, felt good all the way around, heart never seems to be under pressure but legs can get tired.

Wednesday: met up with triathlete friend in gym to go over a strengthening program, get body measurements and put me through a session. Did a solid 1 hour of intense supersets with 30 sec breaks between each rep of supersets, focusing on overall strength, legs, upper body, core etc. This was much tougher than I imagined and opened my eyes of where I need to be at.

Thursday: 50k recovery cycle in 1hr 50 mins followed by a 5k run in 26 mins. Felt very stiff after gym session but loosened up nicely after cycle, got tired on run after 2k but pushed on and finished strong.

Friday: Woke up very stiff so decided to take a rest day.

Saturday: 2 x 5k runs. Really working on pacing as I really am not a good runner, weight certainly not helping so hoping it will get easier as I drop weight. first 5k done in 29 mins, 15 minutes break for stretching, core work etc then another 5k in 25 mins. Again heart never feels too bad but legs give in, Is it a matter of just getting the miles into them or is it all a mental battle that I just need to get on top of ?

Sunday: rest day

So that has been roughly my weekly routine for last 6-8 weeks. Things will be changing this week, I will be more focusing on strength work, weight loss, core. Also meeting swim coach this week so will be bringing that into my timetable.

Just to give you an idea of physically where I am here were my measurements on Wednesday:

Height: 5ft 8
    Weight: 203lbs
    Arms: R- 13 L- 13.5 inchs
    Thighs : 22.5 inchs even
    calves: R- 14.5 L- 14
    Forearms: 11 inchs even
    Shoulders: 50.5
    Hips: 41

Body Fat:

Lean mass: 153.92lbs
    Fat mass: 49.08lbs
    Triceps: 11.2 mm
    Suprailiac:39.9mm
    Umbilicus: 40mm
    Thigh:11.1 mm
    Body Fat:24.17%

As you can all see I have lots of work to do. But I now have my start point and am very interested to see how these figures will change in the next 1 year or so.

Yup I am a fatty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

My advice for what it is worth, you have 365 days or thereabouts before you line up for your raceday. Don't wear yourself out now. You should be building a solid base at this stage. As stated by shotgun above, forget about times for now.

Weight loss will come with training so relax about that too. You need to enjoy this journey too. You will suffer enough during the journey but don't suffer when you don't need to by overtraining or wrecking your head about stuff that is irrelavent at this stage.

Fair play to you, fantastic decision and again you need to make sure that you enjoy this experience.

My advice for what it is worth, you have 365 days or thereabouts before you line up for your raceday. Don't wear yourself out now. You should be building a solid base at this stage. As stated by shotgun above, forget about times for now.

Weight loss will come with training so relax about that too. You need to enjoy this journey too. You will suffer enough during the journey but don't suffer when you don't need to by overtraining or wrecking your head about stuff that is irrelavent at this stage.

Fair play to you, fantastic decision and again you need to make sure that you enjoy this experience.

Thanks both of you for the advice and encouragement appreciate it.

I am sure this question will be answered this week when I meet with my trainer for my pre program schedule but can you tell me what exactly is a solid base? How to work on it ? And the best routine/ stragedy to obtain a solid base ??

I fully take on board the need to enjoy this process and I will more than anything. I think I need to learn how to take things a step at a time. Have a real habit of pushing always looking for more and driving myself for better. Something that can be dangerous this early on so thanks on that note also.

Would really appreciate some ideas of what I can be doing now to get myself in peak for Feb.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

While the core and weights will help you next year, I would not put them at the top of my list....this solid base is more important!

Have you done some heart rate tests - once you work out your zones, base work is loads and loads of cardio efforts in a particular zone. When you start your programme usually about 20-30 weeks out you have a fitness base solid enough to handle the speedwork that starts to kick in during the program. Loose explanation here

For example Don Finks Be Ironfit book has 10 weeks of a base section included in his plans but as you mentioned you want a competitive time, I would be working on it all through the winter as well

IM Wales seems like a fantastic course, last years episode was probably the best TV presentation on Channel 4. Judging by the winners/runners up times in comparision to IM Bolton, its a tough course particularly the bike, so plenty of turbo work over the winter will be needed.

Swimming - can you swim - if not the pool in winter is a perfect place?

Best of luck with it

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

The reason I picked Wales was because of the cycle. I want to take on the tougher of them yet be close enough to home so not to cost people a fortune who come support me and is reachable driving/boat.

I have yet to do the heart rate tests. Sorry for being a dummy but how is this actually calculated ? Can I do it on my own ? Sooner the better I get started on the right track.

I have not swam properly since I was in my teens but I was considered a very strong swimmer as a child as my mother put us through classes for years while in school. I am sure have lost all of that and I will need lots of coaching and like anything else training to get up to speed and cover the distances. I am lucky enough to have an excellent coach and have 24 hour access to a gym and a swimming pool. The bike is the one discipline in all of this I would be confident on, I have the turbo trainer but again heart rates, effort, watts is something I need to brush up on.

Think I now need to get the homework down. I must get my head into the books. Is there anymore books that people suggest along with the Don Finks book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Best of luck with the journey.
    As Brick said a year is a long time to train for a single event. I did it this year and at times found my head drifting and loosing focus, especially with diet.
    I tried to use the winter months to get a good base fitness for the running and bike, and learning to swim correctly
    Then picked a few races to keep the interest alive and only really started the IM specific training a few months before hand.

for reading I spent time on the web reading whatever I could just to get to info.
    I also have "training and racing with power" and "going long".

Thanks Bennymul

I am not to far off on my thoughts in the same way you prepared for your Ironman. It has been suggested maybe taking on a half ironman in April /May just to keep myself fresh and focused. Do people think this is a wise move or will the time it takes to recover eat into valuable time needed to train for the main event ?

My opinion on it was to do maybe some smaller events that ran in sync with actual training for main event and not to take on the likes of a marathon, half ironman etc. All that said I have no experience in any of this and will do what is best for my training and end result so in effect my idea's are irrelevant. I will do whats needed end of.

Thoughts?

I would strongly recommend you to do an 1/2 ironman before taking on the main one. You will learn a lot from that day out, only three in Ireland suitable timewise would be the Tri an Mi in early may, Athy Double Olympic in june and the Humbert Challenge in late July. Groomsport, Kenmare and Galway are too close to Wales

Tri an mhi might be a bit too early for you, thats more suitable for early summer Ironman races but certainly I knew a good few doing the Humbert and then Ironman Wales.

Deffo do a few Olympic races beforehand, its a long year so mix it up a little to keep the interest from waning

The triathletes training bible by Joe Friel would also be required reading.

Here is some more info on heart rate tests

catweazle wrote: »
    I would strongly recommend you to do an 1/2 ironman before taking on the main one. You will learn a lot from that day out, only three in Ireland suitable timewise would be the Tri an Mi in early may, Athy Double Olympic in june and the Humbert Challenge in late July. Groomsport, Kenmare and Galway are too close to Wales

Tri an mhi might be a bit too early for you, thats more suitable for early summer Ironman races but certainly I knew a good few doing the Humbert and then Ironman Wales.

Deffo do a few Olympic races beforehand, its a long year so mix it up a little to keep the interest from waning

The triathletes training bible by Joe Friel would also be required reading.

Here is some more info on heart rate tests

Cheers Catweazle

Can I ask how long do people feel it takes to recover from something like a half ironman or full ironman for that matter ?? I'm sure its probably dependant on physical abilities etc but just in general ??

Nice link you set also very informative. There had been a suggestion of the half ironman in Lisbon so I may look at that as an option also as prep.

Busy week ahead meeting up with coaches etc so very excited to get things going finally. Feels like I have been planning it for years just want to get it all started.

Ordered up them books also, thanks again for all the help and suggestions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    I am lucky enough to have an excellent coach

Best of luck with the journey, similar startings to myself reading through your OP. Just on the quoted bit is this a tri coach? or a general gym coach? Might be worthwhile looking into one if not as it takes all the guessing and homework out of "am i doing the right thing".
    First port of call for me would be bike testing and run testing 9as mentioned earlier) to set some hr zones for running and power zones on the turbo. From that you can then start to look at building sessions around those zones to get the most from your training sessions.

Good luck with it, will read with interest to see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

As JB said it would be great if the coach is Tri specific, in hindsight it would have helped me a lot, there was a lot of messing and at times non focused work.
    One thing is get 1x1 swimming lessons (if needed of course) this is something I didn’t do and my swimming only went so far and then plateaued off.

As for races, I would plan the year first and find races to fit in not the other way around, As for recovery this will vary on your level of fitness and how hard the race was.

Thanks jackyback and bennymul !!

To answer the questions, yes I have a specific Tri coach. I also have a gym / core / base strength instructor and and to top all that off I also have a one on one swim coach to a very high standard. As stated before I am hugely thankful for all the help and expertise been put on offer by top people looking to help me in what my aims and goals are. I cannot be more appreciative of their huge generosity, its very humbling. This is a huge reason why I really want to put my soul into it and prove that their efforts were not wasted.

I am meeting with them all the end of the week so I think a few things need to be ironed out, Firsty set out a proper base program including all the heart zones etc. Next set out my plan around next September and work back from there and look to include mini goals along the way with other races and events. Then its just a matter of getting the right balance of core/gym work and cardio including the 3 disciplines to get me ready for the very first event. Can I ask when should I set my sights on the first event ? Would early Jan be enough time to allow me the base work and get race ready for different smaller events ?

Thanks again for all the advice folks really appreciate the help.

Week has been a mix between light workouts, high intensity shorter session and pretty much getting my house in order so I can execute this plan correctly.

Monday: 5k run at nice comfortable pace 26 mins

Tuesday: early gym session of super sets and light cardio. worked on upper body and arms. trying to get some strength work into my upper body.

Went for a 40k cycle tuesday evening in 1hr 20. Took on a hilly wicklow route. must say there is something about the hills I just love even if I am crap at them.

Weds: Took it handy and did some core work / stomach exercises at home.

Thurs : Delighted I got to meet and organise the swimming coaching/ lessons starting next monday. Coach and myself had a great chat and we spoke in debt about a plan and whats needed going forward, very excited to get it started.

Went for a 5k run that evening with my sister at a much slower pace of 30 mins as she is really only starting into it. Then got some core work in for 20 mins and did 3 k high intensity work on the track. felt very strong and seems to be getting more comfortable with my stride. Great productive day.

Today: Met with the guys who are looking after my gym work and overall fitness regime. They assessed my body structure and movements to show any weaknesses in my movement so to prevent injurys. Scored well in general but struggled with 2 of the movement tests. Nothing serious but very happy we found out now as heavy training may have flared up a bigger injury. Then we did a baseline fitness test to see where I was at and to be honest was embarrassed with the results. Fitness is only a fraction of this whole plan and overall strength and a solid base is huge before getting into the heavy stuff. I know you guys know this you been drilling it into me for the past week. Anyway test involved rowing, squats, sit ups, push ups and pull ups. I really struggled. Looks like there are more than one way to do these exercises and lets just say mine was not the correct way, and it showed today. Taking the positives from it though, Going forward it will make a huge difference to overall strength and can only get quicker.

Back into the guys on Monday morning to complete a fitness test and heart rate tests. All starting to feel a bit more real now.

Tomorrow I plan on getting in a 2-3 hour bike ride nice and early. Just get up and go and see where I end up. No expectations for pace just see how I feel. Sunday we shall take it easy and maybe go to the pool and get into swing of things in prep for Monday.

Waiting on the books to arrive and some protein and fish oils etc. I was also given a nutritional plan and must say I am going to find it hard to get the time to fit in all the eating, really is something I am not used to.

Anyway onwards and upwards

Another good week this week.

Monday: Hit gym at 7.30 am for lots of stretching, trx and core work, very tough but enjoyable. Coaches set me a weight loss target for xmas with some short term goals in there to keep me focused.

11.30 am : Headed to the pool to meet up with my swim coach. I started with 4 25m just to give him an idea of what he was dealing with. It was not pretty. A mix of fatigue from the gym session and very poor technique made for a laughable attempt of a swimming stroke. It was then decided to bring everything back to basics. My head was far to high in the water and as a result my feet were dropping to far under the water making for a lot more work. Really struggled with my breathing also. We worked on 2-3 key issues and I am back there next week hopefully having improved from this weeks practice.

Tuesday: Did an hour in the pool practicing on some floating exercises, angle of stroke and breathing. Felt very weird being back in the water and I have a huge task ahead of me in the water. I had completely forgot everything I was shown over the years through lessons with the school, I will concede it was many moons ago all the same.

Weds: 8.00am back into the gym for more corrective exercises, stretching and strength work. My legs felt very sore as I started my session, My hamstrings in particular so warmed up extra well and went at it. May sound silly but feel I am improving session by session even in so short a space of time. I went into this with a little fitness and although that has maybe not improved I really feel stronger in places like my lower back etc. The guys really have taken extra care with me to start off on the right foot.

1.00pm - Went for a relaxing swim, just focused on floating exercises and my breathing. Did not get bogged down on doing length after length. Legs were sore and just wanted an easy swim concentrating on 2 things. Breathing felt a little easier and I know my stroke count was so much better over 25m for less effort so it is coming around. Can tell already though it is going to take me quite some time to become very comfortable in the water, just as well i have given myself the year.

Today: Took a rest day, think its wise to let my body have a day off. I know my week wasn't very tough but want to try stay fresh as things increase going forward. I think for now less is more until I really get the basics down.

Tomorrow I will head out for a nice LSR and just get some hours in on the saddle. I am heading away to Galway on a stag for the weekend so will get it in before lunch time. Plan on taking it easy on the stag and not drinking but we shall see how that pans out. I am fairly determined but even I know I have limits ;-)

Ironman Wales registration opens this morning !!

I have officially entered, delighted.

Bring on the pain.

Saw it on C4 yesterday morning, looked fantastic and painful. Some of the Pro's were saying it was one of the hardest. Total respect for you taking this on.

One day at a time. Best of luck.

Saw it on C4 yesterday morning, looked fantastic and painful. Some of the Pro's were saying it was one of the hardest. Total respect for you taking this on.

One day at a time. Best of luck.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into it now and enjoying the process and whatever it throws at me. Watched the Wales episode also looke like they had perfect conditions. The cycle looked seriously tough also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Got excited reading your log...I'm in a similar position myself, lost weight in the last year, got into cycling and am now looking for the next challenge and thinking of a triathlon.
    An iornman in a year, wow.....that would be a challenge
    Best of luck and look forward to the log.

Thanks Del88. I have been missing the last couple of weeks from posting on here. Came down with a chest infection and only back into the swing of things this week. It has also taken lots more time than expected organising everything needed to make it all work. That said no complaints I have a super team around me and if it fails there will be nobody to blame bar myself, thats not going to happen though ;-)

Will start updating more regularly from the next week just tying up a few lose ends this week. tks again

• Advertisement

Hey folks long time away from posting some proper logs on training.

Will kick off Monday with a run down as it happens of the week for whoever might actually be remotely interested ha.

So far since last training posts:

Launched the charity for my niece and website going live next week.

Been working hard on conditioning and strength and have dropped my weight down to 87kg so going in the right direction, more importantly body shape certainly changing and losing the inches, feel a lot stronger also. Be a tough ask getting to 78kg by Christmas but going to give it a damn good try.

Confirmed all the sponsors and trainers who are on board to help with my task. I will post a link when the website is launched so you can have a look.

Having been out with a chest infection missed a few weeks training but working hard again in the pool and feel this is most important for now to get good basics and technique before I start putting in the serious hours.

Bike and running has been drastically cut back as i had mentioned in earlier post working on some corrective exercises so running completely out. The bike is down to twice a week for the minute with a mix of long spins some week and short hard intensive others.

Overall training kicking in about 10 hours per week thereabouts. Get the body in the right shape and condition for xmas then kick off with a bang January.

Anyways just a quick recap, Come Monday will document it all a little clearer.

Thanks

Monday- Having jumped on the dart at 7.15 to go in and support some friends in the marathon and being completely inspired watching everyone in there I came home and hit the gym. Nice hour workout just getting some core work in, some nice TRX stomach crunches, pull ups, push ups, isolated leg squats and rotational strengthening. I then got in a 5k run at a nice pace of 22 mins.

Tuesday - Nice little spurt on the bike taking in some of the Wicklow hills. all in all did a nice 50k in 1hr 50 mins, nothing major again just getting the kegs loose as plan to gradually build on distance and speed on the run up to the new year.

Today - Hit the pool for an hour this evening. Did nothing in the way of distance. It was only drill work. Three things I focused on in particular, thats skulling, hip rotation and keeping myself high up on the waterline by keeping head well under. Sounds easy but far from it in practice. I think time spent on these few things now will stand to me no end come the long hard training days.

Plan for tomorrow is hit the gym early for core work and then in the afternoon more of the same with the swimming drills.

Keep her lit

Thursday :

Hit the gym at 10.00 am , got straight into my 15 minute warm up including all my corrective exercises, was feeling pretty good and ready for a tough session. Completed warm up and felt great then started into my routine and bang, nothing, just felt tired and spent, everything was an effort but I was determined to finish the workout so I just kept going. In the end managed a good solid hour with the last 10 mins just high intensity bursts.

Went home and got some lunch into me and ended up taking a nap for a half hour. When I woke I felt great so went for a swim session at 5.00.

Swim session consisted of again skulling, hip rotation and height in the water. With 15 mins left on the clock I decided to get in a few lengths, just concentrating on what I have been working on. Have to say there is a noticeable difference in the ease of my strokes and speed through the water so very happy with that.

So in the end not a bad day done but wouldn't like every session to be such an effort. Just opens my eyes to the importance of sleep, diet and overall commitment. If everything is not in check you increase your chances of poor lackluster sessions.

Friday : Just back from my gym session and I am disgusted. Pulled my back out doing some dead lifts, it's a re-acurring injury but one that has not given me trouble in well over a year, had thought it was gone. Basically the lower right hand side of my back / pelvis comes out of alignment. I had my legs and back locked out lifting the weight and it wasn't too heavy as I have lifted heavier, On the way up I hear and feel a click and bang comes the pain. Trying to get into the physio for 7 tonight just waiting on a call back.

To say it screws with my plans / timetable is an understatement. I guess better now than half way through my program but nonetheless I am seriously frustrated right now.

Hope I'm not out for weeks, Only just back from a chest infection.

1 step forward 2 steps back

Just back from physio , sprained / torn ligaments in my lower back. Feeling a lot worse than it actually is. A deep massage with some dry needling has me hobbling but reckons I will be back doing light stuff by next Thursday.

Back for more treatment Tuesday. Sucks but I guess I am lucky it's not bad. Last time I had it I was out for 4-5 weeks.

Suck it up

Buachaill it sounds to me like it might be your Sacroiliac joint in your pelvis. I am speaking from experience here. what happens to me if I leave my training and stretching slip for a while (my belly expends and puts pressure on my back).

What happens is the joint pops out of line, the muscles on the left side of the back tighten up around the area and pull my whole body out of line. This is extremely painful. Basic movements can be impossible. The only solution for this is to have my Chiropractor pop the joint back into line.

My recommendation to you is to go and see a Chiropractor as your physio will normally only work with the muscular issues while a Chiropractor will work with your skeleton. You have a long way to go before Wales next year so don't worry about the big traing schedule for now, get your back right.

oh by the way fair play to you for your efforts to date. I commend you.

Thanks Brick appreciate the advice.

Your bang on with your thoughts thats exactly whats happened and not for the first time. I have been to Chiropractors, Osteopaths, Physio's before and the only one that gets the thing right is my sports therapist and thats with some bone crunching and dry needling.

I am really surprised it happened, was a warm up session really have lifted much heavier, legs and back were locked out and everything was as it should be. That said it was still 90kg but I am used to lifting much heavier at times. I guess I need to pay more attention to my body in the future.

Pain wise its the worst I have had it but its only the back going into spasm to protect the strain / tear from getting worse. Feel a lot better today which is a nice bonus as the last time it happened I couldn't move for days, again the fact I am stronger, fitter and went to my physio straight after I'm sure played a huge part.

Back at it next week, only thing I can now control is my diet so I will pay big attention to that for now.

Tks again for the post

Still off the feet for next few days, back in the physio tomorrow morning.

On a happier note, went and bought a garmin 910xt yesterday. I know there has been mixed reports on them but overall they seem to win over any other.

While I am off my feet I may as well go pick up my wetsuit. I am clueless when it coms to suits. Can I please ask people to help with some suggestions. My budget is 400 ish. May go more should I be convinced its worthy of it regardless of ability but something tells me I already know the answer to this ;-)

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    While I am off my feet I may as well go pick up my wetsuit. I am clueless when it coms to suits. Can I please ask people to help with some suggestions. My budget is 400 ish. May go more should I be convinced its worthy of it regardless of ability but something tells me I already know the answer to this ;-)

Are you planning to lose weight before the Ironman, if so I would wait till you are closer to race weight before buying one. What might be perfect for you now might be a little loose come summer. No hurry in buying a wetsuit till next May anyways. 400 will get you plenty of bang for your buck, its more than enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

^^^^^^ what CW said.....

Wait until you get some swimming done over the winter and see how you go. If you are struggling or have trouble holding good form then a more buoyant wetsuit may be better for you; if you are flying then a less buoyant thinner material one may be better.

Advertisement